Range Report: HK P30S V3

This is a discussion on Range Report: HK P30S V3 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had my first range trip with the P30 today. I shot 30 rounds of GDHP 124gr+P, 38 rounds of PDX1 147gr, and 200 rounds of ...

Thread: Range Report: HK P30S V3

Range Report: HK P30S V3

Had my first range trip with the P30 today. I shot 30 rounds of GDHP 124gr+P, 38 rounds of PDX1 147gr, and 200 rounds of GECO 124gr. There were no malfunctions or issues of any kind.

Some of my general impressions about the gun:
    • The trench in the trigger guard ranges from annoying to unnoticed dependent on trigger finger placement. I might reduce it so it's less bothersome if I can think of a good method.
    • I short stroked the trigger several times early on. I think more range time will make this a non-issue, but if it doesn't I'll install the stronger trigger return spring.
    • The gun has more muzzle flip than a fullsize glock or M&P, but less than a sig. A slightly more forward leaning stance solved it.
    • I wish the entire grip was textured, as it would help lock in my support hand.
    • The sights are set up so the front blade covers the POI.
    • The paddle style mag release is great. It's simple to use and very fast.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with the gun, and the only change I really want to get done is the sights. I'm used to the very tip of the front sight being my poi, and I'm not a fan of the short, fat front sight. The gun will get Heinies when I have the money.

My best group of the day, 10 rds at 7 yds:

About the same as I would shoot with my g17. I think I can improve with a little more time to learn the gun.

A picture of the gun:
    I collect ammo, not guns.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Very nice, one question though, why the V3 instead of a LEM?

I wasn't sure I would like the LEM trigger, and I wanted the shorter slide release used on the models with a manual safety. I've always had a problem with holding the slide release down, causing the slide to close on an empty chamber. With my right thumb riding the safety and the shorter release lever, I didn't have any issues. This wasn't the case in my short time with a rented P30 V3, which has the same control setup as the LEM models.

I've never understood the different variants from H&K. Is your particular variant a Single Action with a manual safety that can be carried cocked and locked?
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

P30 variants:

V1: light LEM (DAO with ~5lb pull)
    V2: heavy LEM (DAO with ~7lb pull)
    V3: DA/SA decocker
    S V3: DA/SA decocker and manual safety. Can be carried DA with safety off, DA with safety on, or SA with safety on (my choice)
    V4: medium LEM (DAO with ~6lb pull)

Very nice! I might have to check one of those out in the near future.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    I wasn't sure I would like the LEM trigger, and I wanted the shorter slide release used on the models with a manual safety. I've always had a problem with holding the slide release down, causing the slide to close on an empty chamber. With my right thumb riding the safety and the shorter release lever, I didn't have any issues. This wasn't the case in my short time with a rented P30 V3, which has the same control setup as the LEM models.
    Good answers, thanks for the insight.

Very nice, detailed report on a fine handgun Texag!

I have a 9mm P30 L V3 and absolutely love it.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Links