Revolver S&W Model 627 Questions?

This is a discussion on Revolver S&W Model 627 Questions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The S&W Model 627 8 Shot Pro Series Revolver link I held one at the local GS and WOW, I don't know that I need ...

Thread: Revolver S&W Model 627 Questions?

Revolver S&W Model 627 Questions?

The S&W Model 627 8 Shot Pro Series Revolver link

I held one at the local GS and WOW, I don't know that I need a 8 shot, when the Model 686 comes in 6 shot and 7 shot models. I would woods carry this gun and range use, maybe even hunt whitetail deer.

This is a Pro Series and the trigger is as smooth as I have ever felt.

Does anyone have any experience with the Model 627?

2. Remove Ads

Nobody owns a 727?

I am looking at both the 627 and 686 in 2.5"

Anybody with any feedback on these?

I have the 627. You can shoot real 357 mag loads in that gun and not worry about recoil or cracking the forcing cone.

The two downsides I have with it are , weight for caliber, and the loud ear piercing " crack" of the hot 357 loads.

My is collecting dust until I decide to trade it. For the weight and size, the 44 is a better option for my uses.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Yeah, but you see, this one,this one is one louder, it goes to 11!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I have the 327 and really like it. Lots of rounds.

Maybe I don't know what the hell we're talkin about here.

I have seen mention the 627, 327, and, the 727(which by the way is a great but dated aircraft). And I sure don't know of any 357 mag revolver that fires 11 rounds. Maybe, just maybe, I have finally drank too much of this homemade Hibiscus wine.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepnheat View Post
    I am looking at both the 627 and 686 in 2.5"

Anybody with any feedback on these?
    I have the 686 in 2.5, 3 and 4. The 686 in 2.5 balances perfectly for me. I'm a big fan of the L frames. You can shoot endless .357's in these without worry, unlike the K frames which may be a bit sensitive.

I have a Model 29, which is an N Frame in .44. The 627 is basically an N frame .357. If you look at the size of the cylinder you'll see why you can accommodate 8 .357 rounds in it. I believe it's based off the old model 27, which is a .357 dreadnaught.

The .357 in the N frame is intriguing, but I'm so happy with my 686's I've just never been able to mentally justifying buying one. And I'm not sure when I would really "need" that 8th shot.

I have an early (no dash) 686 in 4" and a new one in the 2.5" (7 shot). I've gotten back into revolvers this year, even bought two steel J frames and a 442. Just ordered a 627 in 2.625" and feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

I am a little apprehensive as this will be my first N frame and I can't remember ever handling one; are they significantly larger than the Ls? And just how beneficial are the moonclips?

Thanks.

I'm actually leaning towards the 686 2.5" just seems best gun for the buck
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

Michsteve you show that allready own a ruger gp100 why would you need a 627 of any kind. You all ready have a great pistol . If you need a lighter trigger add a wolf spring kit, that will make BIG improments to the trigger pull. I love revolvers and have a few DW revolvers that are my pride and joy but today for a woods/trail handgun it would be a lighter higher cap glock 20 with some DT loads in a pancake holster.

Links