Trying to decide on a gun....

This is a discussion on Trying to decide on a gun.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just try the Walther PPS 9mm It is in a class by itself...small, single stack, double action, and the most tame recoil for a 3 ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Trying to decide on a gun....

Just try the Walther PPS 9mm
    It is in a class by itself...small, single stack, double action, and the most tame recoil for a 3 inch barrel. Same as my Sig.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Let me try and get this thread back on track;

It makes no difference with revolver or semi, pick whatever floats your boat. The basics will transfer to each other should you change your mind. For your first gun, you really need to pick something that is manageable for your skill level (NO POCKET GUNS, HUGE MISTAKE!), and something that uses relatively inexpensive ammo (9mm 38 spl) so you can afford to shoot and shoot to gain your skills. Online forums will give you some really well intentioned but really bad advice, but luckily here on DC, most of it is pretty good advice. Good luck.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glock 26. Not just cause I like nut because people can swear by it.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Thanks all! I've got a great list to start with. I probably wont be able to check back much after this till we're done with our move. So I'm going to try all these and go from there. Thanks again!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Since you have small hands, you should be looking at single stack pistols and in the 9mm caliber which has good stopping power but manageable recoil. Therefore, my suggestion is that you go to your local gun shop and check out the Kel-Tec PF9, Kahr PM9, Walther PPS, Ruger LC9 and Kimber Solo. Of all these, I recommend the Walther PPS 9mm since it is highly reliable, has great ergonomics, good capacity (6 - 8 rounds depending on the magazine) and it is extremely thin and compact so it will feel like a glove in your tiny hands.

Walther PPS 9mm

If the grip on a double stack pistol does not bother your tiny hands, then your best options are the Glock 26, Springfield XD9SC, HK P2000sk, Smith & Wesson M&P9c and the Sig Sauer P239. Of all these, I recommend the Glock 26 since it is extremely reliable, it has a capacity of 10 rounds (it also accepts other larger capacity magazines as well) and there are tons of accessories, spare parts and holsters for it. This is the most popular sub-compact pistol on the market IMHO.

Glock 26 9mm

If after trying out a 9mm pistol you think that it has too much recoil for you and you choose a pistol in the .380 caliber, then I recommend you take a look at the Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry, Sig Sauer P232, Sig Sauer P238, Walther PPK/S, Walther PK380 and Kahr P380. Of all these, I recommend the Sig Sauer P232. Avoid buying ultra compact .380 pistols like the Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P-3AT since they are small but pack quite a punch due to their small barrel, size and weight.

Sig Sauer P232 .380 Auto

Another solid option is to try out a J frame revolver in .38 special such as the S&W 642/442, Ruger LCR or Ruger SP-101, but make sure you shoot one before you buy one since they can have considerable felt recoil. A J frame revolver is the most reliable firearm there is and it is very easy to conceal. Of all these, I recommend you buy the Ruger LCR since it has a very smooth trigger, it is lightweight and you can buy it with XS night sights or a crimson trace laser grip for improved accuracy and control.

Ruger LCR .38 Special

Anyhow, the best advice is to go handle as many pistols as you can, try to shoot some of them and buy whatever feels good in your hand, you can shoot accurately and you can get a hood holster and price for it. Congratulations on your decision to purchase your first handgun and make sure that you get good defensive ammo (jacket hollow point such as Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, Cor-Bon DPX, Federal Hydrashok, etc.), take a self-defense shooting course and that you visit your local range at least once a month for practice.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

again...the Walther PPS 9mm, is in a class by itself...It is great for small hands, has surprisingly light recoil for a single stack. Its recoil is the same as my mid-size double stack Sig. This is not a pocket gun....and is totally different from a Keltec PF9, or a poly Kahr...which you could never classify as a "range gun". My smaller than average 11yr. old picked it up last week for the first time and was hitting a 10" plate at ten yards consistently and racking the slide. I can shoot all day with the PPS at the range and never tire, and the quality of current issues is fantastic....good luck...

Ditto on a trip to the firing range AND before the gun show to establish what caliber you are comfortable with firing
    Try a few guns you like in the same caliber and if the recoil is too much go down a caliber
    Basically your carry gun "should" be of the largest caliber gun you shoot well and is a size you will find comfortable carring
    IF you are only going to own one gun make sure it's one you'll carry in the summer
    Remember to keep in mind how you will carry your 1st peacemaker because it may make a difference on the choice you make
    Happy Hunting

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links