You all are not going to believe what I just put on lay-a-way

This is a discussion on You all are not going to believe what I just put on lay-a-way within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Congrats on 'another' new pistol...nothing wrong with that....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: You all are not going to believe what I just put on lay-a-way

Congrats on 'another' new pistol...nothing wrong with that.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Hope this one changes your luck. I have only owned one Kahr, a P9, and "known" two others, a K40 and another P9, and all of them have been flawless. The odds are in your favor!
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I give credit where credit it due. No one has yet come out with a small 9mm pistol that will fit in (most) pockets, weigh 16 oz, take +P ammo, lock the slide open when empty, have real sights, and not have extraneous thumb safeties or other nonsensical doodads. If they did, I would have bought it instead - but for now, the Kahr is it.
    - Good luck with the PM9. I've had good luck with Kahrs with a good cleaning ritual. GunZilla and Mil-Tec1 grease on the rails. Rack the slide a few dozen times and down to the range. I love my Kahr MK9, PM9 and P380. Although if Glock came out with a micro single stack 9mm, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I hope it works out for you. I've always found the Kahrs interesting. I believe it is the MK9 that has the steel frame? I've had my eye on one of those but haven't taken the step...I'm hoping to find one in a pawn shop used for a decent price.
    - The MK9 is a really nice firearm. I carried it for many, many years as my primary. I ended up switching to the PM9 due to it's much lighter weight.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Nope. I don't know that I will ever trust a Kahr handgun as a solo piece, but backed up by a BUG, it becomes viable to my way of thinking. It will strictly be a 7 shot weapon - if I need more than that, or if it malfunctions in any way, it will get dumped and the LCP will come out.

I give credit where credit it due. No one has yet come out with a small 9mm pistol that will fit in (most) pockets, weigh 16 oz, take +P ammo, lock the slide open when empty, have real sights, and not have extraneous thumb safeties or other nonsensical doodads. If they did, I would have bought it instead - but for now, the Kahr is it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The Kel-tec P11 Does all of that ,http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf
    is the same size, Holds more, weighs the same,(even with more rounds.) and goes bang every time, and is $300+ less.

Trigger sucks, but hey, you can't have everything.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The Kel-tec P11 Does all of that ,http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf
    is the same size, Holds more, weighs the same,(even with more rounds.) and goes bang every time, and is $300+ less.

Trigger sucks, but hey, you can't have everything.
    A bit too thick for pocket carry I'm afraid, especially in business dress attire - at least for me. I don't think the specs on that chart are correct - the single-stack PM9 is thinner than the double-stack P11. While the difference might not be much, for pocket carry (especially in business dress) it makes a difference. Also, the P11 is limited to ammo with less than 400 ft-lbs of energy (IIRC) so not all +P ammo will be "ok" to use.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; April 2nd, 2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: more info
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

By the way, if some of you are wondering how I managed to pull off dual pocket carry, given all the other "stuff" we typically carry around, here is what I did:

First thing was to pare down my wallet. I removed everything not essential, in order to make it thinner. It now goes in my right rear pocket – I had previously always carried it up front, as it was too thick to sit on in comfort.

My left rear pocket carries my ID/badge wallet, and my Spyderco Native folding knife.

Keys went on the belt at 2 o'clock, on a D-ring. Cell phone is on the belt on the right side. Sometimes I carry a flashlight on the left side, other times it gets clipped in a cargo pocket.

In casual attire, I carry spare mags in a cargo pocket on the left, and a Quik-clot dressing on the right. In business attire, I forgo the spare mags, and the dressing goes in my laptop bag.

If any of you are thinking of doing this, I hope this helps give you some ideas!
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Picked up my PM9 yesterday. Took it home, cleaned and lubed it, added the CT laser, and racked the slide 100 times.

Went to the range today. Results were better than I feared...but not as good as I had hoped for.

At the 35 round mark, using Federal 115 gr FMJ ammo and the 6-rd mag (what I will carry it with) I had a failure to lock the slide open when empty. This shot string was the only one that I decided to try chambering the first round using the overhand method instead of the recommended slide release. It loaded just fine, but had the issue not locking open when empty. Not sure if the method of charging the pistol had anything to do with it, but I used the slide release for the rest of the range session.

