Kimber Solo Sig P290 and Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo Sig P290 and Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kahr PM9 here as well, absolutely love it, around 300 rounds of various ammo through it now and it's eating everything I feed it - ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo Sig P290 and Kahr PM9

Kahr PM9 here as well, absolutely love it, around 300 rounds of various ammo through it now and it's eating everything I feed it - 0 problems, fun/comfortable to shoot and easy to conceal and/or pocket carry.
    bps3040 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Ok today on "lunch break" I wanted to see if it fed hollow points. I had federal 124 grain hydroshock ammo loaded in it, just shot eight rounds off. First round center mass point of aim point of impact, really nice...from there it wen't down hill...pow..jam...pow..fail to go into battery..pow..double feed..stow pipe..pow..it sucked. It was like shooting a "sling shot". I'd shoot do an emergency reload(slap,tap rerack)pow! same thing over and over, it got stupid. I will take it now that I'm off and get about two to three hundred rounds of ball ammo through it then see where I'm at then if after the last fifty I don't get a malfunction I'll try hollow points again. If I have problems after that I'll trade it or sell it and stick to my Jframe for back up in the vest gun. The Kahr will be the next purchase if it doesn't work out but I may get the P size vs the PM since it'll be just for off duty iwb CARRY not so much "back up". I kinda think my first instinct is right on with the Kimber Solo or Sig P290 but who wan't to spend 700 on a back up gun when you can get a revolver j frame or even a taurus titanium for half that price that'll go bang when you pull it at point blank ranges? I'll keep yall informed on how the Kel Tec PF9 does after a real test.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Ok Yesterday on day off I shot another fifty rounds out of the Kel Tec PF9...noticed many light strikes on the primers where the gun would not fire and several malfunctions. This gun goes back to dealer tommorow to be sen't back to the factory. The guy I trust swears they are an excellent company with excellent follow up. Sucks...
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

We had a few of each come in to my store. The Kimber Solo Carry is VERY nice in feel and weight and has an external saftey on it if that is something you would perfer. We did send one of the two we have sold back to kimber for repairs (slide would lock back on every shot.) As for the Sig P290 we have those as well and even though I am a HUGE Sig fan this one did not impress me, it is signifigantly heavier than the other two and the mag can be difficult to insert. As a few of you may know by now I am a huge Kahr fan as well (own a 1000 rounds now flawless CW9) the PM9 is an excellet little gun for the money and compared to the others you have asked about imho it is the better of them all. I do agree with the members that are saying wait for the CM9. In my opinion you dont need a polygonal barrel for EDC and the MIM slide release will do just fine. The only tworeal advantages I see between the CM series and the PM series is the extra mag you get in the PM9 and the dovetailed sights (although with the new trijicon sights avalible for the CW and CM series maybe the dovetailing isnt needed.)
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post
    The micro 9's are making a showing and these three it seems are the best of the three. Anyone wan't to elaborate on any experiences with any or all three of these little gems? I think personally for the money I'd go off this group and take a serious look at the Kahr CM9 because of cost. Anyone??

I just did a review of the Ruger LC9 and I think after handling two of the three you mentioned that it is superior in not only quality but reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post
    Ok shot the Kel Tec PF 9 on my lunch break at the hunt club. Only twenty rounds into a board just to see what kind of feel it had, how it performed and what kind of groups it would shoot. The groups were very nice..The trigger though lighter than a Kahr wasn't near as smooth..And the felt recoil due to it being about the slimmest 9mm on the planet was "felt" okay. I like what it is and I love the price but I'm having second thoughts now after already owning a Kahr before and knowing now that it really is not a Kahr no doubt.
    Ahhh... Kel Tec buyers remorse. I've been there once, and never again.

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Absolutely love my PM9... it disappears on my hip in my crossbreed mini-tuck yet handles +P loads smoothly. I've put around 400 rounds thru it so far and haven't had any problems at all. I did have to learn how to rack the slide on it as Kahr says to load first round from slide lock... if you are gentle with a slide rack to load first round it can be finicky but if you do what they say and load first round from slide lock it works just fine. Once I learned to be a bit more manly with racking it I can load first round without using the slide lock just fine.

My other carry weapons are a G19 and a P3AT but I love the PM9 the best.
    I love my PM 9 too, I ran 100 rounds of FMJ through it and then started trying different HP ammo through it and it has been flawless so far through about 400 rounds also, even tried limp wristing it on several occasions and it has been 100% reliable and now is my EDC which rides around my front pocket in a DeSantis Nemisis holster.

