Charter Bulldog .44 Spl.

This is a discussion on Charter Bulldog .44 Spl. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few weeks ago I was at the LGS, I was actually looking for a lightweight commander 1911. They didn't have any in stock and ...

Thread: Charter Bulldog .44 Spl.

Charter Bulldog .44 Spl.

A few weeks ago I was at the LGS, I was actually looking for a lightweight commander 1911. They didn't have any in stock and I like to see what I'm buying up front so I wasn't really in the frame of mind to order one. I sure wasn't in the market for a .44 Special snubnose, however.....after handling it and looking at the size of that bore and the size of the hollowpoints to match it I purchased a stainless Charter Bulldog. Having never owned a Charter and knowing the folks that have bought them have seen very inconsistant quality over the years I wasn't sure about it. Talked to the store owner he assured me that they had come a long way from 5-10 years ago, wasn't even the same company (turns out that is true). The one I brought home I wound up taking back the next day. While I was cleaning it and going over it in general I noticed you could open the cylinder with the hammer cocked. Quickly consulting my owners manual that came with the gun, ah ha! just as I suspected you should not be able to do this. I quit cleaning it, put everything back in the box and returned it, owner gave me another gun no questions asked. Well after I assured him I hadn't fired it. Got the new one home cleaned it, lubricated it got it ready to fire. (all was well)

Ammo choices in my area are rather limited for .44 Spl. I got some Blazer 200 grain hollow point and some Blazer 200 grain GDHP, both do well and hit point of aim at 10 yards, I don't see me using this much beyond that. I also picked up some Remington LRN and it doesn't seem to like them so much, accuracy suffers. After running 250 rounds through it I'm pretty satisfied. I'd never fired a snub of this caliber and while not bad on recoil you definitley know you stroked the trigger. At $28-$35 a box for ammo I don't think this will ever be a plinker but I am curious do any of you have one? and what ammo have you found to work well for defensive purposes? The GDHP Blazer seems to get pretty good marks from several online sources, but I want to hear what you guys think.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

2. Remove Ads

Cool

Photos !!!!!!!! I have never seen a stainless Charter Arms .44 spl Bulldog. Seen lots of the old blued versions through.the years. Good luck on your new snubbie.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

That very gun is my truck gun a lot of the time. It has been very reliable and isn't all that bad to pull the trigger on. Congrats on your purchase! Pics!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I have a S&W 29, and several boxes of Winchester Silvertip 200 Gr JHP for it. My gun certainly likes them....

KoB
    My CA .44spl is one of my favorite pistols!

I'm currently using Hornady CD in .44spl, and Speer GD's in 44spl. Had it Magna-ported, thus making the recoil pretty much nil to me!

I
    Attached Images

I use 200 grain Winchester Silvertips. But mostly, I reload and use a 250 grain hardcast flat nose bullet at 800-900 fps.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the Bulldog... I looked at one the other day and was impressed...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I've shot several of those Bulldogs over the years and have been uniformly impressed with them. All were blued models save for one which was stainless steel. A brother-in-law has a couple of .44 Bulldogs and they both shoot well and give good service. One frequently sees concealed carry duty for him.

.44 Special is one of my very favorite cartridges. I mostly shoot handloads using Unique powder that give 817 fps from my 5-inch barreled revolver.

The .44 Special may be jazzed up a bit in a good revolver but I wouldn't want to have to shoot such loads in a Bulldog. Don't know that the Charter Arms revolver wouldn't handle it but recoil is bound to be really stiff.

Here's a dab of data from the only two factory loads I've used in my .44 Special which is a Smith & Wesson N-Frame revolver.

Winchester 246 grain lead round nose: Muzzle Velocity 681 fps, Muzzle Energy 253 ft./lbs
    Federal 200 grain lead SWC hollow point: MV 851 fps, ME 321 ft./lbs.

Both loads are accurate and the Federal load seems like a good self defense choice.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Love the bulldog! great piece!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Worked for the son of sam killer!

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Photos !!!!!!!! I have never seen a stainless Charter Arms .44 spl Bulldog. Seen lots of the old blued versions through.the years. Good luck on your new snubbie.
    I'm far behind on my photos, I still haven't posted the SA Loaded I got back in December, I'll try to get the Bulldog and the 1911 up in the next day or so.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

I owned a Bulldog but sold it in a moment of weakness. I liked it well enough that I'm sure I'll own another someday.

You've received a couple of recommendations for the Winchester Silvertip round, and I agree - my gun seemed to favor those, and my local gun shop stocked them, too.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I have a smith and wesson 629, I love how accurate the .44 cartridges are and how well they group up. Mine is a range gun because I have yet to run specials through it and see how they stoke up against the magum. If they are as accurate and have less recoil I will be going with them because as it is with magnum rounds single action is no problem but double action and i do not get along. The price of ammo is worth it for the smile on your face when you bring a target back from 25 yards with 40 rounds in the head out of 45 fired at it and the other 5 right on the edge of the scoring zone. Would like to get a charter bulldog as a dedicated .44 special gun. I also learned that the stainless guns are a heck of a lot easier to clean and maintain because you can see where the powder and scorching is at. However if your anything like me you will also obsess over marks on the finsh and strive to maintain that flawless shine
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I have a Bulldog Pug, and I love it. I carry the 200Gr blazer load in it, and I will buy another one soon because I like to carry guns in pairs. Mine is easier to shoot than my Charter Arms .38
    Attached Images
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

Links