Help choose a new subcompact pistol.

This is a discussion on Help choose a new subcompact pistol. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I typically rotate between a Glock 19, 1911, and a S&W 642. To be honest fell that the 642 is the most comfortable to carry. ...

View Poll Results: Which subcompact or pocket pistol to buy?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger LCP

26 27.08%
  • Kahr CM9

26 27.08%
  • Kahr p380

6 6.25%
  • NAA mini revolver Black Widow

2 2.08%
  • Keltec P3AT

6 6.25%
  • Keltec P32

1 1.04%
  • Taurus TCP

2 2.08%
  • Other please list

27 28.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help choose a new subcompact pistol.

Help choose a new subcompact pistol.

I typically rotate between a Glock 19, 1911, and a S&W 642. To be honest fell that the 642 is the most comfortable to carry.

I am in the market for another carry pistol to act as a BUG and a sometimes a primary.

I am open to suggestions as long as they are below $500.

My main concern is reliability, followed by price, and then ammo price. Stopping power is not a concern with me.

I want something I can pocket carry most of the time and sometimes carry IWB.

2. Remove Ads

I chose the SA XD40 SC, and love it. Good luck with your search!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I chose the SA XD40 SC, and love it. Good luck with your search!
    SA XD40SC is a great pistol at an affordable price. I am looking for something a bit smaller.

I guess I need a pocket pistol or a sub-sub-compact.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I voted for the LCP, but recently purchased an LC9. The LC9 is now my main carry. Mostly in my cargo shorts pocket.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I'm confused as to why you are seeking a pocket pistol/BUG when you already have a 642 that you are comfortable with?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I voted "Other" but then saw your reply to the suggestion for a SA XD SC 40. I love my XD SC 9. If you like Glock, the G 26/27 is the same size.

If you're looking for something smaller, I like the Khar models. Single stack so they are thinner, but you can still get either a 9mm or a 40, your preference.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

for me this is a easy pick,the Ruger lcp..you can't get any better for pocket carry..i have close to 300rds through mine,no failures of any kind.paid $299.00

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I'm confused as to why you are seeking a pocket pistol/BUG when you already have a 642 that you are comfortable with?
    Good question. To tell you the truth, I don't know. My acquiring new gun addiction is kicking in. Since I love the 642, I was thinking something in that size range is good to get.

Here's a question for everyone. I am leaning towards a 380acp since I don't own anything in the caliber and the size factor. 9mm is cheaper and has better stopping power.

So my question is, what is the recoil difference between say a small single stack 9mm such as Kahr PM9/CM9/Ruger LC9 vs Kahr P380/Ruger LCP?

I know if the gun was identical accept for caliber, the 9mm will have more recoil but since there is a slight size and weight difference, I wonder if the recoil is about the same.

Only 380 I shot was a Sig P238 which shot nicely without a whole lot of recoil.

My initial choice was the LCP, which I still believe is a great little gun (once I got it back from Ruger).

When I was going through the break in period I'd have about 1/20 being a failure, mostly ejection issues. That was not acceptable to me, so I called Ruger and they took care of it - 100's of rounds later and not one problem at all.

That said, I wanted more power in my pocket and one less size ammo to keep on inventory so this weekend I went and purchased a Kahr PM9 and ran it through the break in yesterday without a single problem - I love this gun so far.

If the CM9 is anything like it (and it should be) that would be my choice without a doubt. My PM9 fits in the same Blackhawk size 03 I had my LCP in, and comfortable in my jeans or dress pants pockets.

I won't vote for the CM9 just yet because it's too new - but if I had to choose right now, and out of those guns - the CM9 would be my pick based on my recent experience.

Edit:
    As far as your recoil question, I could shoot my new PM9 all day long - the LCP left my hands sore after 200 rounds. LCP is definitely not a range gun, it's snappy as can be but still fun to shoot for short periods.

I voted for the LCP. It is sooo easy to pocket carry. You may also want to consider the LC9 which I pocket carry easily.

I went with the P3AT as I have trusted mine for over 6 years now.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I voted for the CM9 even though it is untested. I have a PM9 which is awesome so that is my thinking. My only confusion is that I consider a sub compact a H&K P2000sk (mine), a SA XDC, or Glock 27 type. A sub compact and pocket pistol are different animals, at least for me.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    As a new CCW, I'm carring a Walther PPS 9mm as it fits almost anything I wear. Here in Lost Wages with the temp. between 70f and 120f 9 months out of the year, concealing in shorts and light weight wear is always a problem. One nice thing is my neon white legs blinds the bad guys which gives me an advantage.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Ruger LCR in .357 mag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links