My other Carry weapons are a G26 and a 642 snubbie but I have been carrying the PM9 95% of the time every since I went through the break in period and felt it was reliable enough to carry.

Also tried a Kel Tec P11 before this and the slide stop tab broke off at around 125 rounds and jammed the gun up so it was useless until I took a screwdriver and pried the broken piece out from between the frame and slide which destroyed any confidence I may have had in the gun which to me made it unacceptable for a carry gun.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I have tried many of the micro pistols. I finally settled on the Rohrbaugh in 9mm. I have shot it quite a bit and have yet to have a malfunction. It is a great pistol!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

That new Kimber does look mighty nice.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Don't have the PM9, but I do have the PM40 and a CW9. Both are awesome pistols. I carry the 40 along with my LCR and feel my wanting for the small, but effective caliber carry guns is complete.

I like the LC9 and may add one down the road as well as the CM9. The Kimber looks intriguing, but it's also one of the ones I'd like to see a track record on before I drop the $600 + on it. The one Kimber I have is a keeper, but mainly a range gun and a home defense pistol, just to heavy for everyday carry for my taste.

Outa all that you've mentioned I say the PM9 would serve you well and I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. The elite trigger on the Kahrs is a huge plus on a DAO semi auto. JMO, YMMV
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by chalk316 View Post
    .......... In my opinion you dont need a polygonal barrel for EDC and the MIM slide release will do just fine. The only two real advantages I see between the CM series and the PM series is the extra mag you get in the PM9 and the dovetailed sights (although with the new trijicon sights avalible for the CW and CM series maybe the dovetailing isnt needed.)
    RE: Kahr PM vs CM - Not sure why you believe a barrel with "polygonal rifling is not needed for EDC." It is known that polygonal rifling increases velocity, range and barrel life. These are pocket-size short barrel (3") pistols. Because a shorter barrel clearly reduces velocity, I prefer the increased velocity/range benefit of polygonal rifling. In comparison tests, the Kahr PM9 (3" barrel) produced bullet velocities (fps) almost equivalent to the Kahr CW9 (3.6" barrel).

As a small self-defense weapon with limited round capacity (6+1), I don't think it is wise to sacrifice any stopping power just to save a few bucks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
    If guns cause crimes, then all my guns must be defective.

Like I said it was my opinion. I dont know about you but I will not be the guy that stands in front of any barrel and say shoot me. I have full confidance that a 3 inch conventinal barrel will still stop the threat as well as a 3 inch polygonal barrel. That is why I said its not NEEDED if someone wants the extra velocity they have the option to step up to the PM9. Yes the bullet does have more velocity. Yes the barrel lasts longer. All that aside $200.00 is ALOT of money for some people. Your points are 100% valid but for the money I still think that a CM9 is an excellent choice.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Very little difference!

I know that this thread has not been active for a while, but I just came across this, so here is my review of the Solo and the PM9.
    Both of these little 9's have virtually the same feel, both for size and for shootability. I have had the PM9 for over a year now, and have put probably 1000 rounds through it. It shoots very well and since I have attached a "clip draw" to the slide, it has become my carry gun of choice. I was able to get the Solo early spring of this year, and have put probably 500 rounds through it. I carried it through the summer in a tuckable holster, and sometime forgot I was carrying. Honestly, both of these weapons have performed flawlessly for me. The PM9 didn't like HP ammunition at first, however after the break in period in which I fed many +P loads, it is smooth as silk. The only issue I have with the Solo is the fact that I have to retain the slide back, insert the magazine, and release the slide in order to chamber a load. Feeding the magazine first and then attempting to chamber a load is not possible. It has been smooth as silk since day 1.
    The PM9 cost a little more than the Solo, but the Kahr is very much worth the money, especially if you are not able to get your hands on the Solo.
    Both seem to be as accurate as the other, both hold the same amount of 9mm rounds, and they are of the same size. I promise you that you cannot go wrong with either of these as a great carry weapon.
    sensei2 likes this.

I have handled a SIG 290 ( didn't like the feel) , shot a Kahr PM9 (nice, but trigger not so good) but own the Kimber Solo.
    I have now put close to 300 rounds through my Solo (including WWB 115gr.) without a single malfunction of any kind. The craftsmanship is superb and so is the trigger which is why I chose it over the Kahr.

Just got my cm9 today for $420.00 can't wait to get to the range Saturday to try it out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links