Traded my Glock for a Kahr

This is a discussion on Traded my Glock for a Kahr within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Congrats on a great gun! I have had my CW9 for about a year and have at least 800 rounds thru it without a problem, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traded my Glock for a Kahr

Congrats on a great gun! I have had my CW9 for about a year and have at least 800 rounds thru it without a problem, even during the break in period. Just be sure to give her a good clean and lube before you hit the range. I find myself carrying mine more than my Glock 36 during the hot summer months.

2. Remove Ads

Several have commented that you will be back to the Glock. My guess is that you may well have another Glock for a range toy or home defense but I will bet that you never carry a Glock again. A P9 is my all-time favorite carry pistol. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!
    Last edited by kudzu; April 2nd, 2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added accidentally omitted word
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

i just got a P45 the big brother....waiting to pick it up. anyone got a video on polishing the feed ramp with dremel tool?

I think you will really love the Kahr as it is light and easy to carry plus a good shooter. Be patient with it through the break in period although I have put 1000 plus rounds through my P9 and never have experienced a glitch. I put the night sights on mine and the target seems to come into view a lot quicker for me even in daylight. Enjoy!!

Kahr makes awesome little compact cannons. I had a Kahr P40 trust me on this you have to use the expensive "Kahr" brand magazines if you want reliability. The pistol was noticably thinner than my Glock Block 27 and not too short to hold on to and I regret selling it but I regret selling any of them. Since when we qualify with our off duty guns the course we shoot is a minimum fifty round course and some of them are timed so it helps to have enough magazines that you don't have to worry about reloading magazines. So since the Kahr mags were like forty bucks I ordered about six Promag magazines for my P40 and when i wen't to qualify it was like shooting a sling shot or a derringer because it would jam every third round or so and i spent the day doing combat reloads instead of concentrating on my target. I still think the ultimate sub gun is a PM model both for size and weight. And yes the Kahr's for me shoot awesome compared to the Glocks I just liked the trigger better.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I figured out a long time ago that, that for regular carry, my life style and clothing are not well suited to a big hand cannon. I have a full sized HK and an M&P compact, but neither is as comfortable and flexible for me to carry as is the Kahr. I don't shoot snubs very well, so the Kahr was a natural choice for me. I shoot the PM9 as about well as I do a full sized 9MM out to 15 yards. I carry mostly IWB, so the thinness, small size and light weight mean that I rarely have an excuse to leave it at home if I am going somewhere I can carry. To compensate for the limited number of rounds in the Kahr, I always carry an extra magazine.

Life is full of compromises. I would carry an AC 130 and a company of Marines if I didn't want to compromise my safety at all, but they are way too heavy, so I go on my merry way (short of Armageddon) with my PM9, an extra mag and as much situational awareness as the environment calls for.

I have both the G26 and PM9. Sorry to hear that you had to trade the G26. I pocket carry the PM9, outfitted with factory night sights and crimson trace, in a Nemesis. I also (believe it or not) pocket carry the G26 in a Nemesis, whenever I can. Yes, sometimes the glock weighs on me, but when I ask myself which one would I want on me if the shtf, the G26 always wins. Love 'em both.
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

Thanks for the additional comments!

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Several have commented that you will be back to the Glock. My guess is that you may well have another Glock for a range toy or home defense but I will bet that you never carry a Glock again. A P9 is my all-time favorite carry pistol. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!
    I think this statement is exactly the truth. I loved my Glock for how well it worked and how well I shot it but it never felt right for me, either for carrying or even just holding it. I could never argue with the results I got from it though.

Speaking of results, I'm back from the range!

I don't have any conventional targets to show you guys, but I do have this...

My old laptop died on me so I went all office space on it...with an AK-47 and my new Kahr, among others.

Didn't have a single jam with the Kahr during the entire trip. Accuracy was about what I'd expect out of myself with a new gun. It hit in the general area I was pointing it at, but I definitely need to work on it more. Unlike the 637 though, I actually WANT to work on it more. Recoil, though a bit stout because of it's light weight, is manageable. And the trigger pull, although long...is so smooth it's just a joy. Really pleasant to shoot, and feels like a natural extension of my hand. I'm really happy with my Kahr! Happy enough that I will be making it my anytime go-to carry companion when the time comes!

Here's the video of the laptop being destroyed, if you're interested in seeing it:

YouTube - Destroying a Toshiba Laptop with an AK-47
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

haha.......good vid but it looks like you missed a few times.?????????????????

Yeah I did, lol...the gun slipped off my shoulder about halfway through but I had to finish what I started !
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Congratulations on the Kahr. I bought a CW40 last year that didn't make the cut. After 500 rounds and two trips back to the factory it was still unreliable. There were many good qualities about it and, after deliberating for a few months, I recently bought a K40 that I'm quite happy with (0 malfunctions so far). The CW series is super thin and light, very easy to carry. Best of luck with yours.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24215[/ATTACH

not too long ago i headed out to my local gun shop intent on buying either a Glock 19/26 for concealed carry..i quickly realized their's just so many other handguns available now that are lighter,thinner,and more compact then Glocks,especially in 9mm..after about an hour,i ended up walking out with a kahr cw9,not because i thought it was a "better" gun then Glock but it was so much easier to conceal..i still may pickup a G19 one day for home defense,range shooting or winter carry but for now got the kahr..congrats on the new cw9
    Attached Images

Lookin' to get a PM9 myself, or maybe a CM9.

Since the purchase fo my CW9 and K40, the G23 and G36 don't see the light of day very often. The 23 does ride with me to the woods occasionally and the 36 goes on an occasional Harley ride. Glock has nothing that carries as easy as a Kahr, especially the polymer ones, IMHO.

I've had my eye on a single-stack 9 for a while now. the CW9 seemed to be the best match for my requirements of:
    light weight, simplicity, mature design, budget

I made my purchase on Friday, did the strip/clean/re-lube that evening, and was able to get to the range over the weekend to start the break-in.

I have a buddy who was interested in a CW9, but he couldn't make it to accompany me. ...so I taped the range session:

other than a few shots that I shanked, I'm pretty pleased with the results.

impressions:
    -skinny grip, but recoil is not bad. no pain after 200+rds put downrange in less than an hour
    -trigger reset is long.. long, like revolver DA long.
    -sights are easy to find
    -mag swaps in a hurry are no problem. I was a bit concerned that I'd have to do an odd strong-hand grip while inserting the mag to avoid pinching my hand on the mag's floor-plate.

I didn't run any hollowpoint ammo, so until I prove it out with those, it's going to sit in the safe. too bad. I need to do some research to see if there's a particular flavor of HP that is preferred, or should be avoided in Kahrs 9'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links