Kahr pm9 PROBLEM

This is a discussion on Kahr pm9 PROBLEM within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a relative newbie to firearms I think I will just send it to Kahr if need be. Thanks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kahr pm9 PROBLEM

As a relative newbie to firearms I think I will just send it to Kahr if need be. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Now i'm thinking about dumping this thing, problem after problem i'm reading. Debates over racking or slide release chambering the first round? who needs it when people say that a Glock 26 will perform flawless out of the box?

How do you plan to carry? If you are looking to pocket carry, then the Glock 26 is really not an option (yes, I know some claim to do it...whatever). If you will be carrying on the belt, however, then the Glock is superior in every way - but - it will be larger and heavier.

That said, you should probably have someone else shoot it. If you are new to shooting, it is possible you are not gripping the gun tightly enough ("Limp wristing"). This can induce a malfunction, and is common with new shooters and small pistols, which are by nature harder to hang on to. If someone else can shoot it without issue, then you know the issue is you. If not, and an experienced shooter has the same problems, then send it back to Kahr and let them fix it. If you sell or trade it, you will lose a bunch of money on the deal.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Well this continues to only happen on the very first round out, I should have my buddy try it? yeah I want a pocket gun. I think I will give this more time and see if the issue gets worked out. And does Kahr really want you to replace the recoil spring every 1000 rounds?? why?? I love the gun but I see people say that because it is so thin, tolerances are much tighter. I have a full size XDM 9 for holster carry that shoots like a champ and really want this pm9 to work as a dedicated pocket gun. I just know I will for sure carry every day with a pocket gun. thanks

If you want a pocket gun, then yes, have your buddy try it, assuming he is an experienced shooter. Pearce might make a +0 pinky extension for the 6 round mag, which would also help you get a better grip on the gun.

Edit - they do...http://www.kahr.com/search/pearce-gr...nsion-pm9.aspx

When I started having failures to return to battery at the 1400 round mark, I called Kahr and they told me to replace the recoil spring every 1000 rounds. Mine was an early version - the newer ones have some design changes, so I'm not sure that still holds. However, it is a cheap part and is probably a good idea - those small light guns give the recoil spring a pounding, because the slide has little mass to absorb the recoil.

Hope that helps.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

This helps. So if you were me what would you do? go to range and try the failed ammo but with a sure confident grip? or try a good carry ammo first with confident grip? remember, based on the past, it may only lock open that first round?

I would have an experienced buddy try the gun with the same ammo you did. If he has no issues, then you can probably say the issue is you, and you need to practice and/or get the Pearce grip extension.

If he does have the same issue, try different PRACTICE ammo. The gun should work with quality practice ammo just as well as it does with expensive JHPs. If the different ammo solves the problem, you just have a case of your gun not liking that ammo.

If that still does not solve the issue - send it back to Kahr.

Good luck!
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerguy View Post
    I never tried the Promag, so I cannot comment on it. I will say that you can usually get the stuck round to nose-up and feed properly with a smart smack upward on the bottom of the mag. Personally, I usually try to stick with factory mags, FWIW.
    CT Lasers

What do you mean gun not liking the ammo? why wouldn't it like all ammo? my XDM takes all type and asks for more.

I carry a PM9 and found it flawless out of the box. The PM9 takes a lot of heat for failing to feed but I think the shooter is the cause the overwhelming majority of time. I've found the PM9 needs to gripped and controlled firmly or it will hiccup and fail to feed. My style has been to use the slide stop to load on all handguns so that learning curve wasn't there for me.

As with any gun, I say the shooter is the cause the majority of the time because there could be an identifiable problem or part failure and you should be able to detect that with a field strip and a good look over.

A lot of shooters are experts at everything gun related, but be honest with yourself. If you're not experienced enough to armorer check a gun then find someone who can.

I also don't buy into any handgun not liking any quality manufactured ammunition. The characteristics of that round just bring out weaknesses in your platform.

I tell new shooters (of course, after I check the gun for no issues). It's not the gun it's you. Adapt and overcome.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links