Springfield EMP 9mm

Springfield EMP 9mm

This is a discussion on Springfield EMP 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was at my LGS looking to order a Springfield Loaded Champion, and learned that Springfield is behind on their production of 1911's. They ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Springfield EMP 9mm

Springfield EMP 9mm

So I was at my LGS looking to order a Springfield Loaded Champion, and learned that Springfield is behind on their production of 1911's. They estimated 6-12 months before they would get any new ones in.

While I was there the Springfield EMP in 9mm caught my eye. I asked to see it and I am not reconsidering buying the EMP. The price was listed at $1299. Another shop in my area was selling it for $1289. Those prices seemed very high to me. Can How much have EMPs been selling for in your area? I hear that the compact 1911's can sting when shooting a .45 round. Is there a big difference with a 9mm? Thanks in advance for any insight.

The Springfield EMP 9 is 27 ounces. Same as the Springfield XD9sc. So theoretically it should shoot about the same as far as recoil goes. Non-issue.
    Obviously you're wanting something in the 1911 format, but since the Springfield Loaded Champion was not available you're looking into other options.

Why not go for the compact RIA .45? I hear they have a pretty good following.

If it's the sting you're worried about. I would suggest you try and find a way to try one out before you spend the money on something. Especially if it's $1000+. Find a friend or friend of a friend that you can go to the range with that has one you'd like to try.
    Eagleks likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I haven't shot the 40cal emp...but the 9mm has very little recoil.
    They're a joy to shoot. My emp is my favorite pistol...hands down.
    Those prices you quoted seem high to me. Go to gunbroker and see what they're going for.
    I think you could get one quite a bit cheaper.
    And check out the Springfield 1911s as well. You might find what you're looking for.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I love my 9mm EMP. I purchased it a year ago for a little over $800.00.

This is not local, but I was at this site today buying some of there great priced ammo and saw this.

Dunn's sporting goods
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

EMP ---- $1000 - $1300 typically. Used - $900 - $1100. They shoot great.

Rock Island, good choice ..... cost a lot less...
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Ditto on Rock Island

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    EMP ---- $1000 - $1300 typically. Used - $900 - $1100. They shoot great.

Rock Island, good choice ..... cost a lot less...
    RIA's may be a good solution. Check BellShire in Nashville - they'll ship. Good luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not...." - Thomas Jefferson

I've got both the loaded champion in 45 and the EMP in 9mm. Both are great guns. Amazingly the EMP Shoots as accurate as the 45. It is really smooth and great fun. I carry the EMP often.

The real challenge these days is do you want to invest this kind of money in a firearm. Personal choice. Rock Island is a good choice. Go shoot them all if you can rent or find a guy at the range. Then decide the financial piece. Both of my springfields were north of 1K.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    The 9mm EMP is a great gun. My girlfriend has one - I'm thinking she paid a little over $1,100 for it new. I haven't shot the .45 version but did look at one at the counter. The .45 version has a lot stronger spring and it is a lot harder to rack than the 9mm version. The .45 version, to me, feels like it is a lot heavier in weight than the 9mm version as well.

I have shot this gun with Cocobola handles (my g/f's gun) as well as the one with the G10 handles (a friend's gun) and believe it or not, the one with G10 handles feel like it has less recoil. It's a nice shooting gun in either flavor but I prefer the feel of the G10 handles.

I'm still a novice in my shooting. I have a Glock G23 & I am a lot more accurate with the EMP than I am with my own gun.

The EMP is a very nice carrying size and I can't imagine anyone getting this gun and feeling regret or disappointment.

DCG

VIP Member
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

jyo
    Was fortunate enough to be offered to shoot a fellows' EMP 9mm at the range---since I had a bunch of 9mm factory ammo with me, he let me shoot it about as much as I felt like---what a neat little pistol---slim, kinda lightweight (my CW9 was a great deal lighter), really good trigger and completely reliable---I probably will add one to the family when the right deal comes by...

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    The 9mm EMP is a great gun. My girlfriend has one - I'm thinking she paid a little over $1,100 for it new. I haven't shot the .45 version but did look at one at the counter. The .45 version has a lot stronger spring and it is a lot harder to rack than the 9mm version. The .45 version, to me, feels like it is a lot heavier in weight than the 9mm version as well.

I have shot this gun with Cocobola handles (my g/f's gun) as well as the one with the G10 handles (a friend's gun) and believe it or not, the one with G10 handles feel like it has less recoil. It's a nice shooting gun in either flavor but I prefer the feel of the G10 handles.

I'm still a novice in my shooting. I have a Glock G23 & I am a lot more accurate with the EMP than I am with my own gun.

The EMP is a very nice carrying size and I can't imagine anyone getting this gun and feeling regret or disappointment.

DCG
    If the version you referenced above was an EMP, it was a .40 S&W not a .45 ACP......they only make the EMP in 9mm and .40 at this point.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I got an email from CDNN Sports; they are having a sale on the EMP 9. I believe it was around $1055.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moad View Post
    If the version you referenced above was an EMP, it was a .40 S&W not a .45 ACP......they only make the EMP in 9mm and .40 at this point.
    My mistake. Thanks for the correction. :-)
    DCG

My EMP9 is a great shooter. More accurate than I am and very easy to shoot with my carpal tunnel. Great carry weapon also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links