Taming the .40 S&W beast?

This is a discussion on Taming the .40 S&W beast? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I shoot a Glock 22 and the recoil is not bad at all, in fact I thought my Glock 19 had more recoil. To put ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Taming the .40 S&W beast?

I shoot a Glock 22 and the recoil is not bad at all, in fact I thought my Glock 19 had more recoil. To put short sweet and simple-its all about how you grip your weapon! Improper grip cause the weapon to give more recoil then it should.
    I trained everyday and will be ready for the day that I have to defend myself or my family!

2. Remove Ads

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...... Will tame any handgun caliber except maybe SWs 500 Mag.........
    surefire7 likes this.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Today, my now 15 year old daughter wanted me to take her shooting. So I loaded up a variety of handguns. That little bugger shot my last 2 boxes of Double Tap 180 hollowpoints in my g22, a box of full house 41 magnums and a 2 boxes of WWB 9mm ammo in my g26. The more "juice" it's got, the more fun it is for her to shoot. I think I have created a monster!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

surprised no one mentioned using snap caps in the magizine mixed with live rounds to see if you are pulling to one side or anticipating your shot to early. and pratice your triger reset it helps me very much, pratice, pratice, pratice.

Having never shot a .45 why is that the recoil isn't that bad? One would assume otherwise.
    "An armed man is a citizen. A disarmed man is a subject."
    Anon.

Oops, mean't to say, "why is it that"
    Anon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZippr View Post
    Having never shot a .45 why is that the recoil isn't that bad? One would assume otherwise.
    The recoil of the .40 snaps the wrist upwards, making it hard for some to handle. The .45 pushes back against the hand.

While I love the .40, due to a wrist injury I switched to .45. Much more comfortable for me to shoot. With the .40 before I've shot a box my wrist is feeling it. With my .45 I can shoot 2 or more boxes without any discomfort.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the reply Archer. I'll have to try out a .45 to see what I think.
    Anon.

I gave up on S&W .40 I eliminated the round from my lineup(had a Glock 23) I dont like the snappiness of its recoil..I will stick with .45 ACP and 9mm from here on out. The .45 ACP except holding a extra round or 2 does everything and more that the .40 does and the recoil is more of a rolling push back rather than a wrist breaking up snap..actually the .40 feels like its trying to jump out or your hand the .45 rolls nicely back in your hand on recoil.

You will get used to it. I still find myself anticipating the recoil on my .40, but hardly ever with my .45
    Embrace the recoil rather than shy from it.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

The gun can make a difference too, for sure. I've often said I couldn't hit a cow with my FNH FNP40 if she was standing on my chest - very snappy gun. But my Beretta PX4 full size, with the rotating barrel system absorbing a lot of the recoil - it's like shooting a .380. Very very sweet, doesn't tend to induce a flinch.
    RemMod597 likes this.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Distinguished Member
    I've always heard about the snappy recoil of the .40 but I shot my first one Monday night (M&P) and it wasn't a big deal. To me it doesn't seem to have noticeably any more recoil than my 9mm (SIG 228).
    sixsccw likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

All good. Also, dry fire for about 10 min/day for a week before you hit the range again.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I've always heard about the snappy recoil of the .40 but I shot my first one Monday night (M&P) and it wasn't a big deal. To me it doesn't seem to have noticeably any more recoil than my 9mm (SIG 228).
    I'd have to agree. In fact, mine seems to be more controllable than my 9mm. Much better groups and easier double taps.

Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    I'm very used to shooting the 9mm which has comparatively very small recoil. I've recently tried shooting the .40 S&W, and while it's not by any means an extreme amount of recoil, it still seems to be enough that it throws me off. I think I may be flinching a bit with it as well which I've been trying to stop.

Any bits of advice to help me to effeciently adjust to the recoil?

PS: The Glock 23 is what I've been mainly shooting in the .40 S&W. I'm assuming heavier guns such as the SIG and HK don't kick as much.
    Funny, I just shot my first Glock 23 this afternoon. I EDC an XD40 Service and it has been great since I got it last year but the G23 was so much less effort for me to shoot accurately. The whole time I've been shooting my XD40 (about 200-300 rds per month on average this year) it never felt uncomfortable or unmanageable... until I got to compare it side by side with the G23, which really just feels like it's pushing straight back on recoil as opposed to the muzzle flipping up a bit like the XD does.

As has been said already, pressing your palms together more tightly should help greatly as should increasing strength a bit. But perhaps you could find a way to do a comparison such as the one I was able to do. That may offer some relative perspective and help you feel more comfortable with your G23. If it doesn't, I know someone who'd be willing to trade an XD40 Service for a G23.
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links