.38 snubby question

This is a discussion on .38 snubby question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; photo.jpg A good fitting grip makes a heck of a difference....... I do not pocket carry so the grip size is of no consequence to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: .38 snubby question

Cool

photo.jpg

A good fitting grip makes a heck of a difference....... I do not pocket carry so the grip size is of no consequence to me.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

Thanks, everyone. This is really helpful. Great forum.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    as much as I like my 442 I would listen to azchevy he has done a LOT of testing with the LCR and it is an awesome gun that I will be adding to my collection soon.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

They're as accurate as the shooter even my "cheap" charter off duty at 13 ounces can hold a 1.5 inch group at 25 feet. If I have to use it in a self defense situation I'm just going to rip the trigger so really doesn't matter much what the gun is capable of doing on paper at the range, its more of a belly gun IMO. S&W has come down with their prices get yourself a nice 642 and throw it in a pocket holster.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Your last sentence described inherent accuracy.

What snubbies don't have is PRACTICAL accuracy...
    Look again, we are both saying the same thing.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

I've owned my S&W 442 for several years and I love it. Ultimate in carry versatility and I actually enjoy shooting it. I have shot thousands of rounds through it and I have developed surprising accuracy out to 25 and 35 yards. I shoot 5" steel plates and bowling pins at these distances and can hit them easily and repeatedly. I did replace both the hammer and trigger return springs on mine with a Wolff spring set and polished the internals. It shoots great to me, not brutal at all. Buddies of mine don't like it, but I have very thick hands and wrists and I grew up shooting revolvers. Any small light gun is going to have considerable felt recoil. That's just a matter of physics. It just depends on what you are used to and what you can manage. The sights are what they are, but if you're used to shooting revolvers it isn't a problem. Accuracy isn't a matter of the gun, it is a matter of what degree of accuracy can you attain with a given gun. With a commitment to practice, you can become proficient with the light snubs within several hundred rounds. I shoot 50 to 100 through mine each range trip with no problem. The LCR is very popular, Ruger is a reputable company, and it seems to have a nice trigger out of the box. My personal preference is the S&W 442 because it is just a tad smaller. I would recommend finding a range or a friend that has some you can shoot...that's the only way to really know for yourself.

Here is mine...the old school Chief Special wooden grip fits my hand best and I'm able to achieve surprising accuracy with it. The second pic is with the factory grips. Next is my old S&W 49 steel frame, and the last is my Ruger SP101. One can be very efficient and effective with a snubbie if they work at it.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If you want something that you can shoot a lot, think about a 32 caliber pistol. I bought a S&W 432PD last December, and I've been very pleased with it. Loaded with BlackHills JHP, the 32H&R beats the ballistics of the 380ACP, and the revolver is not as temperamental as a lot of the tiny little 380 pistols. I get six shots compared to five with a 38 caliber pistol It's easy to find 32S&W Long ammo to practice with, so I can save the harder to find H&R mag rounds for carry. I was surprised at how well I could shoot the gun, as I have very minimal experience with a revolver. (I should add that my everyday carry pistol is a Glock 26, so I don't carry the J-frame full time.)

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Forget the gimmicks, and buy a nice base airweight gun, or if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, the M&P versions are really nice too. The learning curve is fairly steep with the J frames, but I'm one that enjoys shooting them. (With light 38sp loads )
    I agree...an air-weight is as light as you need to go....not heavy on the ankle or pocket but manageable recoil wise...practice one handed point shooting at 15 feet since and you'll be surprised what a good defensive handgun it can be..

Administrator
    The Stainless steel or all Carbon steel snubbies are not very heavy & with a decent gun belt and a good holster - you'll be able to wear it all day long & not even know that you're carrying it.
    Old School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Look again, we are both saying the same thing.
    Uh... nope. You wrote that "snubbies are not inherently accurate." Inherent is defined as something possessed by that object. IOW, there is a difference as to what the gun can do mechanically, and what it can in the hands of a shooter. With good ammunition, a J frame in a Ransom Rest will print amazing groups at 50 yards. But in the next sentence, you alluded to that. So I'm not sure exactly WHAT you meant to say.

