1911 for a Newbie

This is a discussion on 1911 for a Newbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, do 1911 grips fit all 1911's? And for that matter, do all 1911 mags fit 1911?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HK Dan

Thread: 1911 for a Newbie

Distinguished Member

1911 for a Newbie

So, do 1911 grips fit all 1911's? And for that matter, do all 1911 mags fit 1911?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

Well, sorta.

There are three basic 1911 sizes - full size, with 5" barrel; Commander size, with 4-4.25" barrel, and Officer's Model size, with 3-3.5" barrel (using Colt names to describe the sizes... Springfield, Kimber and others have different names). The first two have the same grip length, and accommodate 7- and 8-round magazines, with 7 rounds being "standard," if there is such a thing. These two will use the same size grip panels.

The Officer's Model has a shorter grip length, so the grip panels are shorter and so is the magazine. Standard OM mags hold 6 rounds, and 7-rounders (and more) available.

The Officer's Model
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    You da man, Smitty. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Well, sorta.
    There are three basic 1911 sizes - full size, with 5" barrel; Commander size, with 4-4.25" barrel, and Officer's Model size, with 3-3.5" barrel (using Colt names to describe the sizes... Springfield, Kimber and others have different names). The first two have the same grip length, and accommodate 7- and 8-round magazines, with 7 rounds being "standard," if there is such a thing. These two will use the same size grip panels.

The Officer's Model has a shorter grip length, so the grip panels are shorter and so is the magazine. Standard OM mags hold 6 rounds, and 7-rounders (and more) available.

The Officer's Model
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Just to confuse matters, there also are thin grip panels made for all three 1911 sizes, grips with cutouts for ambi safeties, and panels that fit bobtail frames. Go to one of the grip manufacturer sites and they will have descriptions of the various grip options.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

If you get a 1911 clone, think you will be happy with it-they are infinitely customizable and very reliable. A good source for customization is Brownell's gunsmith catalogs found here: World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells The big catalog costs $5+ and is well worth it. They make a catalog that is FREE for the asking for 1911 models and has everything imaginable from grips to barrels and comps. Lots of little hard to find nice parts too. I prefer Springfield myself as they will generally shoot about 1/2" groups at 25yrds (not 7 like most gun sports writers show us in magazines) and there's not much else needed. Wilson makes good springs, shock-buffs, magazines and full-length guide rods. If you get an old beater gun to fix up, best addition would be a Dyer Group Gripper & full length guide rod system. It tightens up sloppy shooter groups and makes it a better gun for about $30-best investment. I also polish the feed ramp and inside hood (top of barrel) and bottom inside of barrel good to make sure smooth as this is cause of most jams-other than a bad magazine. Good Luck, Happy Shooting!

This site sells grips...Esmeralda's Grips...I"ve purchased 3 sets from her.
    This site explains and shows pics of different grips and sizes.
    Hope it helps visually.

http://www.esmeralda.cc/
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    So, I did some research and found a Sig STX. I pick it up tomorrow. So slammed this week that it will be another week before I can get to the range. My main concern is the pretty grips. I'm thinking Hogue wraparounds for the steadiness and grip. Thoughts? Comes with two mags. Pretty sure I'll need two more. More thoughts?

I found out the hard way ,back last Christmas I ordered a set of laser grips from Crimson Trace laser,for a compact,paid $350.00..after I got them in the mail,tryed to put them on to find out that Springfeilds EMP pistol,which is the smalest 191 made which comes in 9 mil or 40 cal., mine is 40. cal there grip size is smaller than a compact size,officers ect...So now im stuck with them... :( guess ill have to buy a gun to fit them..

Heads up man. The 1911 will require a level of dedication that most handguns do not. They are the Hollywood Trophy Wife of combat weapons--you'll need to spend time on the grip that you wouldn't need to spend with another gun. You'll need to spend time on cleaning and maintenance that other guns would slough off. When you go to shoot at speed the first time, expect it to choke and puke on ya. You'll spend time fretting over ammo choices and spend time and money finding one that it "likes". Your magazines may fit, but not all of them work well in every gun. If I have a Colt that like Chip McCormicks, I may have a Springfield that jams every shot with the same exact mags.

You pay a lot for a 1911. And then you pay a lot more after you've settled the bill. I own 6 of them now (just bought 2 Springfield ROs for competition, because with a 1911 2 is 1 and 1 is none). If you're willing to put the time in and train--read as think--you'll enjoy the gun. If you're not, it'll be gone in short order and you'll be shooting a GLOCK by this time next year.
    tmoore912 likes this.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    My main concern is the pretty grips. I'm thinking Hogue wraparounds for the steadiness and grip. Thoughts?
    That beautiful gun already has checkering on the front strap. If you want more grip, just buy some type of textured grips and call it a day. Please stay away from the hogue wrap arounds, or I may have to shoot myself.

ETA: I'm just bustin your choops
    Last edited by tmoore912; March 31st, 2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

JD
    Administrator
    Hogue has some nice textured panels w/ palm swell, you can get nice grippy panels without covering the checkering. I perfer VZ G10 grips in either the 320 or ETC pattern.

Cool

I no longer own a 1911 however I have it's younger cousin the P-35 Hi-Power and I tried several styles of grips on it but for just plain "purty" I put the checkered Hogue coco bolo panels on. As ret said esmerelda makes "purty" grips also.

photo.jpgP25150805.jpg
    Click photo to enlarge.

I have enclosed photos of the Coco Bolo grips and the Rubber Wrap Around grips on the same P-35. There is a definate difference in "purty"..
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Links