Defensive Carry banner

Which subcompact or pocket pistol to buy?

• Ruger LCP

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • Kahr CM9

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • Kahr p380

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • NAA mini revolver Black Widow

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Keltec P3AT

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Keltec P32

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Taurus TCP

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other please list

Votes: 27 28.1%

Help choose a new subcompact pistol.

9K views 38 replies 31 participants last post by  Ky Bob 
#1 ·
I typically rotate between a Glock 19, 1911, and a S&W 642. To be honest fell that the 642 is the most comfortable to carry.

I am in the market for another carry pistol to act as a BUG and a sometimes a primary.

I am open to suggestions as long as they are below $500.

My main concern is reliability, followed by price, and then ammo price. Stopping power is not a concern with me.

I want something I can pocket carry most of the time and sometimes carry IWB.

#2 ·
I chose the SA XD40 SC, and love it. Good luck with your search!

#5 ·
I'm confused as to why you are seeking a pocket pistol/BUG when you already have a 642 that you are comfortable with?

#6 ·
I voted "Other" but then saw your reply to the suggestion for a SA XD SC 40. I love my XD SC 9. If you like Glock, the G 26/27 is the same size.

If you're looking for something smaller, I like the Khar models. Single stack so they are thinner, but you can still get either a 9mm or a 40, your preference.

#9 ·
Here's a question for everyone. I am leaning towards a 380acp since I don't own anything in the caliber and the size factor. 9mm is cheaper and has better stopping power.

So my question is, what is the recoil difference between say a small single stack 9mm such as Kahr PM9/CM9/Ruger LC9 vs Kahr P380/Ruger LCP?

I know if the gun was identical accept for caliber, the 9mm will have more recoil but since there is a slight size and weight difference, I wonder if the recoil is about the same.

Only 380 I shot was a Sig P238 which shot nicely without a whole lot of recoil.

#10 ·
My initial choice was the LCP, which I still believe is a great little gun (once I got it back from Ruger).

When I was going through the break in period I'd have about 1/20 being a failure, mostly ejection issues. That was not acceptable to me, so I called Ruger and they took care of it - 100's of rounds later and not one problem at all.

That said, I wanted more power in my pocket and one less size ammo to keep on inventory so this weekend I went and purchased a Kahr PM9 and ran it through the break in yesterday without a single problem - I love this gun so far.

If the CM9 is anything like it (and it should be) that would be my choice without a doubt. My PM9 fits in the same Blackhawk size 03 I had my LCP in, and comfortable in my jeans or dress pants pockets.

I won't vote for the CM9 just yet because it's too new - but if I had to choose right now, and out of those guns - the CM9 would be my pick based on my recent experience.

Edit:
As far as your recoil question, I could shoot my new PM9 all day long - the LCP left my hands sore after 200 rounds. LCP is definitely not a range gun, it's snappy as can be but still fun to shoot for short periods.

#11 ·
I voted for the LCP. It is sooo easy to pocket carry. You may also want to consider the LC9 which I pocket carry easily.

#13 ·
I voted for the CM9 even though it is untested. I have a PM9 which is awesome so that is my thinking. My only confusion is that I consider a sub compact a H&K P2000sk (mine), a SA XDC, or Glock 27 type. A sub compact and pocket pistol are different animals, at least for me.

#14 ·
As a new CCW, I'm carring a Walther PPS 9mm as it fits almost anything I wear. Here in Lost Wages with the temp. between 70°f and 120°f 9 months out of the year, concealing in shorts and light weight wear is always a problem. One nice thing is my neon white legs blinds the bad guys which gives me an advantage. :image035:

#16 ·
Taurus PT740. I shot my buddy's yesterday and I love it. I have the 709 and the 740 has the same recoil and is small. Upon hours of research, I've come across NO issues at all with the 740. I have the XD40sc and the PT740 is considerably smaller...and feels to me to have less recoil. Great shooter and carrier.

#21 ·
Already own and carry 642 which I love.

I voted "Other". IMO, you should also consider an HKP2000 SK and a Walther PPS.
I never checked out the HKP2000 SK so I will. The Walther PPS is nice and thin but is on the large side of what I am looking for but it is still a good amount thinner than my G19.

Both available in service calibers -- 9mm, .40 S&W.

Good luck!

#22 ·
CM9. I have the PM9 and it is the best balance of power and concealability I have found outside a Rohrbach. The differences will be negligible between the CM9 and the PM9 for your purposes, and you will not believe how thin the thing is.

#26 ·
Already own and carry 642 which I love.

That's why I suggested it !!!!!!

There are days I carry two compact Glocks because I know them and love them. If it ain't broke no need to try and fix it.:yup:

Now if you just want something new and different then good on ya !

#29 ·
springer xd sc 9...

#30 ·
My Bersa Thunder Plus .380 with the 15 round mag is a fine EDC for me. It can easily be worn IWB, OWB or in the pocket. It is very reasonably priced, comes highly recommended on the various websites and has a lifetime guarantee for the original owner. You can hardly go wrong with this brand.:danceban:
Philly Boy in Cincinnati.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.