You all are not going to believe what I just put on lay-a-way

This is a discussion on You all are not going to believe what I just put on lay-a-way within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just put a Kahr PM9 on lay-a-way. This will be my third one, and my fourth Kahr. As some of you know, my luck ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: You all are not going to believe what I just put on lay-a-way

Talking You all are not going to believe what I just put on lay-a-way

I just put a Kahr PM9 on lay-a-way. This will be my third one, and my fourth Kahr.

As some of you know, my luck with Kahr has not been too good. After I sold my last PM9, I waited for someone else in the industry to come up with something better. Alas, nothing has been forthcoming. The Ruger LC9 is too big and has a thumb safety and a mag disconnect. The Sig P290 is close, but too heavy. The Diamondback DB9 won't take +P ammo and does not lock the slide open when empty. The Rohrbaugh R9 costs too much, and has the same issues as the DB9. The Boberg XR9s is still not out, and looks like it will push $1k...

I put 300 rounds through the last PM9 I had with no issues, except for the manual of arms. It needed the slide release lever (just like the manual says) to chamber correctly - but I had always trained to use the overhand method. It would not allow me to do a tap-rack drill when fully loaded with JHPs without jamming. So, I sold it and got a Glock 26. The Glock just works, no matter what.

The G26 is my favorite pistol, but given my concealment needs, I can only carry it in a Smartcarry. While comfortable enough, it can get annoying at times, especially when driving for long stretches. I bought two LCPs along the way, and find myself pocket carrying both of them quite often (one each side), as this is very concealed and also very comfortable.

I realized that the fact that I now have a BUG means that I no longer need to worry about reloading my primary, nor clearing a malfunction. If my primary stops working for any reason, my default drill is to dump it and use my BUG. That, in turn, means that the quirks of the PM9 are no longer as much of a concern for me, as they were when I carried it as my only gun. So, I'm giving them yet another try.

If this PM9 works out, I will likely revert to pure pocket carry - PM9 on one side, LCP on the other. If it doesn't, I'm going to feel like the biggest sucker that ever walked the planet...
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Good luck...maybe third time is the charm?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sounds like good reasoning... Let us know how it turns out. I've been looking into one of the new single stack mini-9's myself. I don't have any problems with my XD9sc, but like you said, there is a little bulk there which gives some conceal ability issues.

I also have an LCP which I have been using as a BUG to the XD.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member

Thumbs up

I love your logic, 10thmtn. We've gone thru the same guns and experiences. I just joined the PM9 club for the first time today. I won't get to the range until the week after next to verify it. Here's to our success.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    10thmtn

You, sir, are one hell of a man for making your news public. You have my respect.

surv

Let us know how it works out..... good luck.

I bought my first Kahr and haven't even gotten to shoot it yet, so .... I'll find out too I guess.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Congrats on your third PM9 and I hope you find it to be what you're looking for. I'm still on my first PM9 and love carrying it. I've had no reliability issues with it. If I rack the slide and the first round nose dives into the feed ramp, I just rack it (sling shot it) again. It drives the round home into the chamber and the rest of the magazine fires just fine. I've had no problem doing this.

Clean it good, lube it good, then take it out and run 200 rounds through it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Wow, 10thmtn this is a surprise. I thought you'd sworn off Kahr's for good. I like your logic for this PM9 and hopefully this time will be a charm. Best of luck with this PM9, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Let us know what happens at the range.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I can't fault your logic. Good luck with the new PM9. I think you made a good choice.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Did you consider the new CM9? It's functionally close to the PM9 but $200 cheaper.

10th, this is you April Fool's spoof on all of us, right?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Did you consider the new CM9? It's functionally close to the PM9 but $200 cheaper.
    Kahr has an instructor sales program - via that route, the PM9 was $440 delivered, plus $65 for night sights. At that price, I'll take the PM9 over the CM9 for its lack of MIM parts. Otherwise, I'd likely have gone the CM9 route.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    10th, this is you April Fool's spoof on all of us, right?
    Nope. I don't know that I will ever trust a Kahr handgun as a solo piece, but backed up by a BUG, it becomes viable to my way of thinking. It will strictly be a 7 shot weapon - if I need more than that, or if it malfunctions in any way, it will get dumped and the LCP will come out.

I give credit where credit it due. No one has yet come out with a small 9mm pistol that will fit in (most) pockets, weigh 16 oz, take +P ammo, lock the slide open when empty, have real sights, and not have extraneous thumb safeties or other nonsensical doodads. If they did, I would have bought it instead - but for now, the Kahr is it.
    CT Lasers

I hope everything works out for you, and as others have stated maybe the third time is the charm! You have given me some food for thought as I pocket carry a Ruger LCP w/CT laser. I have long admired the Kahr PM9, but it was a little too pricey for me. Now that the CM9 is out, I may end up with one of those. What a sweet deal if you got a PM9 for $440 + $65 for night sights, I would dare say you can't lose in that situation!
    God bless our troops!

I hope it works out for you. I've always found the Kahrs interesting. I believe it is the MK9 that has the steel frame? I've had my eye on one of those but haven't taken the step...I'm hoping to find one in a pawn shop used for a decent price.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links