Got a new kel tec p3at, need sighting advice.

This is a discussion on Got a new kel tec p3at, need sighting advice. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the most lightweight weapon i've ever shot. Using federal premium low recoil 90 grain hydra skok jhp's without problems. Any user advice would ...

Thread: Got a new kel tec p3at, need sighting advice.

Got a new kel tec p3at, need sighting advice.

This is the most lightweight weapon i've ever shot. Using federal premium low recoil 90 grain hydra skok jhp's without problems. Any user advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    mike broz

"always keep and have the advantage"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Get close. The P3AT is a contact pistol just like my LCP is. I practice a lot of point shooting with it. I mainly shoot from 10 yards in and thats it.

It's an 'in your eye' weapon, IMHO...although our school resource just qualified with his little pocket/backup P-3AT...great little weapon.
    Enjoy the .380...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"need sighting advice" - My advice... Use the force. Seriously, the p3at pretty much embodies a point shooting gun.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Good Gun(as is its "cousin" the LCP) get close its a point and shoot type deal..its not a Jack Bauer hit a guy center mass while running at 50 yards type of weapon...its a 12 yard or LESS type of deal..Honestly if i get one the first thing(because of they pretty much "junk" sights) thats going on is a laser :)

Sighting with a P3AT? Nope, just point and shoot.

I've been carrying my P3AT for about a year and a half and put 3-400 rounds through it with NO failures. That said, I believe it is marginal at best (this from a guy who carried a Beretta 21A .22lr for years) and most of my practice is at 10yds and less with a few rounds sent further down range to see how well I could shoot.

Some of my practice results:

25ft using the sights (such as they are) I keep a 6-8" group. Not a tack driver, but adequate for the intended purpose.

10-15ft from the retention position, I average a 3-4" group and can place the group right where my eyes are looking. This to me is my intended purpose for the P3AT; a last defense when all other options fail.

My results are not as good as many I've seen due to my physical limitations so may not be typical.
    On a side note, I have nerve damage which causes a "limp wrist" condition when shooting left (weak) handed. Most semi-autos I've fired stove pipe after the first shot or two. I have two that do not. My old Ruger P89DC and the P3AT. Reliability in a defensive firearm is an ABSOLUTE necessity IMO.

Just my two bits worth.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Links