American Classic 1911

American Classic 1911

This is a discussion on American Classic 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know I'm probably goig to get flamed for asking this question,but here goes. Does anyone know anything baout The American Classic 1911 from Eagle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Classic 1911

American Classic 1911

I know I'm probably goig to get flamed for asking this question,but here goes. Does anyone know anything baout The American Classic 1911 from Eagle Imports? I looked at one the other day at the local gun shop and liked what I saw, the guy behind the counter stated he had one and loved it. The price was reasonable at $459, but i just don't know enough about them. I would love to have a Kimber but I don't have a grand + to drop on a new weapon. Any info will be apprieciated.

JD
    Administrator
    They seem to be getting good reviews and don't look to shabby but only time will tell. Eagle imports used to import Llama 1911s and they were....not the greatest so I'm a little skeptical.

Around the same price you may also want to check out ATI 1911s or Rock Island Armory. These two are also made in the Philippines. They are all in the $400-$550 range.

Imo the ATI look the nicest, followed by the American Classic and then the Rock Islands.

From what I can gather, Rock Island probably is the highest quality of the three with the best customer service.

I would by the Rock.

I have one of the AC II's and it is a very nice gun. Shoots anything I run through it. Very reliable.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

As mentioned I'd try to find a Rock Island 1911 if you are in the market for a budget 1911. I have 2 of them and have had zero issues. But if you do? They come with a lifetime warranty and have excellent customer service.

Agree with ksblazer on the Rocks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not...." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Here is a Gunblast writeup and test of one.
    Very compelling. Firestorm and American Classic II Government Deluxe Model 1911 .45 ACP Auto Pistol

From Gunblast:
    Accuracy was excellent with a couple of the loads tested, and very good with most others, depending upon the job at hand. With a couple of the loads, accuracy was good enough for hunting and competition, and all the other loads tested displayed good combat accuracy, and would work well to resolve most social conflicts. The 200 grain Cor-Bon JHP has exhibited superb accuracy in a few of my 1911 pistols, and was the winner in this Firestorm as well, clustering five shots into only one and one-quarter inches at twenty-five yards, and it did this repeatedly. Running out of this five inch gun at almost 1100 fps is also impressive performance. With that kind of velocity and match-grade accuracy, that load would be my choice in this pistol for deer hunting, and is an excellent combat choice as well.

If I were going to get a 1911 itch, this would probably be the scratch.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

I've been seeing a few of the American Classics in the gun stores where the Rock Islands used to be. They look decent enough. If they perform well I wouldn't mind having one as a carry/shooter.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

gtv
    I have an American Classic II in hard chrome, and love it. Before I decided to buy it, I had my sights set on a Rock Island, but after comparing to two, I went with the ACII. The slide to frame fit seemed better on the ACII, and the trigger is much better than on the RIA. And that is saying something, since the Rock Island guns are great guns for the price, too.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

I just looked at this American Classic Commander in Academy Sports last Tuesday and it looked great.

American Classic Commander 1911 .45 ACP 4.25 Inch Barrel Deep BL

Iver Johnson also makes a nice lower end 1911.

Bwprestr,

I bought my first 1911 about 6 month ago, an American Classic "Commander." After nearly 300 rounds of hardball, it's doing just fine. Also has handled JHP's and SWC handloads well. I'm very pleased. Fit is tight. Blued finish is dark and nice. At the time I got the AC, I was also considering a RIA. Nothing against the RIA, but even though the AC was only $25 more expensive, the AC had better sights (Novak style vs. GI low profile), nicer finish (blued vs Parkerized) and a few other features not on the RIA (extended slide stop, oversize safety, combat hammer combat trigger). The AC is now one of my EDC guns. My out the door cost was about $450. I'd make the same purchase again if given the choice.

A few weeks ago I bought a Citadel "Concealed Carry" (Officer's frame). I've only put about 75 rounds through it, but it's also doing very well. The Citadel is made by the same manufacturer, Armscor, that makes RIA. I think I'm really going to like the Citadel, as well, but I'm having a hard time warming up to it's Parkerized finish... The Citadel was on sale at "Gun Genie" when I bought it. Final price was about $475.

From my experience, I think you'd do well with either an AC or RIA/Citadel. I have no experience w/ ATI, although I also price checked them. Armscor and AC both seem to have a good reputation for customer service. I'd go w/ whichever one has the specs you want at the best price. Sure, neither are as refined as a Kimber, but they appear to be solid guns that should serve you well.

I have this same gun, love it! Never any problems, shoots great and adheres real close to "standard" specs which makes fitting options very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    I just looked at this American Classic Commander in Academy Sports last Tuesday and it looked great.

American Classic Commander 1911 .45 ACP 4.25 Inch Barrel Deep BL
    There is much more info here:
    http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87
    Last edited by dV8r; April 9th, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

I have only seen 1 bad review and that was on the commander. The guy was a dealer and had never fired it. My AC II Deluxe has always been flawless.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

I have read on another forum that some folks were having magazine problems or not wanting to feed properly. Some tried different brand mags and still had the problem and had to send the pistol in for repair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links