Shooting a Glock ! - Page 2

Shooting a Glock !

This is a discussion on Shooting a Glock ! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Stetson There's a site for free targets on the net the address I can't remember as I was having a problem of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting a Glock !

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    There's a site for free targets on the net the address I can't remember as I was having a problem of all off my hits at 6-9 o'clock.This target would tell
    you what you were doing just by were your hit were lading on the target. i'll find the site again and let you know weather getting nice and it time to
    get ready to shoot some.
    Thanks I appreciate all the help I can get .
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

I don't think I was high enough on the grip and must have not been 100 % on the left hand .
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

When I got my Glock I was all over the paper. You have some good advice in the above posts. One thing that helped me get used to the Glock trigger was letting the trigger reset all the way, instead of the tiny amount it takes the trigger to actually reset. I get a lot of flesh on the gun when I'm shooting; two hands, both thumbs forward against the frame just under the slide.

The first few months I had this gun I was pretty discouraged. I almost traded it off, but now I'm glad I stuck with it. After I learned the trigger and went through about a thousand rounds I shoot nicer, tighter groups. A year later and I can shoot nice tight groups pretty quickly. Great gun, give yourself a little time. Shoot it enough and the grip angle everyone likes to complain about will feel natural; I find it points very well and is easy to get back on target. Good luck and have fun.

Hang in there, once you learn it, youll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    so I have to conclude its my grip will try to change up at next range visit but any advise on grip style on the glock?
    Grip it in your right hand as high and tight as you can. Let your right thumb wrap tightly around the body parallel and just below the slide. Now take your left hand and place it into the empty zone that is left over from your right hand; it should fit perfectly, with your left thumb also parallel to the slide, just below and forward of your right thumb. This allows your left two thumbs to balance out the pressure of your right trigger finger, giving excellent stability. I highly recommend this grip! Note: do not wrap your right thumb over your left thumb as you get worse stability and you risk slide bite. Hope that works for you
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

If your hitting left of zero you need to put more finger into the trigger.
    I hear so many different theories on trigger control but it basically comes down to pulling the trigger straight back. If your shooting off the tip of your finger your going to push the muzzle left,if your finger is into the trigger to much your going to pull your muzzle right, it's not the same for every gun. I primarily shoot a 1911 and shoot off the pad of my finger tip to get a straight pull. When I shoot my M&P or a Glock I'm closer to my first knuckle joint. Low hits usually come from anticipatory flinch which happens to almost everyone when they're getting a custom to a new gun.

This condition is so common that it needs a name. "Low/left-itis" or something. The trigger finger is the issue (probably), so rotate your strong hand around just a tidge more and get about another 1/8" of finger into the trigger. It should be just short of the first joint on a GLOCK. Next, loosen up the strong hand pinky finger. It should be virtually relaxed on the gun. Tightenting it will cause sympathetic tightness in your trigger finger.

So--give it another nudge of trigger finger and loosen up the pinky. This should solve your problem (it's NOT the God-blessed grip angle, which is the best feature of the GLOCK).

G'luck and drop me a pm to let me know if it works or not.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member
    I also enjoyed the Utube video, thanks.

Good luck with your shooting, Tom.

I keep hearing about the grip angle on a Glock...I don't get it. You hold the pistol to put the sights on alignment with the target. Some grips are a little different, but come on.. a Glock is not so far out of alignment to warrant the bashing it gets. I don't think it's out of " alignment" at all. You have to shoot any firearm that you are going to carry enough to know where it's going to hit. If that 22 is hitting low& left, adjust your point of aim. Those sights are drift adjustable and you can get adjustable sights for it. I would highly recommend getting rid of the stock sights to begin with. Plastic sucks
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links