All I know is that the sentence "snubbies are not inherently accurate" is... inaccurate.

checkout hydra-porting to significantly reduce recoil on most/many revolvers, etc

From my experience with lots of different snubbies, a grip that fits your hands well is number 1 thing you can do for better accuracy. After that trigger control is next most important to enable you to keep the gun from moving around (the right size and shape grip helps). Smooth trigger is 3rd on my list because with staging the trigger on good quality guns the trigger is less of an issue. Adjustable sights is last.

I have a 1970s vintage Model 10 2" with a fantastic trigger but with the standard grips it would move around in my hand. Swap out the standard smith grips for some finger groove bantams it fits my hand and I can then take advantage of the good trigger. The only snubbie better than my Model 10 from an accuracy point was a Model 15 2" with better adjustable sights that a friend owns... I need to convince him to sell it to me.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    From my experience with lots of different snubbies, a grip that fits your hands well is number 1 thing you can do for better accuracy. After that trigger control is next most important to enable you to keep the gun from moving around (the right size and shape grip helps). Smooth trigger is 3rd on my list because with staging the trigger on good quality guns the trigger is less of an issue. Adjustable sights is last.

I have a 1970s vintage Model 10 2" with a fantastic trigger but with the standard grips it would move around in my hand. Swap out the standard smith grips for some finger groove bantams it fits my hand and I can then take advantage of the good trigger. The only snubbie better than my Model 10 from an accuracy point was a Model 15 2" with better adjustable sights that a friend owns... I need to convince him to sell it to me.
    Then you can sell me your Model 10 2" which is what I carried back in the early 70's and loved it. Only duty weapon I have ever fired in the line of duty. Had Super Vel 110 gr. in it and it performed just as intended. Now get back to work Erik and finish the Quick Clip holster for my SP-101.....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have an assortment of snubbies including a model 10, 642, 442, Chief, Bodyguard, Detective special and LCR. Love 'em all but typically carry the 642 or LCR (keeping the 442 unfired). My LCR has a great trigger, but the guy who sold it to me bought another and it was lousy. As for accuracy, target accuracy isn't required to keep all your rounds in center mass out to 10 yards or so. I practice point-shooting a lot out to 7 yards as that's the maximum range at which most defensive encounters occur and chances are your either not going to be able to see the sights, or will be in too big a hurry to use them. I have no problem keeping them in center-mass. My defense load is 4.7 grains of Unique under a 158 gr LSWCHP which gives me around 850 fps (chronographed). It's not a plus P, but it's serious and I can practice with it without serious pain. I also have a light practice load--2.7 gr or 3.3 gr of Trailboss with the same bullet . Very comfortable to shoot. At close ranges the POI isn't enough different to matter--that's the load I shoot the most. I also use those plastic Speer practice rounds (primer powered) in my "man cave" with some old carpet as a bullet trap. Fun and all practice with your carry weapon is valuable. You might check out snubby guru Michael Bethancourt's videos on youtube--good stuff.
    Good luck!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    In terms of accuracy, it all depends on the shooter and how well he can handle the recoil, trigger control, flinching control and the grip he uses. Therefore, I would recommend the S&W 642/442 or the 638/438, the Ruger LCR and the Ruger SP-101. Of all these, the Ruger LCR has the best sights since they make a model with XS Sights factory installed on it. In terms of recoil handling, the Ruger SP-101 is heavier and can shoot .357 Magnum + .38 Special so you could load it with .38 Special and you would be able to shoot it more accurately.

Like others said, shoot a snubbie first before buying one because they can be snappy and painful to shoot. I am one of those "masochists" that love to shoot my snubbie. I shoot 50-100 rounds of standard practice ammo and 10 - 15 rounds of JHP per session. Sure, my hand is throbbing with pain afterwards but it is awesome!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links