Taming the .40 S&W beast?

This is a discussion on Taming the .40 S&W beast? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm very used to shooting the 9mm which has comparatively very small recoil. I've recently tried shooting the .40 S&W, and while it's not by ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Taming the .40 S&W beast?

I'm very used to shooting the 9mm which has comparatively very small recoil. I've recently tried shooting the .40 S&W, and while it's not by any means an extreme amount of recoil, it still seems to be enough that it throws me off. I think I may be flinching a bit with it as well which I've been trying to stop.

Any bits of advice to help me to effeciently adjust to the recoil?

PS: The Glock 23 is what I've been mainly shooting in the .40 S&W. I'm assuming heavier guns such as the SIG and HK don't kick as much.

Lean into your stance more to stabilize yourself and get a nice tight high up grip especially with the glock you should be able to drive most of the recoil straight back into your hand limiting the movement of the barrel. If you're flinching try to reduce the "shock" double up on hearing protection by wearing earplugs under your earmuffs sometimes its the extra decibels that throw you off.

Never, ever shoot a .40 from inside a closed car. Trust me.
    surefire7, ks kid and RemMod597 like this.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

The easiest thing is just to go shoot it allot. Focus on smooth trigger squeeze. After awhile, you'll lose the flinch.
    jwhite75 and BugDude like this.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Administrator
    Its a mental game. Stop thinking of at as a "beast" and think of it as the Short and Weak.
    shooterX, VBVAGUY and RemMod597 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Once it is your EDC you will never notice. I switch from my 228 to my 23 regularly with not notice of perceived recoil. Your mental perception appears to be affecting you for than anything
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Just want to suggest that conditioning and increasing arm/wrist strength can make a difference. For close up point shooting a slight cant may also help.

I have a Glock 27 and what worked for me was some advice I got to squeeze really hard, almost till your hand shakes. That slight trembling won't throw you off. Then live and dry, practice squeezing the trigger real slow without anticipating. Do it enough and it will also make your hands stronger.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

The 40 is hardly a beast. My daughter was shooting it quite well at 9 years old in a g27. The thing is, it's all about perception. Wrap your hands around a 44 mountain revolver stoked with some full house loads, fire a few cylinders of that, and then pick up the 40 and you will have a different perception.

It is probably just a mental issue for you at this point.

It's mind over matter; if you don't mind, it don't matter.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The 40 is hardly a beast. My daughter was shooting it quite well at 9 years old in a g27. The thing is, it's all about perception. Wrap your hands around a 44 mountain revolver stoked with some full house loads, fire a few cylinders of that, and then pick up the 40 and you will have a different perception.

It is probably just a mental issue for you at this point.

It's mind over matter; if you don't mind, it don't matter.
    You typed this from your phone, didn't you?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Yep, how did you know?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yep, how did you know?
    The auto-correct. It typed "44 mountain revolver" instead of "44 magnum"

Lol, good eye, but I really did mean " mountain revolver". Smith&Wesson has made a series og guns with this name for years that is basically a M29 with a tapered barrel to cut back on weight and a little metal removed from the frame also. It's intended to be a lighter, easier packing gun while still being chambered for the thumpers. The trade off is increased felt recoil.

Right now I am so tired after a double shift, I could easily make an error though.:)

Deafguy3 sounds llike maybe you've had experience from shooting a .40 inside a closed cat.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I don't consider any handgun caliber a "beast" with the exception of .44 Magnum and .50AE which packs quite a punch. My first handgun was an HK USP Compact in .40 S&W and I feel absolutely no recoil or have any problems shooting it. When I first shot a .45 Auto I was expecting a ton of recoil from what I had read online, but I was surprised that recoil was not bad at all and that I was extremely accurate with it. Nonetheless, I agree with the previous poster that arm/wrist strength, grip, leaning into the recoil and controlling your mind is a very important factor in dealing with recoil. If you are expecting a "beast" every time you pull the trigger and you hold the handgun with fear like it is a 30mm machine gun, then of course you will have a hard time taming the .40 S&W caliber and you will flinch incessantly. Just get lots of practice with it, relax your mind, work on your flinching, squeeze the trigger smoothly and evenly (don't slap the trigger), lean into the shot and get a good grip angle and strength on it. If after that you still have a hard time with recoil, then try getting some strength in your arms and wrists by doing some exercise with dumbbells or just stick with the 9mm. After all, a well placed 9mm shot will always be better than a missed .40 S&W shot.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links