Kimber Solo Sig P290 and Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo Sig P290 and Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The micro 9's are making a showing and these three it seems are the best of the three. Anyone wan't to elaborate on any experiences ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo Sig P290 and Kahr PM9

Kimber Solo Sig P290 and Kahr PM9

The micro 9's are making a showing and these three it seems are the best of the three. Anyone wan't to elaborate on any experiences with any or all three of these little gems? I think personally for the money I'd go off this group and take a serious look at the Kahr CM9 because of cost. Anyone??
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

2. Remove Ads

I don't have any personal experience with those three pistols but I do with the Ruger LC9 which you may want to consider as well.

Don't forget the Diamond Back DB9. I actually held a SOLO at Shoot Straight in Tampa, Fl. Not a bad looking gun, a little on the heavy side, and I'd seen a possible issue with the recoil spring hitting the frame and stripping it of the finish. Trigger was awesome though! But the real downfall for me is the safety.

I'm considering the DB9 or the P290. I know the 290 seems to be a little heavy, and I would also like to see some range reports of it before I jump on it.
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

I bought the PM9 about a month ago and have put about 450-500 rounds through it. Not one malfunction, easy to shoot, smooth trigger, and easy for IWB conceal. (I use a SmartCarry holster)

I also carry a G36, when I can. But it is no where as comfortable as the PM9. I compared my PM9 to a CW9 at my local gun shop, and the PM9 is a bit smaller.
    Tom

"A free people ought... to be armed... "
    George Washington, 1790

NRA Endowment Member, CCRKBA Life Member, JPFO Life Member, GOA Life Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation Life Member

The PM9 is really the only available one right now. The Solo is extremely difficult to impossible to find, and the P290 hasn't started shipping yet unless I've missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Don't forget the Diamond Back DB9. I actually held a SOLO at Shoot Straight in Tampa, Fl. Not a bad looking gun, a little on the heavy side, and I'd seen a possible issue with the recoil spring hitting the frame and stripping it of the finish. Trigger was awesome though! But the real downfall for me is the safety.

I'm considering the DB9 or the P290. I know the 290 seems to be a little heavy, and I would also like to see some range reports of it before I jump on it.
    I would like to get my hands on a DB9.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think the Ruger LC9 should be included in your list as well.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Absolutely love my PM9... it disappears on my hip in my crossbreed mini-tuck yet handles +P loads smoothly. I've put around 400 rounds thru it so far and haven't had any problems at all. I did have to learn how to rack the slide on it as Kahr says to load first round from slide lock... if you are gentle with a slide rack to load first round it can be finicky but if you do what they say and load first round from slide lock it works just fine. Once I learned to be a bit more manly with racking it I can load first round without using the slide lock just fine.

My other carry weapons are a G19 and a P3AT but I love the PM9 the best.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

I actually have to back up and punt now because like you guys said in here you can't get your hands on the Solo or the P290 yet and truthfully it's probably better to wait and give them a year to work out the kinks first..I put my hand's on two other micro nine's today and was in disbelief at how well the Kel Tec PF9 felt and the trigger was way better than the Ruger LC9 and about seventy to eighty bucks cheaper in price.. I had a choice to trade in one of my guns today and get the Kahr PM 9 new for $630 or a used PM40 for $449 I split the difference and kept my trade in and paid less than $300 and got the Kel Tec PF9..Ive read a bunch of positive things about this little 9mm and I will let you guys know how well it shoots next time I'm off..If I don't like it I can always trade it in down the road for another Kahr or a Kimber Solo..
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

The Kahr CM9 should be out now or soon. It's another alternative to think about.

A Kahr PM9 replaced my G27...no regrets.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

The KT is muy ugly, but it works

CM9 is out

Ok shot the Kel Tec PF 9 on my lunch break at the hunt club. Only twenty rounds into a board just to see what kind of feel it had, how it performed and what kind of groups it would shoot. The groups were very nice..The trigger though lighter than a Kahr wasn't near as smooth..And the felt recoil due to it being about the slimmest 9mm on the planet was "felt" okay. I like what it is and I love the price but I'm having second thoughts now after already owning a Kahr before and knowing now that it really is not a Kahr no doubt.

cm9 is out but like the solo not readily avalible. I just picked up a pm9 cause i want it now not next year. Plus I don't want a plastic front site I have to send in to replace.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post
    ...I think personally for the money I'd go off this group and take a serious look at the Kahr CM9 because of cost. Anyone??
    I'm with you on this one! I currently have a CW45, but want something a bit smaller for less obtrusive carry, (although the CW45 is very concealable for a .45). I have coveted a PM9 for months, but couldn't really see my way clear to spending the bucks they want for it. When I saw the release of the CM9, I was instantly sold - There's THE gun!

Soon as I can get my hands on one at a decent price, it'll be mine. I'm thinking I should be able to find one for around $450 before too long.

Regards,
    Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links