Recommendations Any One?

This is a discussion on Recommendations Any One? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to this site and I looking to obtain my first handgun, I have narrowed it down to three manufacturers, Ruger, XD or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Recommendations Any One?

Recommendations Any One?

I am new to this site and I looking to obtain my first handgun, I have narrowed it down to three manufacturers, Ruger, XD or Glock. I would like to use it for conceal carry and home defense Any insight would be helpful.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome aboard Shawn!

Of course we know each other. Nice to see you here. As we have discussed, I like all 3 and i think all three have pluses and minuses. I still suggest you go to RangeUSA and rent them. They have all 3 for rent there and you can shoot them and see whigh fits your hand best and which you are more comfortable with. That's the best way to find the perfect gun for you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

+1 for renting or borrowing a buddies gun if you can to get a feel for them. I own a springfield xd subcompact and just picked up a glock 26, everyone will tell you they're nearly identical but to me they shoot and feel entirely different. There's really no way for anyone to tell you what you will get a better grip on or shoot better until you give it a try. Any of your choices will be good though all 3 manufacturers make great reliable firearms its personal preference beyond that. For a well rounded gun that you can use for both conceal carry and home defense consider a subcompact since you can always use the full size magazine at night as a bedside gun but carry with the shorter magazine for easier concealment.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    This is almost like the Ford v. GM type of question. Each of us has our own prefrences and so it makes it rough. I beleive all three are reliable weapons and any will do the job if you do yours. As Mike said, hit the range and rent them and see what your like. If you just buy one and try it and not like it, you will spend even more money to buy another to replace it, take that from someone who has bought a few firearms and regreted it and went back to what I know and love.
    ksblazer likes this.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Welcome Shawn71. As the others said find some to try out. Youll get a million different opinions here. Youve picked some of the best mfgs. Cant go wrong with any of them. I personally chose a Glock 27 for several reasons... 1)Because Glocks WORK! period. 2)The sub-compacts are smaller than the XD sub-compacts. 3)Its a .40cal 4) It fit my hand well. 5) For a small gun its dang accurate. I use a 15 round mag at home and use the 10 round mag for CC. You can get thinner guns in a single stack magazine, but for a HD and CC gun I would go with a double stack to have more rounds. Good luck and have fun.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

The above said it best. Try as many as you can before you buy.

In my personal experience, I've had some issues w/ the grip safety on the XD, OTOH I never applied myself to master it.

Rugers are fine guns. I don't know about the newest models but Ruger makes solid, dependable, chunky guns.

IMHO The Glock is the best choice. It has the simplest manual of arms. OTOOH a lot of people don't like the grip.

Bottom line is try before you buy if at all possible. If you absolutely cannot fire one first, go to a gun show and handle as many different kinds as you can and take notes on what you liked the best and why. Then google the snot out of your final few.

A good range should let you try several without charging a separate rental fee for each gun. YMMV
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post
    +1 for renting or borrowing a buddies gun if you can to get a feel for them. I own a springfield xd subcompact and just picked up a glock 26, everyone will tell you they're nearly identical but to me they shoot and feel entirely different. There's really no way for anyone to tell you what you will get a better grip on or shoot better until you give it a try. Any of your choices will be good though all 3 manufacturers make great reliable firearms its personal preference beyond that. For a well rounded gun that you can use for both conceal carry and home defense consider a subcompact since you can always use the full size magazine at night as a bedside gun but carry with the shorter magazine for easier concealment.
    I didn't mention this (Bold) but that is a very, very good point. The Glock 26 will accept the Glock 19 and 17 magazines, the XD subcompact will accept the full size XD magazines and the Ruger SR9 compact will accept the full size SR9 magazines. When i carry my G23, I typically carry a full size G22 magazine as the spare/reload mag.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    The above said it best. Try as many as you can before you buy.

In my personal experience, I've had some issues w/ the grip safety on the XD, OTOH I never applied myself to master it.

