You all are not going to believe what I just put on lay-a-way

This is a discussion on You all are not going to believe what I just put on lay-a-way within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn I've tried the revolver, and it just prints too much. Other than making the pocket deeper, what will the tailors do ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: You all are not going to believe what I just put on lay-a-way

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I've tried the revolver, and it just prints too much. Other than making the pocket deeper, what will the tailors do to remedy that?

I have big ol' tree trunk thighs, and even the pistols print in my pockets - the only way I get away with it is because I use pocket holsters with an anti-print panel, which makes them look like a wallet or smart phone. I cannot even use "traditional" pocket holsters like the Nemesis, because you can still clearly see the grip.

I would indeed prefer something like the LCR in .357, but I just don't see how.

If you do go to a tailor to get custom pockets sewed in, could they use a different thicker material that will conceal better so it will not print ?? I was thinking about trying this by going to some fabric shop and looking at the different fabrics to see what would be good. Again just my opinion. God Bless

2. Remove Ads

10th, can't believe you bit again on one, just dumped my second one a couple of months back, it was a 2010 model and wasn't any better than the first year I had, only Khar I will own now is a steel framed model, they run. I'm buying a R9 no full well the limits of it, but its now a every day shooter. Still have my Secamp 380 for back up if it doesn't work out, don't worry as much about 380 as I used to

VA, what your thinking is a old trick thats worked for years, I used to carry a DIck Spl in the pocket , theat had been changed from lien to sail cloth by my seamstress

You're not the only one to give Kahr another chance. I had a CW40 that locked the slide back with rounds in the mag at the rate of about 1 in 25 rounds. Two trips to the factory didn't fix it so down the road it went. I liked the features so much though that I bought a K40, so far it's been flawless.

Good luck with your's.

Having the pockets changed to a thicker material is an interesting idea. I can see how that would break up the printing of a revolver's grip, but you will still have the thickness of the cylinder to deal with, which will look and feel like a golf ball in your pocket. And remember, I have thick thighs...I would imagine pocket carry of a revolver is a lot easier if you have skinny chicken legs.

In general, I tend to prefer pistols. I like that I get a few more rounds, and that it tells me when it's empty by locking the slide open. I also find it easier and faster to reload, and easier to carry spare ammo. In other words, all the usual advantages of a pistol over a revolver. While I would not attempt to reload the PM9 (or my Glocks for that matter now that I carry a BUG) in the middle of a gunfight, I would do a proactive reload once the fight is over...just in case it isn't.

I've come to the conclusion that small autos are very likely to be finicky. My first LCP has been flawless, with close to 1000 rounds through it. My second one took two trips back to Ruger to get running properly. It now has 400 flawless rounds through it, including running it under stress at a low light pistol class. My wife's LCP was recalled, and had the takedown pin break (it still fired). This is why I've decided that if I am going to go to pocket carry of a small auto as my EDC method, I'm going to carry two of them.

To be fair to Kahr, they do state that the gun is not to be considered reliable until after 200 rounds have been fired through it. My last failure was just after that point. I'm going to run some more ammo through it in the near future, and see what happens. My goal is a total of 200 rounds with no further failures. We'll see...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

10th another thing with dress pants depend on your taste and style of suite is going to pleated fronts, when you change the pockets they have to be made a tad larger in width and some deeper

Put another 200 rounds through my PM9 today, for a total of just over 500 rounds.

The good news - no failures at all with the 6 round mag today. In total, only one failure early on with the 6-rd mag - a failure to lock open when empty.

The bad news - numerous failures with the 7 round mag. I'd fire two rounds, and the next would nose-down under the feed ramp and jam the pistol. This was with two different brands of FMJ ammo - Federal and Blazer Brass. It also happened last time with WWB ammo.

I called Kahr, and the tech suggested that gripping the extended 7-rd mag "too tightly" could cause it to shift in the mag well, and cause this jam. Well, I tried it, and I cannot see any real play in the mag well at all. My opinion is that it is just a bad magazine. Seems silly that they would ship the gun with an extended mag that won't work if you grip it "too tightly."

Regardless, I'm sending the 7-rd mag back to Kahr, and asking them to replace it with a 6-rd mag.

I also noted that the 6-rd mag will not drop free of the gun, while the heavier 7-rd mag will.
    CT Lasers

Thanks for the update. I was really surprise to see your 'about-face' on the Kahrs.
    But I understand and appreciate your reasoning. And they are beautiful pistols.
    Hope the new 6-round mag works out for you. Let us know.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Good news on the 6 round magazine. Disappointing news on the 7 round magazine. I haven't had any issues so far with the 7 round, but I typically only carry it as a spare.

jyo
    I've shot the littlest Kahrs (PM9) and kinda like 'em, but find the grip just a tad too small for me---gone to the slightly larger CW9s (have two) and find they just flat disappear under my shirt (IWB)---the reason I have two is that my wife wanted mine (she did the same thing with my tiny Walther TPH 22, now I have two of those as well)---oh well...

I'm glad you're happy with yours.

I just got mine about a month ago after many trials and tribulations with 2 different gun shops just simply trying to find such an in-demand handgun. I thought, "This damned thing better be worth every penny." I was not disappointed. 500 rounds later and zero malfunctions. But what surprised me, I mean really threw me a curve, was the PM9's accuracy. Phenomenal.

I now carry mine daily in a kydex pocket holster by the Aholster Company out of Tennessee. Alan Miller is a joy to deal with and he's making his Kahr PM9 pocket holster to fit the new dimensional changes that Kahr has recently incorporated.

I load mine with standard pressure 124-grain Federal HST and feel really good about my selection. I'm so pleased with the PM9, I'm going to by the P380, too, and I don't care how much it costs over the Ruger!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Hell freezes over! I never thought I would see 10th Mt. purchase another Kahr. Good luck with this one, as you well know and likely are tiring of hearing about my 2 Kahr's PM9/CW40 have both been perfect performers from the first round forward. I truly hope this one works out for you. Nothing else fills the small quality made CCW niche as well as they do IMO.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Well, I got a replacement 6-rd mag from Kahr today. Quick turnaround, but I am a bit disappointed that they didn't also send me another 7-rd mag. I paid for a gun with a 6 and a 7 round mag, and now I have two 6-rd mags. This is especially disappointing since I bought the gun directly from Kahr via their instructor program - you would THINK they would want to make a good impression with instructors. They had an opportunity to exceed my expectations - swing and a miss...

Now I have to head to the range and try this mag out to make sure it works - seems you cannot take that for granted, especially with these tiny micro pistols.

Ah well.
    CT Lasers

Layaway still exists? I should put something on layaway....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links