At 172 rounds, I had a feed failure (nose down jam) using WWB 115 gr FMJ ammo and the 7-rd mag. A quick tap-rack got it going again.

At 227 rounds, I had the most serious failure. With the 7-rd mag and WWB ammo, I had a nose down jam where the round was jammed under the bottom of the feed ramp. This could not be cleared without removing the mag. This was the last failure today.

I then switched to some of my meager remaining supply of Federal 124 gr +P EFMJ ammo. I fired 16 of those using the 6-rd mag with no issues. I then fired 18 rounds of Hornady CD ammo using both mags, again no issues.

Finished off with 20 more WWB FMJ, no issues this time. Total of 302 rounds and 3 failures - the first two I would classify as minor, the last as major since it required ejecting the mag to get running again.

I'll feel better if I can get at least 200-300 more rounds through without any failure of any kind. On a positive note, accuracy (especially with the premium defensive ammo) was very good - I was easily able to shred the 10-ring at 7 yards. Several mags had groups where all the rounds were touching. Impressive for such a small pistol.

As stated earlier in this thread, given my ingrained training to use the overhand reloading method, I do not think I will ever trust myself to carry a Kahr pistol as my only gun - too much of a chance of me flubbing the reload. This is strictly going to be a 7 shot gun - if that isn't enough or the weapon malfunctions, it is getting dumped and my BUG LCP is coming out.
    CT Lasers

Kinda of like life, eh?

I believe that with the listed grievances that you have with the Kahr and the fact that you carry a bug, I would forget the Kahr and go with a j-frame that will run every time and if 5 will not get the job done then I would go to the bug. I don't think that I would beat my head against the wall repeatedly to make something work for me that I had so many reservations about from the outset.JMO

What is it they say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I own a CW 9 and it is my EDC. I have put over 800 rounds through it in the 8 months I have owned it and will be dumping 200 more in to it tomorow. No issues so far, not one FTF FTE. I fully intend to get a CM9 when they arrive in my store to be my BUG. With the CW9 i can consistantly put 8 out of 8 rounds in a 6X9 target @ 20 feet after drawing from my IWBH. Love the Kahr brand and fully trust my CW9 to do the job that I pray it will never have to do.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    I would forget the Kahr and go with a j-frame that will run every time and if 5 will not get the job done then I would go to the bug. I don't think that I would beat my head against the wall repeatedly to make something work for me that I had so many reservations about from the outset.JMO
    10thmtn has the same opinion I do. I don't think J-frame works well in pocket carry for the business environment. The cylinder prints horribly. It's much, much easier to pocket carry a thin semi for this reason. I've tried numerous holsters for my S&W 638 and none of them break up the outline well and the ones that do are too thick to be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    10thmtn has the same opinion I do. I don't think J-frame works well in pocket carry for the business environment. The cylinder prints horribly. It's much, much easier to pocket carry a thin semi for this reason. I've tried numerous holsters for my S&W 638 and none of them break up the outline well and the ones that do are too thick to be comfortable.
    This is much like everything related to guns, individuals have different experiences. I can pocket my j-frame in my business attire as easy as my autos with printing never being an issue. A trip to Men's Wearhouse will resolve this issue as it is a very easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    This is much like everything related to guns, individuals have different experiences. I can pocket my j-frame in my business attire as easy as my autos with printing never being an issue. A trip to Men's Wearhouse will resolve this issue as it is a very easy fix.
    I've tried the revolver, and it just prints too much. Other than making the pocket deeper, what will the tailors do to remedy that?

I have big ol' tree trunk thighs, and even the pistols print in my pockets - the only way I get away with it is because I use pocket holsters with an anti-print panel, which makes them look like a wallet or smart phone. I cannot even use "traditional" pocket holsters like the Nemesis, because you can still clearly see the grip.

I would indeed prefer something like the LCR in .357, but I just don't see how.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; April 10th, 2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: more info
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Glutton for Punishment?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

You gotta be careful about Titles on here,my first thought was Womens Lingerie,but I got a warped mind.Congrats on your future purchase
    crzy4guns likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links