Trying to decide on a gun....

This is a discussion on Trying to decide on a gun.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to decide what to pick up for my first handgun. I was all set to get a Bond Arms Derringer, but then I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Trying to decide on a gun....

I'm trying to decide what to pick up for my first handgun. I was all set to get a Bond Arms Derringer, but then I stepped back and got realistic (I will have one someday, but I don't think I should be relying on it for EDC). Here's my list so far:

Springfield XD-9 Subcompact
    GLOCK 26
    Colt Government .380 PocketLite
    SIG P239

The only one I've held so far is the Springfield. I haven't fired it, just held. Felt ok in the hand, maybe a little large for me (I knew nothing of sizing when I held it, but thinking back I think it was a touch large, I'll hold one again though, so I'll be able to double check.) I was surprised at the weight of it though.

I have tiny tiny tiny hands. (Think womens size small or xsmall.) My husband always makes me assemble computers and such because my hands can easily fit into the cases LOL.

The only handgun I've ever fired was my husbands Luger (don't know model) 22LR. I did NOT like it. There was something about it I just hated. I think part of my hate for it was/is my general fear of handguns. I'm taking an NRA course on 5/15, so I'm hoping that will help with my fear. I mean...I use super sharp deadly knives every day (cooking) and I'm not afraid I'm going to slit my throat on accident, I don't know why I think guns are different.

Anyway....Those of you that have a lot more experience then me (which is pretty much all of you...) do you mind telling me the pros and cons (in your opinion) of each of these guns, and feel free to give suggestions of other guns I might look into as well. We have a gun show coming up on 4/15 so I'll have the opportunity to "try on" lots of different guns.

Thanks!!!

Not 100% sure about the area you are in; however, here our local gun range has a big selection of handguns you can rent and try at the range. I think that is the best idea overall, try several and do not rush yourself to make up your mind until you know you will be happy.

Just my thinking,
    bps3040 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hey Tegan - welcome aboard. Kerby has a great idea. If you can find a range in your area that rents guns, you can familiarize yourself with many models, and not just in holding them either.

Given your small hands, I would possibly look at some of the new compact 9mms coming out. The Ruger LC9 being an affordable one, but certainly not the only one. Ask the shop clerks if you can dry fire the guns you hold. There are different kinds of triggers and you may find that you like a certain type of trigger pull better than others. This can make a big difference in the way a gun feels and its accuracy as well. Take your time and find what is right for you.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tegan View Post

Springfield XD-9 Subcompact
    GLOCK 26
    Colt Government .380 PocketLite
    SIG P239

I have tiny tiny tiny hands. (Think womens size small or xsmall.)
    The Colt Gov't Pocketlite has been out of production since the mid 90's, Colt is bringing back the Mustang to compete against the Sig P238 but the Gov't size .380 is going to be hard to find. If you have smaller than average hands (for a female) the Sig 239 may still be too large pending on what exact model you're going for, same with the Glock. My wife was never able to get a good amount of trigger finger on Glocks until the 4th gen guns came out. of the guns you have listed I would probably suggest the XD9SC but be aware that smaller guns are going to have stiffer recoil springs.

Sig or Glock are both good...

Of the guns you mentioned I am most familiar with the Sig P239 and the Glock 26. I believe that either one of these would fit the typical woman's hand and perform reliably for you. The Sig is the heaviest (27.5 ounces empty) but handles recoil well and has a small grip and short trigger reach. My wife has no problem shooting it.

The Glock 26 is lighter weight because of its polymer frame (about 21 ounces empty) and has a shorter grip but slightly larger capacity because of a staggered magazine design. It is about the same thickness as the Sig.

The Sig is a better looking gun, in my opinion. You should handle and shoot both before deciding. Here is my Sig, which has a nickel frame to match the stainless slide, with Hogue aluminum grip panels:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

M&P

The S&W M&P 9 and compact 9 come with 3 different sizes of grips you can choose from. Great option for those with smaller or larger hands. They are easy to swap out too. I have the M&P full size.

I EDC a GLOCK 19 which was too big for my wife's hands. My hands are not what I would consider big but it fits me good. She decided she wanted a 9mm pistol so she tried on an XD, SR9, M&P, and finally a GLOCK 27 (same size as GLOCK 26) which happened to have a +0 pinky extension on the magazine, that was it. She loves her mother's day GLOCK 26. For EDC I would recommend staying with 9mm or larger, would even mess with .380.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    ^ Good advice from Joker.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The Colt Gov't Pocketlite has been out of production since the mid 90's, Colt is bringing back the Mustang to compete against the Sig P238 but the Gov't size .380 is going to be hard to find. If you have smaller than average hands (for a female) the Sig 239 may still be too large pending on what exact model you're going for, same with the Glock. My wife was never able to get a good amount of trigger finger on Glocks until the 4th gen guns came out. of the guns you have listed I would probably suggest the XD9SC but be aware that smaller guns are going to have stiffer recoil springs.
    I would completely agree with this and FYI the sig p238 will take mustang magazines so no buying $50 sig mags!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Ex Member
    I carry a .38 Cobra derringer on occasion. The rest of the time I pocket carry a S&W 60 frame, or belt carry a S&W 66.

Tough decision, all are good guns,I really like my Springfield XD40sc

I always advise someone purchasing their first pistol to go to a local range that rents guns, and try several. You will eventually find the one that "fits" - the one that feels best in your hand and with which you are able to hit what you are aiming at.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

JD
    Administrator
    There are no local ranges in Central Iowa that rent guns that I've found so far and I've been looking around for two years. We're woefully under served in the range department out here. If I had the $$$ I'd be building one right now.

The problem with the Sigs are that with small hands unless the gun has a short trigger, and sometimes even then a small hand has a hard time getting good placement on the trigger, same with the Glocks.

A 1911 in 9mm such as the Springfield EMP might be a good option as Lima does have smaller hands and has no problem getting a good grip on one and trigger reach has never been an issue for her.

As for the Gov't .380, the Sig P238 might be an option, but I would wait for the re-issue of the Colt Mustang.

The above mentioned S&W M&P Compact is bot a bad option, and the Kahr P9 or K9 might also be worth looking at. While we don't have any ranges that rent, at least go to Scheels over @ Jordan Creek, Bass Pro in Anekeny, and Sportsmans Warehouse to get a handle on a couple different models. Ask around at your NRA class for those that have friends with multiple guns and see if you can schedule a range trip.

You want a gun that fits your hand in a caliber you can control. You will need to handle them for yourself, but will probably eliminate all the double stacks including those with interchangeable back straps. FWIW the baby GLOCK and XD are quite snappy for a 9mm and very susceptible to malfunctions with slightest amount of limp- wristing.

Align the gun with your forearm and check trigger reach. For a single action you need enough trigger finger to reach the center of the pad of the first joint. For a traditional double action you need enough trigger finger to reach the outside edge of the trigger with the crease of the first joint (power crease) in order to have enough leverage to pull it.

Given your list that probably leaves the Sig and Colt, both excellent. Try before you buy if at all possible. You may find the .380 in a flyweight gun delivers more recoil than a 9mm in a heavier gun.
    As an added suggestion, handle/shoot a Kahr K-9. It is a single stack all steel 9mm and has surprisingly soft recoil.

Yep, I've found a few places that do private lessons that you can rent a FEW kinds of guns from, but no range rentals. I do have friends that have good collections so I'll be trying their stuff as well (they are all stoked that a "chick" is getting into guns LOL).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links