Taurus PT740

This is a discussion on Taurus PT740 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went with my buddy to his farm shooting this afternoon and he had a new gun. The Taurus PT740. I've had a 709 for ...

Thread: Taurus PT740

Taurus PT740

I went with my buddy to his farm shooting this afternoon and he had a new gun. The Taurus PT740. I've had a 709 for a couple years and it has been flawless. I happened to have it with me today, my Bersa Thunder 9, and my S&W 442 (as well as my Remington Fieldmaster pump .22 rifle). No surprises with any of my guns, although it was interesting shooting while on crutches. I'm glad I got to practice that.

I did get to shoot the PT740 and compare it to my 709 and I was thoroughly impressed with it. It is 6+1 compared to the 9mm being 7+1. It handled the round very well. I really couldn't tell any difference in recoil between his .40 and my 9mm. It handled recoil very well and was very accurate at 10 and 15 yards. It didn't seem to have as much muzzle flip as my XD40sc for some reason. I was expecting it to be brutal, and it was actually a pleasure and fun to shoot.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

los
    I'm surprised that you report felt recoil was about the same between the two PTs. All the 40s I've shot (Glock-Kahr-S&W) have significantly more snap and felt recoil than their 9mm counterpart.

Maybe there's something about the recoil spring design in the PT740 that kept it tamable..? Were y'all shooting reloads..?

Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you have a swift and painless recovery.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Hey Bug, didn't take you long to get back in the game! Welcome back, but don't push it too hard.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I hope that you have a speedy recovery! I have tried .40 S&W caliber handguns and for me anyways the recoil was a bit much. I may have to try a Taurus PT740 sometime, perhaps rent one at a range. I have also heard that the Springfield EMP .40 has about the same felt recoil as the EMP 9mm, being the .40 has a steel frame and the 9mm has an alloy one. I don't have a .40 S&W pistol - yet.
    God bless our troops!

We were shooting factory FMJ rounds. The 9mm was 115gr Federal and I believe the .40 rounds were 165gr Federal FMJ (they were my buddy's rounds, so I'm not absolutely sure).

I was fully expecting a brutal felt recoil with a ton of muzzle flip and was pleasantly surprised. I kept switching back and forth between his and mine because I couldn't believe how smooth it was for a .40. The 709 isn't near as bad as other small 9mm I've shot, but it gets your attention if you are recoil sensitive. It didn't seem to have as much recoil as my XD40sc. I'm not sure how they accomplished this feat, but its pretty cool.

I already have the 9 version, and I have a XD40sc that I shoot VERY well. I'm not sure if I will add one of these to my collection or not. I definitely will NOT replace my XD40sc. I may consider selling the 709 and getting a 740, but I like my 709 a lot. You do give up one round in the .40 with 6+1 rather than 7+1 in the 9mm. I have enough confidence in either round and my abilities to be comfortable carrying either one.

This is a very nice carry piece. I go shooting with this guy a lot, so I'm sure I'll be shooting it a lot and I'll continue to get updates from him on the performance of the gun. I advised him to put several mags of his carry ammo through it and to clean it often, but not over-lube.

Next time I go out with him, I'll take my XD40sc and several different .40 rounds and do some comparison tests with various rounds. I must say that the 740 has gotten my attention. It has the same trigger as my 709, which I like. Long initial take up with NO resistance, so I just take it up to that point and then a light crisp break with a very short reset. Multiple shots on target are very easy with it.

Nice report. I have always wanted to try out the PT740. I too have a Taurus PT709 and have over 3300+ problem free rounds through mine with the same stock recoil spring assembly. To me my PT709 shoots very soft for a 9mm and if you are saying that the PT740 is almost like that, I may have to try one out if I can find one to rent. God Bless

I could tell no discernable difference in shooting my 709 and his 740...and that is switching back and forth between the two guns. You should definitely give one a try.

I have the 740 as well and although I'm still getting used to it I really like it and am glad to have it as my carry gun.

ETA: now if Taurus will just hurry up with the shipping of the spare mags....

Come on guys, are you telling me that the 740 which shoots the 40 cal S&W, has no more recoil that the 709, and they are the same weight gun ?, I'am asking because we just purchased a 740 friday, went to the range yesterday, and my wife and I shot it, and we found the recoil was considerably more than our 709s, not hurtful more, but definatly not a gun that I would want to "ware out at the range"

For me, I could tell no difference in recoil between my 709 and his 740. Perhaps it had to do with the actual rounds we were shooting in each, or the fact that I have very thick hands and wrists and I have never been sensitive to recoil at all. I actually enjoy shooting guns that kick. I shoot hundreds of 158gr .38+P rounds through my S&W Airweight 442 at a time and I put an old small wooden grip on it...and I think it shoots fine. All I know is I sat on the tailgate of my truck shooting a mag through his 740 then a mag through my 709 and I couldn't tell which one I was shooting until I looked at the side. Perhaps the box of ammo my buddy bought was light and low power FMJs...I didn't really pay attention to the box since he had the insert with rounds pulled out of it. I was shooting Federal 115gr non+P FMJs in my 709. Recoil is perceived differently by different folks. I didn't have my XD40sc with me at the time, but I tend to shoot heavy hot rounds in it and I felt like his 740 had less muzzle flip than my XD. That is probably a difference in rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketgeezer View Post
    Come on guys, are you telling me that the 740 which shoots the 40 cal S&W, has no more recoil that the 709, and they are the same weight gun ?, I'am asking because we just purchased a 740 friday, went to the range yesterday, and my wife and I shot it, and we found the recoil was considerably more than our 709s, not hurtful more, but definatly not a gun that I would want to "ware out at the range"
    Notwithstanding the recoil comparison to the 709, what are your initial thoughts on the PT740? Did you experience any issues at the range? Try different ammo? I'm just curious because it is on my want list at the moment. I'm also interested in a carryable .45ACP that is not a 1911 or single action.

Bugdude you might like the pt145 10+1 in a small dao. I love the way this gun feels and recoil is mild for a 45. I have not had any problems at all and really like how easy it carry's. Rubicon

I've held one as well as the short barrel 24/7 in .45. Nice carry packages for sure.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    It is nice to see a positive range report for Taurus once in a while. I have the chance right now to buy a Taurus 709 for $225 but I'm trying really hard to watch my funds.

I bought my 709 stainless slide model for $369 new a couple years ago...the price of them in my area today is between $400 - $440. For that price, you can't really go wrong.

Links