What else do you shoot?

This is a discussion on What else do you shoot? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious for most people here - do you range shoot only what you carry or do you have a host of other weapons you ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What else do you shoot?

What else do you shoot?

I'm curious for most people here - do you range shoot only what you carry or do you have a host of other weapons you typically take out to the range?

I have a Taurus 740 and a S&W airweight for carry - and am now debating if the next gun should be another concealable or something full size to practice with?

In the household we also have a Kimber CDP, Glock 21, Glock 19, XDM .40, and a Ruger Security Six .357.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I shoot my three carry guns and my home defense shotgun when I go to the range. Sometimes I take my Beretta 1934 in .380 Auto and my CZ 455 American for some fun.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Generally I'll do the most shooting with what I carry and bring 1-3 other guns to shoot, as a side note I always wear a dedicated "carry gun" while at the range that stays holstered and isn't shot that day, never know if some nut job is going to do something at the range or on the way back to your car.
    surefire7 likes this.

I shoot a variety of guns,I have a shooting friend and I'm not exaggerating when I say he has more guns than most first rate gun shops and has several select fire guns also.We shoot either Saturday or Sunday evening on an indoor closed range.usually start shooting about 7 PM and finish cleaning up about 11 PM.We sound like our own little war zone.We do timed holster drills and even set up possible scenarios with the targets coming at you.Just putting holes in paper can get boring after awhile,so anything you can do to make it more challenging without decreasing safety is good.
    bunker and RockStrongo like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I have a variety. I shoot my carry guns the most, but others as well. Then there are the rifles and shotguns.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

a Sig Custom Shop 1911 Platinum Elite 2Tone, SIG SAUER P220 SAS .45 AUTO Custom Shop, SIG SAUER 1911 RCS Custom Carry .45, and aSig Sauer P229 Super-Match Custom. Sig custom shop, p239 kel tec p 32, 44 mag super red hawk, S&W M&P 40, glock 21, Wilson combat, CQB, Colt 1911, and Seacamp 32 Plus many rifles from 22cal up to 30 cal but getting 50cal soon.

I shoot a wide variety of guns, even ones I don't carry. I put about 4,000 rounds per year down range (down pasture, actually), so I get plenty of practice with my carry guns.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Gosh I shoot 1 gun per range trip. If it's practice for competition,it's the gun for the sport that I'm practicing for, if it's CCW practice it's the carry gun. Now, I do occassionally mix it up, for instance I decided to shoot CDP in IDPA so I'm now practicing with 1911s harder than most guns. But essentially it's one gun per session. I don't bring a whole range bag full of ironmongery.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I have a PM9, a Glock 27, and a brand new 642 snub, all for carry. I have a Benelli 12 gauge with extended magazine, weapon light, and side saddle for the home/neighborhood thing. I wouldn't mind owning more, but it's better to have a few things down really well and know them inside and out then bouncing around, at least goes my thinking.

One of the reasons I've shied away from buying too many guns is because of that, and also, where does it stop? I mean there really aren't a whole lot of guns I wouldn't want to own, at least on some level.

One thing I noticed at my local range is you don't see too many people working with snubs or subcompact autos... I imagine it's because it's just much easier to shoot more manageably sized guns, it's more fun, and also people don't like to look bad at the range, so the little guns that most carry don't come out as much.

On any given range trip I'll shoot my SA XD 40 SC, S&W Airweight, my son's SA 1911, his G19.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I usually just pistol shoot at my local range with carry pistols on my CCW.

Recently, I built an AR. My last 2 trips to the range I didn't pistol shoot at all. I only shot the AR & also an old Marlin .22LR rifle I haven't touched in years.

S&W Sigma 9mm, S&W 22A, and occasionally if I feel like burning some powder I'll pull out the old SKS. Still need to shoot that new Taurus. Might be a good "job" for tomorrow. Gotta make sure it works right?

Generally speaking, it's usually one handgun and one long gun when I go shooting. I hate cleaning more than two guns at a time.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

My range is 1/4 mile from the house on my farm. Shoot rifes , mostly bolt action or single shots, in 30/06,.270, 25/06, 22/250,.45 and .50 muzzleloaders and .22 lr and .22 mag. Pistols include 22 lr, 38 spl., 357 mag, 9mm and 44 mag. I'm set up with targets from 25 to 400 yards. What can I say, I like to shoot. Got a buddy who has his reloading set up in a spare bedroom in his house and he shoots out the window at a 100 yard target when working up loads. It's one of the good things about living in a rural area.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

All depends on the day. SD's always go along. Depending on time or events rifles or trap and skeet guns, if time is available hand me downs (Dad & Grandpa's), we also do some testing of each others.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links