Recommendations Any One?

This is a discussion on Recommendations Any One? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; from Central Florida! From a Glock lover... ret...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Recommendations Any One?

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

From a Glock lover...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Glock 26. It's a classic and every pistolero should own one and it's a good place to start. It will never let you down.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I wanted a .45 auto as my first pistol, so I picked up a Glock 30. It's nice to have a few more rounds than a 1911 (10 vs 8) and I use the 13-rd G21 mag for HD duty for a few extra rounds again. Plus the Glock shoots and shoots and shoots...

First carry gun is always a tough choice. What fits the hand well may not shoot the best; what shoots best may not fit the hand best, and so forth. If you have the availability to rent different models, that's a big advantage (I didn't). Eack make and model has advantages and disadvantages. You'll need to decide for yourself what works best for you.

Good luck and welcome!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    You definitely should try a selection from all three makers before buying. When I go looking to add to the lineup, I usually have a shortlist of possibilities and sometimes I can rule one out just by handling it in the store - no need to even shoot it.

After all, if the weight and balance, feel of the slide, and ergonomics of the grip don't work for you while standing at the counter, they won't get better while you're at the range. The right one should feel like it was made for you. If it passes that test, try it out.

Another point is that all handguns make compromises. You have more than one screwdriver, so plan on owning more than one firearm.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Opinions abound. Try them all, buy the one that you like best, and train with it a lot. For me I like the XD grip angle and feel, but that is just preference and I can appreciate the others as well. Put in a good range day by renting all three and putting 100 rounds down the pipe of each to get a real feel for them. Then GO HOME. Sleep on it. Think. Then go buy the one you liked best.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

As the others have said, all of your manufacturer options are quality. Auto or revolver; full size, compact, or sub; capacity; method of carry; etc? You'll need to narrow down your needs/likes by shooting as many of you possible choices as possible (this is the fun part!).
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Welcome! of the three manufacturers you gave I like the trigger on the SR9/40 the best. Overall I like the Glock the best and the XDM second. even with the great trigger the ruger would come in third for me when looking on the over all packages. But none of this means anything to you because we are all different and are gonna like different things. I suggest try and settle on what caliber you want to go with and then borrow or rent the guns on your list so you can get a first hand feel of them.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

It is really what fits your hand the best but since you asked for advice I will say a Glock 19 because I find it to be a very versatile weapon, perfect for a first pistol. Any of your possible choices are good ones.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    There are a total of 5 people either friends or family who own M&P's.... including me. I would not rule them out. They are just as reliable as Glocks, more versatile and easy to modify to the shooters hand. Check out some of my videos.... I hope they give further info.
    YouTube - Glock vs M&P
    YouTube - M&P Review 1
    YouTube - M&P Review 2
    YouTube - M&P vs XD
    YouTube - M&P Torture testing
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Cool

Try before you buy. Have a knowledgeable friend with you. I really like the Glock 19. It was the first Glock I ever owned bought in 1994 and still with me.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Welcome to the forum from the other side of the state, the hills of east Tennessee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links