Shooting a Glock !

This is a discussion on Shooting a Glock ! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All Went to my buddies farm to shoot my glock 22 which I bought used but new to me and it is my first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting a Glock !

Shooting a Glock !

Hi All
    Went to my buddies farm to shoot my glock 22 which I bought used but new to me and it is my first glock, also I should say im use to shooting 1911 style pistols but I shoot terrible with the glock even at 7 yards trying to hit a pie plate was almost impossible was shooting way left and low . I shoot so bad that I thought the sights were way off but put a laser bore sighter in and the sights were on the money. so I have to conclude its my grip will try to change up at next range visit but any advise on grip style on the glock?
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

2. Remove Ads

Is that the first time you have shot a .40 S&W ? The recoil is a tad "snappy" as oppossed to the steel frame 1911 and the "push" of the .45 ACP. From your low left shot placement you may be anticipating the recoil and jerking down and left if you are right handed. Just a thought.

The Glock has a larger grip being a double stacked mag and depending on your hand size you may be gripping around the stock to the right and not having the axis of the bore lined up with your forearm. Again just a thought.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

TDL
    How do I get my Pic to show on my profile????

Quote Originally Posted by TDL View Post
    How do I get my Pic to show on my profile????
    Go to My Profile and follow instructions. Welcome to the forum.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    For me it comes down to grip angle and support hand pressure. the 1911 is a natural shooter for most people and the glock not so much. don't give up on it right away I myself had a love hate relationship for a long time but after 500-600 rounds and some trianing It came together for me and now I love my glocks. It started like you said just hoping to keep it on a pie plate then It became I would shoot it very good sometimes and not good others. Now it is like an part of my hand can't miss. Just keep with it.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

1911 triggers or much different than new piece. Next trip out try pushing with strong hand, while pulling back with week hand. I have a tendency to pull down and off to one side myself. That helps me. Practice Practice.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Take a look at this video. I have a feeling your jerking the trigger..Hope this helps.

YouTube - Travis Haley on Handgun Grip
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    Hi All
    Went to my buddies farm to shoot my glock 22 which I bought used but new to me and it is my first glock, also I should say im use to shooting 1911 style pistols but I shoot terrible with the glock even at 7 yards trying to hit a pie plate was almost impossible was shooting way left and low . I shoot so bad that I thought the sights were way off but put a laser bore sighter in and the sights were on the money. so I have to conclude its my grip will try to change up at next range visit but any advise on grip style on the glock?
    Make sure your grip is as high on the backstrap as possible. This will help mitigate felt recoil and that might help with the "flinch" you appear to have developed. YMMV
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Also, force yourself to go back to basics with the trigger pull - slow, even pull, with plenty of concentration. You may feel an urge to "rush" the trigger pull, which can be an indicator that you actually jerk and flinch. Fight that urge. Do this enough times and you'll improve.

I've had to go back to the basics. I hadn't shot my XD in several weeks, and last time, I was doing very poorly. The gun was recoiling way higher and to the right (that's never happened). I was definitely flinching, too. In the last few days, I've been thinking about it, and I believe I've messed up my grip along with flinching.

Your trigger press is probably the reason for you jerking your shots. It might be made worse by a poor grip that inhibits your ability to control recoil. 1911s have a relatively short, light trigger with a clean break when compared to other pistols, and this covers up a lot of issues that people have. Many people think they shoot much better with a 1911, when really it's the great trigger that's allowing them to get away with poor technique.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Hi All
    I agree I need more practice it has been a while since Ive been to the range and my 1911 falls into my hand like riding a bike , also I shoot a lot of 40 SW I have a few smiths in this caliber . I will go back to the basics and keep trying just didn't know if anyone else had similar time with the Glock starting out.. Thanks ALL

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    There's a site for free targets on the net the address I can't remember as I was having a problem of all off my hits at 6-9 o'clock.This target would tell
    you what you were doing just by were your hit were lading on the target. i'll find the site again and let you know weather getting nice and it time to
    get ready to shoot some.

THR

By no means the gospel but it can point you in a possible direction among the many good suggestions already given. Click on THR.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    Make sure your grip is as high on the backstrap as possible. This will help mitigate felt recoil and that might help with the "flinch" you appear to have developed. YMMV
    I don’t think so I’ve been shooting a while, if you have large hands make sure that the web between your thumb and trigger finger is out of the way of the slide. The Glock does not have a large enough beaver tail to keep that web out of the way and you will get bit. I love my Glocks but this does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Take a look at this video. I have a feeling your jerking the trigger..Hope this helps.

YouTube - Travis Haley on Handgun Grip
    Great video I can picture in my mind what I think I did wrong will give another report when I get back to the range !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links