Revolver Carry I am hooked! Now I want one in 357 Mag.

This is a discussion on Revolver Carry I am hooked! Now I want one in 357 Mag. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry my S&W 642 more than any gun I own, I have a Kahr PM9 and it is great to carry also, however, the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Revolver Carry I am hooked! Now I want one in 357 Mag.

I carry my S&W 642 more than any gun I own, I have a Kahr PM9 and it is great to carry also, however, the shape of the two guns for AIWB the revolver is much easier to carry all day.

I want a 357 in a 2.5" to 3" barrel, I like J Frames because I use the clip draw without using a holster for AIWB.

Possibilities:
    S&W 640
    S&W 60 3" (maybe pro series)
    Ruger SP-101 3"
    Ruger LCR 357

Your gun and why you pick what you did?

GP100, 3"
    Reasons: 3" reduces excessive velocity loss and increases sight plane. Weight helps recoil management and follow up shots. Strength for constant 357 diet. Six shots instead of five.
    For me none of these are negatives re carry, but opinions vary.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    GP100, 3"
    Reasons: 3" reduces excessive velocity loss and increases sight plane. Weight helps recoil and follow up shots. Strength for constant 357 diet.
    For me none of these are negatives re carry, but opinions cary.
    Someone, (I think BikerRN), once posted that "a 3" revolver shoots like a 4" and carrys like a 2", or words to that effect. I agree. A 3" GP100 is a good choice if you are wanting a 357 Mag. Wish I had one.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I carry my S&W 642 more than any gun I own, I have a Kahr PM9 and it is great to carry also, however, the shape of the two guns for AIWB the revolver is much easier to carry all day.

I want a 357 in a 2.5" to 3" barrel, I like J Frames because I use the clip draw without using a holster for AIWB.

Possibilities:
    S&W 640
    S&W 60 3" (maybe pro series)
    Ruger SP-101 3"
    Ruger LCR 357

Your gun and why you pick what you did?
    I don't like wearing a belt either so I use a Desantis Prostealth Inside the pant holster because the holster has more padding than those cheapo felt sleeved type holsters and each one comes with a pouch for extra magazine on the semi-auto matic one's. I basically have three of these holsters that will carry the three type of guns i prefer to carry off duty and do so with extreme comfort. The gun's I carry off duty more than any thanks to the awesomeness of this type of holster not needing a belt

duty weapon: M&P 40, Glock 27 and for Summertime or shorts weather: SW mdl 638 j frame airweight and my favorite Ruger SP101 357magnum hammerless double action only.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I have a Ruger GP 100 model KGP 141 with Hogue grips. Awesome!

I have a ruger sp101 2" 1/4 barrel I bought it because they're soft shooting even with .357 loads and I appreciate the extra weight at the range. Mine has a hammer just because I like the option and I've never snagged the hammer on anything while carrying/drawing.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post
    I have a ruger sp101 2" 1/4 barrel I bought it because they're soft shooting even with .357 loads and I appreciate the extra weight at the range. Mine has a hammer just because I like the option and I've never snagged the hammer on anything while carrying/drawing.
    + 1 I love my SP-101 2 1/4 " barrel. IWB appendix in a High Noon Mr. Softy works great for me. That said if you really like S&W then go in that direction and you really can't go wrong. I am with you on S&W j-frames .38 spl as seen below

photo.jpg photo.jpg

MY SP with a Arizona Gun Leather OWB holster. S&W 638 (now my wifes carry gun)
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have a S&W 442 and when I stepped up to a snub in .357 I went with the SP101 2.25" bbl. I carry IWB with a nylon clip holster and OWB with a leather belt holster. The SP101 is the only gun on the market currently with no MIM parts. All stainless steel. The extra weight really helps with shootability. It's an awesome carry piece that I've been able to attain great accuracy with and I enjoy shooting it. I shoot it a lot with full power 158 gr .357 mag rounds. I believe the SP101 is the best all around multi-purpose handgun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I have a S&W 442 for pocket carry that I really like.

I wanted a .357, but it had to be heavy enough to handle the recoil, and short enough to carry appendix.

For me that meant a 2" Ruger SP101
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I love the 3" SP101, I am wearing mine now. I had the 2 1/4" but like the 3" better. It carries and conceals well, love the way it shoots. I put a set of Houge grips on it and will put a set of Badger's on it soon. Anyway it is a great revolver, I don't think you would be disappointed. Good Luck with your choice.

For me its the 3" SP101. The GP100 is good, but its niche is for HD gun or camping woods gun. The SP does it all from CC to range gun to HD. For me its perfect.
    The Ruger SP101
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Ok, i guess i am going to be the only one who has a Taurus Snub that i do carry... it is around 23 ounces, holds 5 rounds of 357 magnum, and is a pleasure to shoot. I carry this gun in my front pocket with a Desantis Nemesis holster. Love it, and very inexpensive. So far, no problems with it at all. They have is online for $333 Taurus 651 Protector .357mag 2in Blue $333.00 SHIPS FREE Nothing bad against the Ruger... and with all the talk on how great it is, i am thinking about one myself. The GP 100 would get you one extra round.. or if you opted for the 327 federal Mag you would get a total of 7 rounds. Bunker
    Attached Images
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My most-used .357 revolvers are SP101 snubbies. Actually, one has a 3.06" barrel, which some consider not a snubby. In my less-than-large hands, they handle almost like a service-sized sixgun, yet are almost as concealable as J-frames. Unless I need extremely deep concealment, I prefer to carry in Milt Sparks PMK holsters. Two of mine have Trijicon front night sights.

I don't generally tote service-sized revolvers for now, because my P229 duty pistols are handy without having to open the safe, the Von Stavenhagen rear sights are easier for my aging eyes, and the tritium in the front sights facilitates aiming in low light. My several GP100 sixguns, in 3", 4", 5", and 6" barrel lengths generally sit in the safe. My 4" Speed Six serves as a house gun, as my wife likes it. My 4" S&W Model 19-5 gets carried more than the other medium/large revolvers, simply because I feel the need to tote blue steel in my gunleather sometimes, using Milt Sparks PMK or 200AW holsters. Life is good.

I own a couple of J-frames, but not chambered for .357 Magnum. I have my limitations! Magnums fired in an SP101 are fine. Grips like the Pachmayr Decelerators would probably enable me to fire J-snubs OK, but then I would have huge, sticky grips complicating the concealment equation.

I reckon my proportion of sixgun carry will increase after I retire from peace officering.

Edited to add: My avatar at the left of the screen is a 3" GP100, a rare variant with adjustable sights.

Rexster, thank for the info the SP 101 in a snubbie would a great gun as well as the S&W 640 in 357, so many guns so little time.

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    Ruger SP101 2.5" DAO for me!
    Used to carry a Glock 27, but for my purposes... the Double action-only snubbie is perfect.
    My SP sports badger grips, and mepro night sight... and is soon due for an overhaul at Gemini Customs...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links