Range report : SW 351PD in 22 wmr

This is a discussion on Range report : SW 351PD in 22 wmr within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally made it to the range today with the 351PD revolver. This is a 10 oz, 7 shot j frame revolver with titanium cylinder ...

Thread: Range report : SW 351PD in 22 wmr

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

I finally made it to the range today with the 351PD revolver. This is a 10 oz, 7 shot j frame revolver with titanium cylinder and aluminum alloy frame. It has a 2 inch barrel and is well made with a beautiful wood boot style grip.
    now, the bad news. I had great difficulty extracting spent cases- apparently they would sort of fire-form to the cylinder, and I would have to tap the ejector rod with a mallet to ease them out. Getting them started wasn't enough- i couldn't get them out by hand until they were nearly falling out anyway! I had heard about this, but man what a trial it was. much worse than just sticky cases.
    i suspect the gun is fairly accurate, but who can tell with the very light weight and very heavy trigger. in single action, it was okay though the sights (a fiber optic front and fixed rear notch) did not like me too much. in double action i would sometimes miss fairly wildly from 7 yards no matter what i tried. great concentration was needed. recoil is very minimal of course.
    i like the gun still, but basically it cannot be reloaded quickly, which sort of lets it out for some roles. the 22 mag loads are fairly loud, but not as bad as i feared. the gun is very ammo sensitive with resperct to point of impact, with heavier bullets mysteriously hitting lower.
    i cannot recommend it at the price (I paid 500 new). still, it has its weird sort of charm.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

VIP Member
    I've got the same gun in .22LR and I have to whack the ejector sharply to eject the cases. Nothing like you're experiencing though. The darn thing is so light I forget it's in my pocket!

You're right though, it has its charm!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Break out the Dremmel,.22cal. copper bore brush,very fine grit polishing media(jewlers rouge) and see if that will cut/polish Ti. I believe that it will.

Please let us know the fix, and good luck. -------

RSSZ-
    thanks for the suggestion. is the idea that the insides of the charge holes are not smooth? they look smooth, but i am not an expert. i am a little scared to mess around with titanium, about which i know nothing.
    i wrote to S&W, and will report. it is an amazing problem i have never seen before.
    God Bless

No metal brushs should be used in Ti cylinders--better check you manual for the gun.I might try a little teflon dry lube in the chamber.

Any good S&W armorer can improve the trigger.

It is a neat gun, but I can see NO application for it. High priced shells with lots of fire but not a lot of velocity from a 2" gun.

Just my Opinion. :)
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Lubrication?

Your problem is puzzling, since you would not think that S&W would sell a revolver with this severe difficulty in extracting fired cases.

I assume that the gun is brand new, and that you didn't prepare it in any way before the first range trip? Perhaps after a good cleaning and some sort of very light lubrication inside the chambers it will work better. On all my revolvers, I finish the cleaning by running a patch down each chamber with a drop of oil on the patch. My theory is that the light oil works into the tiny pores and cracks in the metal and aids in ejection.

I have posted a picture of your gun and ammo so people know what it looks like. The magnum ammo is the tall one on the right.
    Last edited by pogo2; August 10th, 2006 at 12:24 PM.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    .22LR and .22mags burn very dirty. IMO what you want to do is smooth the inside of the cyl. You do not want to open up the ID of the individual chambers. But if you could make them shiny(for Ti) smooth it might help. Ti is very hard to work with. I have never seen Ti that was very smooth/slick to the touch.

It would probably be better if you had something that would smooth it with a in and out stroke vs. a spinning. If KC135 suggests no metal then howz 'bout a .22cal. mop brush with some very fine polishing compound spun very fast.

Please keep us informed what the fix is. -------

Sorry to hear of your problems. I just ran 100 federal hollowpoints through mine. Ejection was fine, but unburned powder collected under the star and caused binding. The nature of the beast , but still a cool gun and it is a 7 shot J frame. Excellent as an ankle gun/back up gun. Good luck, John

Word from the Sages of Springfield arrived today- send the revolver in to us for examination. I will do so and await their conclusions.
    God Bless

Sponsored Links