9mm "tiny" for Woman Carry Input Please

This is a discussion on 9mm "tiny" for Woman Carry Input Please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just posted about any potential 40 cal cc semi auto pistols for a woman. I attached this post to the end of my womans ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 9mm "tiny" for Woman Carry Input Please

9mm "tiny" for Woman Carry Input Please

I just posted about any potential 40 cal cc semi auto pistols for a woman. I attached this post to the end of my womans cc 40 cal posting but figured i would post it again.

Thanks All.

I went and held some more guns with my bf yesterday and I am really thinking of a sub compact 9mm for my concealed, due to my size and stature I am worried about being able to conceal a 40 cal with everyday wear for me especially summer. I would love a list of pros and cons of every 9mm super compact. Like the Lc9 pf9 pm9 p290 etc. I am looking for something that has a manual safety because i am unsure of the da without a manual thumb safety. Would love any personal use input to get through this long search. And would love to hear from any women carrying these micro 9mm

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Taurus 709 has a manual safety and falls into that category. Also, recoil isn't bad at all.

On the other hand, it's a Taurus.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I actually saw that taurus and the taurus mil pro. I have been advised not to carry a taurus i really like the slim and mil in my hand but am worried about it not being able to fuction properly if needed.

The PM9 is available with a thumb safety. It is model PM9193.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I carry a PM9, it's one of the smallest and lightest. Long double action revolver type trigger but one of the smoothest made. This is an expensive gun, but everything about it is quality. Accuracy is fantastic. I did a defensive pistol class recently and out of about fifteen people I was the only one with a subcompact. We did a drill where we shot at a target, and kept moving back two paces, with people dropping out as they missed. They let us go back until only two people were left standing. Each time I was one of the 2, with this micro gun.

I'm also small and my concealment needs are pretty high. This works for me.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by red13 View Post
    I carry a PM9, it's one of the smallest and lightest. Long double action revolver type trigger but one of the smoothest made. This is an expensive gun, but everything about it is quality. Accuracy is fantastic. I did a defensive pistol class recently and out of about fifteen people I was the only one with a subcompact. We did a drill where we shot at a target, and kept moving back two paces, with people dropping out as they missed. They let us go back until only two people were left standing. Each time I was one of the 2, with this micro gun.

I'm also small and my concealment needs are pretty high. This works for me.

aweome i didnt know the pm9 came with the thumb safethy do you know about the new cm9, the pm9 more money conscious twin is it available with the thumb safety? Does it preform to the pm9 standards? I am trying to find info about the cm9 but cant really find it. And with all this gun search I am getting them all confused

Firstly, I don't think you'll find much dimensional differences between a pistol chambered for 9mm over one chambered for .40S&W. For example a PM9 and PM40 aren't any different dimensionally.

I think most people have a different reason for preferring one over the other. Maybe they feel the .40S&W is a more effective self defense round. Or maybe one doesn't like the recoil of the .40S&W and opts for the 9mm. ...something like that.

But to answer your question, my wife carries a PM9. She like it for it's size and concealability factor. She doesn't like the trigger or how tight the gun is. When she shoots a 2 day tactical course that PM9 really chews her hand up. Just from the recoil of such a light 9mm and going over manual of arms, press checks, malfunction clearing, etc. But she deals with it for small, slim, light factor.

As far as a manual safety is concerned...that's never been a problem for her. Keeping your finger off the bang switch solves that issue...it's just a matter of training and being serious when handling weapons. That PM9 has a very long and heavy trigger...you'd really have to muck up to have an ND, in my opinion. That said, they do make PM9's with manual safeties.

Here's a couple of resources that let's you easily compare the dimensions of different small guns...

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf
    http://www.mouseguns.com/CompactCompare.pdf
    oneshot likes this.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

The Kahr series of handguns excel at this, very thing. The Walther PPS is also a very good choice. I love the feel of a Kahr P9. But if you want tine then a Kahr PM9 or CM9 would be a good choice. In todays double action handguns, a manula safety really arent necessary, but if you have to have one the PM9 is available with one. A good holster would be enough to protect you from a ND. Now if you are looking for a little more capacity, which would help with recoil due to weight, the HK P2000SK would be a good wone to look at or the CZ Rami.

Kahr PM9 w/ External Safety & LCI - Style # PM9193, Kahr Arms Pistols

CZ Mod 2075 Rami 01752 9mm 3" 14rd : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Heckler & Koch HK P2000 SK V3 9mm (233926) : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

My bf always says that with the dao a thumb safety is un needed; however, never carrying a cc before i think its more of a personally security issue for myself to have the thumb safety I am sure after I get used to carrying I might feel differently. I am very serious with cc and have been shooting hand guns for a long time but really would like something easily concealable, slim, and a reliable gun.

Ruger LC9

I would look at the Ruger LC9

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Sara, you say you have been shooting for some time. What have you shot? Have you shot a DA gun? I ask because I myself do not like the long hard pull, I've tried different guns and just gave up. Other can and do shoot them very accurately. If you have not shot one I would try one before I bought.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Personally, I LIKE having a manual safety on my carry guns, DAO or not, Not because it's needed to carry the weapon safely, but, because I can flip it on in the event of a struggle over the weapon and buy myself a few seconds to take down someone who somehow manages to get the gun away from me. My 1911? safety on of course it's cocked and locked, my Bersa Thunder 40 ultra compact pro, an Thuner .380 deluxe, safety off unless needed.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

The Ruger LC9 is probably your best option if your wanting a manual safety. I won't carry a pistol with a manual safety and I won't buy another one.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

I would also advise you to look at the Ruger SR9c. Manual safety and the right size for you. Great gun too. Very soft shooting 9mm.
    oneshot likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I'm not a fan of safeties on defensive firearms. This past duck season, I probably missed about 5 ducks when I forgot to take the safety off my shotgun. Hunting isn't a life or death situation, but all kinds of things can happen when you become excited or nervous. :)
    oneshot likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links