Traded my Glock for a Kahr

This is a discussion on Traded my Glock for a Kahr within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I've been in need of a summer carry gun for a while now. At first, I used my S&W 637 revolver because it was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traded my Glock for a Kahr

Well, I've been in need of a summer carry gun for a while now. At first, I used my S&W 637 revolver because it was lightweight and small, only to discover that I really couldn't shoot it worth a crap and didn't want to learn how because it wasn't pleasant to shoot for an extended amount of time. Then, I bought a Glock 26 and added Pearce +0 mag extensions for an easier grip. I shot the gun great, and really loved it though in the year or so I had it I just couldn't get used to the grip angle. I didn't let that particular feature worry me though as I still could trust myself to shoot it just fine. But it was just too wide...I always felt like I had a huge block digging into my side anytime I was sitting with it on. It was just too awkward and uncomfortable.

Fortunately for me the winter months give me the option of carrying my absolute pride and joy in the firearm department, my Colt Commander 1911...but it's starting to warm up around here and the dilemma of carrying something I can't shoot well or something that feels like a brick came up again.

I was at my local gun shop asking about an FFL transfer for a WWII era P38 (hoping to pick that up soon :D ) when I caught sight of something that was just perfect. I had previously considered options like the Sig P238 and Colt Mustang .380 for their small size and 1911-style method of operation, but I ended up really liking the looks and feel of this guy, a Kahr CW9. Then I recalled all the discussions (positive) about Kahr firearms on this forum and ended up doing the trade. I picked up two extra magazines and a holster while I was there too. I love pics, and I'm pretty sure everyone else does too, so here's some:

And the ultimate and final test...is it at least as thin as my 1911?

Not only that...it's half as thick!

This is my first Kahr by the way. My immediate impression was exactly what I expected it to be...it felt like a more refined, thinner Glock. Very tight tolerances and no rattles. Trigger pull is long but it's smoooooooooth. I haven't gotten the chance to fire it yet, but I will be doing so tomorrow and will report my results here.

Anyone else have one of these? I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences with it.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

2. Remove Ads

Wow I didn't realize they were that much thinner than a 1911 that's a good comparison shot. Let us know how she shoots for ya.

sweet looking pistol you got there. Hope it shoots well, and hope you carry it often but never need it. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Nice pistol. traded a glock??? you'll be back lol.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    Great pistol, I have the companion to it, the CW40. Don’t be surprised with an occasional malfunction during the initial 200 round break-in, I think I had four or five but after that it has performed flawlessly.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Nice and i'm sure you will like it, I have PM 9 which is a little smaller and like it a lot, mine ran through the 200 round break in with no malfunctions and I carry it pretty much everyday that I am not carrying my G26.

Well.......er......To each his own.

Happy you found something you like that will work for you. A good holster and belt will help with the huge block feeling. I EDC a SA XD40 SC which is a little on the thick side, but with the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro holster, I forget that it's there. At least I forget it until it is not there, then I feel like something is definitely wrong.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Congrats on the CW9. I have both the Glock 26 and the CW9, and also the Kahr PM9. I like the Kahr line of pistols for their thin design and the trigger.

I did have one problem with my CW9 a while back. Frame cracked down around the trigger pivot pin. The crack was so fine, I couldn't even tell it had happened, and how it happened I don't know. The gun was never dropped, never had any over charged rounds through it. It had digested about 500 rounds maximum of mostly 115gr FMJ and a hand full of 124 gr Gold Dot +P. The only way I knew something was wrong was the pivot pin after just one magazine would start backing out the right side of the gun. I called Kahr. They fixed it, no problem. Rebuilt the gun on a brand new frame using all the old internal parts from my old one. I ended up with a new serial number, but a new frame. They also told me that they had never seen that problem before, so it's not a common issue. Customer service was excellent and quick.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Well, I've been in need of a summer carry gun for a while now. At first, I used my S&W 637 revolver because it was lightweight and small, only to discover that I really couldn't shoot it worth a crap and didn't want to learn how because it wasn't pleasant to shoot for an extended amount of time. Then, I bought a Glock 26 and added Pearce +0 mag extensions for an easier grip. I shot the gun great, and really loved it though in the year or so I had it I just couldn't get used to the grip angle. I didn't let that particular feature worry me though as I still could trust myself to shoot it just fine. But it was just too wide...I always felt like I had a huge block digging into my side anytime I was sitting with it on. It was just too awkward and uncomfortable.

Fortunately for me the winter months give me the option of carrying my absolute pride and joy in the firearm department, my Colt Commander 1911...but it's starting to warm up around here and the dilemma of carrying something I can't shoot well or something that feels like a brick came up again.

I was at my local gun shop asking about an FFL transfer for a WWII era P38 (hoping to pick that up soon :D ) when I caught sight of something that was just perfect. I had previously considered options like the Sig P238 and Colt Mustang .380 for their small size and 1911-style method of operation, but I ended up really liking the looks and feel of this guy, a Kahr CW9. Then I recalled all the discussions (positive) about Kahr firearms on this forum and ended up doing the trade. I picked up two extra magazines and a holster while I was there too. I love pics, and I'm pretty sure everyone else does too, so here's some:

And the ultimate and final test...is it at least as thin as my 1911?

Not only that...it's half as thick!

This is my first Kahr by the way. My immediate impression was exactly what I expected it to be...it felt like a more refined, thinner Glock. Very tight tolerances and no rattles. Trigger pull is long but it's smoooooooooth. I haven't gotten the chance to fire it yet, but I will be doing so tomorrow and will report my results here.

Anyone else have one of these? I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences with it.
    I just bought my first Kahr last week, and it's a CW9 as well! I love mine! I also have not gotten to fire mine yet but hope to very soon. But I completely agree with your assessment of it. Feels great in the hand, its fit and finish is superior.

I'm very interested in hearing your range report on yours!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thanks for the comments! As for the Glock vs Kahr and I'll be coming back to a Glock comments, there's definitely no Glock hate here. I wouldn't mind another. I don't think I'd expect it to be a summer carry gun though, at least not for me. If it were up to me I'd have kept the Glock and bought the Kahr but Mrs. 380ACP wouldn't let me. :(

I did get to carry the Kahr around for about an hour today, just driving around and running errands. It was extremely comfortable. I won't say I forgot it was there but it didn't make itself obvious at all.

As for range reports, I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the first post but I will be taking it to the range tomorrow, so I will definitely share my impressions then!
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Be sure to give it a good cleaning before you shoot it. They tend to be a sticky out of the box like over lubed. Here's a really good instructional for the initial preparation.

Enjoy the Kahr, you'll be back to Glock in no time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have the PM9, the K9, and a Glock 19. All of them are pull and shoot, and I switch them out as appropriate. I think they go together wonderfully. My next step is to ditch my SW 1911 for a PM45, I'm getting all my pistols into a DA mode (revolvers + Kahr/Glock)
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

aag
    Quote Originally Posted by marmilia View Post
    Nice and i'm sure you will like it, I have PM 9 which is a little smaller and like it a lot, mine ran through the 200 round break in with no malfunctions and I carry it pretty much everyday that I am not carrying my G26.
    Same here :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links