Rugers are fine guns. I don't know about the newest models but Ruger makes solid, dependable, chunky guns.

IMHO The Glock is the best choice. It has the simplest manual of arms. OTOOH a lot of people don't like the grip.

Bottom line is try before you buy if at all possible. If you absolutely cannot fire one first, go to a gun show and handle as many different kinds as you can and take notes on what you liked the best and why. Then google the snot out of your final few.

A good range should let you try several without charging a separate rental fee for each gun. YMMV
    I would only point out that while Ruger has made chunky guns in the past, the SR9/40 is anything but chunky. In fact, it has the slimmest grip of any double stack mag 9 or 40 on the market.
    4evrinblujns likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard Shawn71. As others have said, all are great manufacturers. I have a G19, G26 and a XD40 sub-compact. I've shot a SR9c and was really impressed. It feels thinner to me than the Glock or XD. If I had to chose between the two Glocks, it would be the G19 hands down. I can conceal it just as easy as the G26 and it is one of my night stand guns.

For a first gun, I'd stick with a 9mm. It's cheaper to shoot, so you can practice more.

Have fun shopping...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Find a range that rents the guns you are interested in, and shoot each. This is advice that I have all too often not taken, and have paid the price.

For me, the SA XD is hard to beat. Great shooter, and doesn't have the screwed up grip angle of the Glock (sorry Glock fans). I would also argue the point made above that the Glock SC models (26 and 27) are smaller than a XD9sc or XD40sc. In some ways they are, in others they are larger.

Your best course is to sort through the BS on your own, and choose the gun you shoot the best.

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! All above advice is good. I chose the SA XD40 SC and am happy with it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome from South Carolina...I personally have chosen the Glock 26 and the Glock 19...Simplicity and reliability was my criteria...9mm also makes it cost effective for training...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Welcome aboard Shawn!

Of course we know each other. Nice to see you here. As we have discussed, I like all 3 and i think all three have pluses and minuses. I still suggest you go to RangeUSA and rent them. They have all 3 for rent there and you can shoot them and see whigh fits your hand best and which you are more comfortable with. That's the best way to find the perfect gun for you.
    Bingo. All are great companies and great firearms. List out your needs and characteristics you want and try to find a model that meets those. Everything is a balance of pros and cons.

Do you need really small and light due to concealment? Small and light usually means more recoil if you are recoil sensitive.
    Is the thickness of the gun going to matter much for carry or feel in hand?
    Trigger reach is an important fit issue.
    How do you plan to carry? Pocket, IWB, OWB? Some of each depending on attire and circumstance.
    Do you really want a manual safety? Really do NOT want a manual safety? Springfields have a grip safety, which some really like and some do not.
    Do you want double action only or DA/SA? Do you want striker fired or external hammer fired?
    How important is capacity to you? 8 rounds, 10, 15? The more rounds also means more carry weight.
    Are after market accessories important to you? night sights, light, laser? Some models or brands have more available than others.

Once you identify the characteristics that are important to you for your own reasons, that will really help you narrow down the selection of guns to fit your specific needs. Purpose driven purchase. Hope this helps.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I suggest you stick to Springfield Armory and Glock since you can get a compact or sub-compact handgun for concealed carry and then use high capacity magazines and extensions to make it work as a home defense firearm. If I could recommend one, I would say get the Glock 26 for concealed carry and buy a few Glock 19 magazines with the extension to use as home defense and a 30 round high capacity magazine in case SHTF.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

AS others have said, go to a range that rents guns and try all you are interested in. Including the Glock. I had heard of the "screwed up grip angle" of the Glock for years, believed it til I shot one. I now own two and they shoot just as good as my Springfield, or any of my semi-autos.
    And if you pick the right clothes and holster, you can conceal a full sized (4") handgun.

crabbbys44, "A good range should let you try several without charging a separate rental fee for each gun.YMMV"

Ranges around here charge per caliber, you pay rental price and one at a time, you can try every 9mm in the rental case.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links