Woman Concealed Carry 40 cal

This is a discussion on Woman Concealed Carry 40 cal within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello I am new here and I am in the process of purchasing a cc gun. I really am thinking of the xd 40 cal ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Woman Concealed Carry 40 cal

Woman Concealed Carry 40 cal

Hello I am new here and I am in the process of purchasing a cc gun. I really am thinking of the xd 40 cal subcompact. Any women carry this? I am worried it will to bulky for my 110 pound 5' 5" body? If any women carry this what is your method? This is my first carry gun but not my first hand gun! Any input is appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I dont know your hand size but my wife loves her Glock 19 and the 23 is the same size in .40. SIG 239 might be a good choice or possibly the Walther PPS. I have not shot the Walther but my wife did and liked it.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Sara, go check this site - lots of good info for women:
    Cornered Cat - Table of Contents

Oh - and welcome!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Sara, go check this site - lots of good info for women:
    Cornered Cat - Table of Contents

Oh - and welcome!
    Yep that is where ya need to ask about female carrying options
    oneshot likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

my wife carries a Glock 27, and has no problem at all in concealment, or recoil.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndo View Post
    I dont know your hand size but my wife loves her Glock 19 and the 23 is the same size in .40. SIG 239 might be a good choice or possibly the Walther PPS. I have not shot the Walther but my wife did and liked it.
    The Walther PPS and the Sig P239 are not in the same league when it comes to size and weight. The P239 is by far the larger gun.

Here is a photo showing a P239 on the left, next to a Walther PPS on the right:

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler11B View Post
    my wife carries a Glock 27, and has no problem at all in concealment, or recoil.

The Glock 27 is indeed a compact gun regarding its height and length, and it is an extremely popular carry choice. But width-wize, it is way wider than a Walther PPS.

Here is a photo with the Glock on the left, compared to a Walther PPS on the right:

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I recommend you look at the Springfield XD40sc, Glock 27, Walther PPS, Smith & Wesson M&P Compact, Heckler & Koch P2000sk and the Kahr PM40. These are all great choices for concealed carry in terms of quality, reliability, size, weight and ergonomics. It all comes down to what adjusts better to your hand size, carry style and personal preferences.

Here's a good video about concealed carry options for women:

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by sara View Post
    Hello I am new here and I am in the process of purchasing a cc gun. I really am thinking of the xd 40 cal subcompact. Any women carry this? I am worried it will to bulky for my 110 pound 5' 5" body? If any women carry this what is your method? This is my first carry gun but not my first hand gun! Any input is appreciated.

I'm a great big old tall fat dude, and I carry what I consider to be the smallest .40 S&W pistol that is still accurate and easy to shoot. The Walther PPS:

It has a striker type trigger system, so it operates just like the Glock and XD pistols do when it comes to shooting them. Main difference is that it has a thinner single stack magazine, which makes the pistol far thinner. The drawback to that, though, is that you have less ammo capacity.

But it still holds 6 + 1 rounds, for a total of 7 in .40 S&W.

Distinguished Member
    When trying out different guns, I not only hold and shoot them but also literally "try" them on with a holster. The smallest bit of width can be a surprisingly big factor when putting a gun on a small frame. I've carried a single stack 239 and a double stack G19 and the glock does add more wardrobe limitations.

Also consider the width of the extra magazine. I can conceal a gun just fine but that extra mag just seems really difficult sometimes. Esp with it is the double stack Glock vs the single 239. And don't forget to make room for a light!

Having said all this, how could you go wrong with the xd, as long as you commit to wardrobe parameters that allow effective cc? They are fantastic guns - accurate, user friendly, lots of holsters available, large capacity. You will just need to buy some new clothes to accomodate it - how bad can that be?

The peace of mind you will get from carrying the xd 40 will add a glow that no makeup can provide.

The thing about a 40 is the recoil in a small gun is quite differentr than in a 9mm. The single stack 40s expecially in polymer can be quite a shock for somebody like me 6'3" 285, and I carry a G23 EDC. A lady may especially not like the sharp perceived recoil to the hand. You really owe it to your self to shoot some of the contenders, before you buy.

Also checkout limatunes posts here she carries everything from big ol 1911s to a double stack G19 and she is a tiny petite lil thing. She also has some good instructional videos on Youtube, under Limalife.

Now in regards to your gun recommendation...I personally thing that balance (ratio of barrel weight to grip etc) is very important in a CCW. The XD IMHO has very poor balance. If I were to buy a small sub compact 40 I would have to look towards the G27, p239, and possibly the M&P 40c, and Kahr K40 Go to the LGS and handle the guns not just one at a time but one in each hand and point them one handed with your strong and weak hand. In the single stack arena and polymer, it would be the Walther PPS and Kahr P40 or CW40.

ETA: also forgot to mention the CZ line of handguns...their Rami line would be worth a looks and is very affordable.
    Last edited by jwhite75; April 3rd, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Lot's of good advice. Based on your OP I'd emphasize to be sure and take a close look at the PPS .40
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Walther PPS is good. I'm putting in a vote for the Kahr PM40 or CW40 tho. It's worth looking at all your options.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sara View Post
    The most important parts of self defense with a handgun are: 1) to have it with you at all times and 2) to be able to hit what you shoot at. So my advise is to carry what you shoot the best and can conceal well enough that you have it with you all the time. I doubt that will be an XD .40 subcompact, as good a gun and cartridge as it is, it's not going to be very concealable on your frame.

If you are willing to carry a 9mm, look at the PF9, LC9, and the Kahr 9mms - they are significantly thinner and a bunch easier to conceal on a frame your size than the much thicker double stacks double stacks like the XD and Glock. The faliaphotography video linked above is excellent. My niece watched that and immediately bought an LCP. She knows she can always hide that gun. She will spend the summer shooting her Dad's Glock 26, my LC9 and Glock 19 while considering what she might get to carry when the season calls for clothes that conceal a bigger gun. She's a jock, 4 years of HS and college basketball. She has good combat accuracy with a 9mm (G26 or G19) loaded with 115g COR-BON DPX.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Like shoes, try them on first

You want a gun that fits your hand in a caliber you can control. You will need to handle them for yourself, but will probably eliminate all the double stacks including those with interchangeable back straps. FWIW the baby GLOCK and XD are quite snappy in .40 and very susceptible to malfunctions with slightest amount of limp-wristing.

Align the gun with your forearm and check trigger reach. For a single action you need enough trigger finger to reach the center of the pad of the first joint. For a traditional double action you need enough trigger finger to reach the outside edge of the trigger with the crease of the first joint (power crease) in order to have enough leverage to pull it.

As a suggestion, handle/shoot a Kahr K-9. It is a single stack all steel 9mm and has surprisingly soft recoil, is small and light enough to carry well but still shoots well.

Now, if after shooting a couple of boxes of ammo in a double stack .40 you are doing well with it - more power to ya!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links