Taming the .40 S&W beast?

This is a discussion on Taming the .40 S&W beast? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MSteve The easiest thing is just to go shoot it allot. Focus on smooth trigger squeeze. After awhile, you'll lose the flinch. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Taming the .40 S&W beast?

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    The easiest thing is just to go shoot it allot. Focus on smooth trigger squeeze. After awhile, you'll lose the flinch.
    BINGO. No substitute for practice. I thought the 40 had a lot of recoil at first, now I don't even notice any real difference in recoil between the 9 and 40. A heavier platform will absorb some of the recoil, but the 40 round produces a lot of muzzle flip as compared to the 9 regardless of platform. After a couple hundred rounds, you won't even notice it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

A grip sleeve helps some, I have one on my G-23. A golf glove with the trigger finger cut off can also be benificial in getting use to the "snappy" recoil of the .40 S&W.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I recently toyed with switching from my .40 S&W to a 9mm for the reason you describe, less recoil and faster follow up shots. I ultimately kept the .40 for a couple reasons. 1. Already have a bunch of nice holsters for it. 2. With practice, speed comes. 3. .40 is still my preferred caliber (just a personal thing, it is what I feel best shooting).

The bottom line is, what you are comfortable shooting is what you should carry and shoot, period. If it is 9mm, stick with it.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its a mental game. Stop thinking of at as a "beast" and think of it as the Short and Weak.
    It is short and weak!!! long live the 10MM!!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    Deafguy3 sounds llike maybe you've had experience from shooting a .40 inside a closed cat.
    First of all, my name is "deafdave3", not "Deafguy3".

Second, I never shot from inside a cat, open or closed.

And last, but not least, I have shot my .40 caliber from inside a closed car. Well.... wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. I shoot in a secluded area along the levee of the Atchafalaya Basin, but I still worry that someone would call the police. So, I thought, "what if I shoot from inside my car, which should muffle the shot and I can collect the brass for a friend? Being deaf, that shouldn't be too bad."

Wrong.

First of all, I'm not as deaf as I thought. I heard every single brain-rattling shot. And loud. Secondly, shooting from inside the car compacted the shock waves from the blast, then concentrated all to my head, which was already fighting from an illness that's not expected to clear up for another month. Probably the stupidest thing I've done this year, but the year ain't over yet.

At least I collected all the brass for the friend.
    Old School and GoBigOrange like this.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I hate to say it, but I say stay with 9mm. I really don't think you gain anything with the .40 short and weak. I feel that 9mm +p will do anyhting .40 will do and be eaiser to shoot. Also 9mm is cheaper.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    would a closed cat count as a suppressor?
    ShadeAngel likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Never, ever shoot a .40 from inside a closed car. Trust me.

lol.. been there done that..

also, 40's are "snappy" with the recoil...

Many apologies for my mistake, Deafdave3

Its all about practice.I expected the recoil to be worse than what it was when i first fired my 40cal.I focused on my grip and accuracy,now the recoil is a non-factor and i actually like it.Good luck
    Smith & Wesson SW99 .40cal Two-Tone

VIP Member
    You could always go shoot a box of .44 Mag from a snubbie. Once your done doing that, the .40 will seem like a .22 in comparison!

Seriously though, practice with the gun will eventually resolve the issue.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I prefer .40 and do not find the recoil a big deal except in a Kahr P40. But if you shoot a Glock go to their website and order one of the new double recoil springs. I have one, it is stock, in my H&K P2000sk and the .40 is no big deal in that sub compact. Glock can thank H&K for another idea they can copy.

I gave up on the round I eliminated the .40 from my lineup. if I need more than a 9mm I will go .45 ACP the recoil is better(not as snappy). Bu for now I went back to 9mm. I also had a Glock 23 and while it was reliable the combo of the guns horrid grips and a round I didnt care for made it get traded in on a Ruger SR9c.

when i first started shooting my 23 i thought it was pretty snappy, but after shooting it for a while now i don't even think of it. i shoot about 50 to 100 rounds every 4-6 weeks. i found shooting less more often works best.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Practice will be the best way to tame the .40 S&W. However I prefer 9mm and I feel the Glock line of handguns shines in 9mm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links