Kahr pm9 PROBLEM

Kahr pm9 PROBLEM

This is a discussion on Kahr pm9 PROBLEM within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, second time this has happened. I lock the slide, insert magazine, chamber first round with slide lever, and the very first round out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr pm9 PROBLEM

Kahr pm9 PROBLEM

Hi guys, second time this has happened. I lock the slide, insert magazine, chamber first round with slide lever, and the very first round out of the gun fires but causes the slide to lock open for the second round. I looked down in it and saw the front tip of the second round pointing slightly down. Every other round after that very first one, no problem. I've now fired about 300 rounds through it. Tonight i ran some Hornady carry rounds and no problem. Just that very first round twice now, anyone know?

I heard they need a "break-in" period of 200 rds or so.

Call Kahr tomorrow and tell them what it is doing and ask for a recommendation. My understanding is that they have excellent customer service.

Please let us know what they say. I just bought a CW9 and have not had the chance to fire it yet. I'd be interested to know how they respond to you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I agree with TN_Mike, call Kahr.

I haven't had the issue with my PM9, but did have something similar happen on my CW9 with certain ammo. After you chamber the first round, pull the magazine back out. Mine was pushing the next round about 3/16" out of position, enough that the slide catch would hit before the round was picked up. A lot of carry ammo has a very light coating, which protects it from this issue. The fix for me was simple, rather than use the slide stop to chamber the round, I use the slide. Kahr recommends the use of the slide stop, but this worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerguy View Post
    Hi guys, second time this has happened. I lock the slide, insert magazine, chamber first round with slide lever, and the very first round out of the gun fires but causes the slide to lock open for the second round. I looked down in it and saw the front tip of the second round pointing slightly down. Every other round after that very first one, no problem. I've now fired about 300 rounds through it. Tonight i ran some Hornady carry rounds and no problem. Just that very first round twice now, anyone know?
    Do you know if it was the same magazine both times? Magazines are frequently the weak link in the system.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

A couple of threads about this issue on KAHRtalk.

They said to try a better ammo like carry rounds, and make sure i'm not limp wristing it.

I remember the Kahrtalk thread, but cannot find it now: I seem to remember that the top round in the mag was impinging on the interior of the slide stop, thus engaging it without feeding that round. Also seem to remember the solution was ammo related - HPs with a less blunt nose? Also perhaps a suggestion involving the mag lips? Anybody found the thread?

Are you topping off the mag?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

What is "topping off the mag?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerguy View Post
    What is "topping off the mag?"
    Insert full mag, chamber the first round, eject the mag, add one round to the mag to full it up, re-insert mag.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

my PM 9 has had 0 problems for about 2 years now. about 1000 rounds through it. i would recommend trying different ammo and see what it likes. definitely get past that initial break-in and see what the gun is doing after that before calling kahr. i might be purchasing a P45 soon and am looking forward to it. these guns feel great to me. you will find quite a few posts with people with similar problems but for the most part after sending a problem gun back to kahr they ship it back and the user has no problems. it's a shame they have to send them in the first place though, that's what really bugs me about kahrs. but the feeling of them just calls out to me.

also make sure you are using lube these things like being wet:
    post 7:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398500

I have a PM9 and initially had an issue with SD ammo hanging on the short feed ramp. The slide catches the top of the rim of the cartridge which initially causes it to nose down as it begins to strip out of the mag. This is why they say to use the slide (not mag) release to chamber. I fixed mine by polishing the feed ramp to a mirror like shine and rubbing TW25 into it hard, then wipe the excess off.

Some have reported their SD round hitting the slide lock raising it. Kahr readily replaces the slide lock if that is the issue. You check it by removing the recoil spring, replace the slide, insert a full mag then work the slide slowly and watch the round move forward as it passes the mag release. It should come a bit close but not touch it. Note: when you do this slowly you will see the nose dive, but don't let that bother you. In action, that puppy gets the job done just fine. Look at a round that had been chambered and it won't be damaged so you know it's all good.

This is a design trade off to keep the gun short. The offset feed ramp keeps it narrow. Great gun once you get it smoothed out. The second 500 rounds is better than the first and the next ones better than those before.
    Last edited by OldLincoln; April 1st, 2011 at 04:18 PM.

This sounds interesting, but all went over my head. The mag release to chamber a round??? is that right? how do you load one and watch it chamber? can you re-word this for someone who has never done it? thanks

Sorry for the bone head "mag release" thing. Of course it's the slide release to chamber a round. As for the rest, it's an excellent way to see how the action works and understand the mechanics such as why/how does the barrel point upward when the slide goes back; how does a cartridge get from the mag into the chamber.

You have to be careful to continue with this and if not comfortable don't do it.

How to set it up is first unload the gun and remove the slide, then the recoil spring - but not the barrel. Reinstall the slide (you may have to move the barrel at the muzzle a bit to align the slide lock pin). From here - still without a mag or chambered round - you can move the slide back without the pressure of the recoil spring. When pushing the slide closed you will feel the striker spring resistance.

The risk comes into play when you insert a loaded mag - DO NOT CLOSE THE SLIDE AS THE GUN CAN BE FIRED JUST AS WITH THE RECOIL SPRING INSTALLED. You have to hold it closed against the moderate pressure of the striker spring to do it but it can be done.

NOW, keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction, with the slide back insert a loaded mag into the mag well slowly at it nears the top. With a good light you can see where the top round passes the slide lock lug. It will be close but shouldn't hit it.

To see a round chamber you need to remain cautious and move the slide forward as it touched the rim of the cartridge and moves forward you will see the nose move down into the ramp. I will most likely hang because it is going slow. Here you can put your right thumb into the opening and lightly on top of the bullet and lightly tap the back of the slide with the other to jar the nose upward. You will feel the nose begin to move on the ramp. By having your thumb on the bullet you also allow the rim to slide under the extractor as it moves forward. Continuing slowly you will see it move into position aligned with the tilted barrel. If you repeat this chambering through the mag, you will notice the ramp catching becomes less as the mag holds less.

OK, this is my process which I repeated as I wrote this to make sure I didn't mess up the post. Again as long as the slide is not closed and trigger pulled you should be okay, but don't do it if you are not comfortable with it and if course it is at your own risk.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links