Defensive Carry banner

9mm "tiny" for Woman Carry Input Please

6K views 33 replies 29 participants last post by  patrol 
#1 ·
I just posted about any potential 40 cal cc semi auto pistols for a woman. I attached this post to the end of my womans cc 40 cal posting but figured i would post it again.

Thanks All.

I went and held some more guns with my bf yesterday and I am really thinking of a sub compact 9mm for my concealed, due to my size and stature I am worried about being able to conceal a 40 cal with everyday wear for me especially summer. I would love a list of pros and cons of every 9mm super compact. Like the Lc9 pf9 pm9 p290 etc. I am looking for something that has a manual safety because i am unsure of the da without a manual thumb safety. Would love any personal use input to get through this long search. And would love to hear from any women carrying these micro 9mm

#5 ·
I carry a PM9, it's one of the smallest and lightest. Long double action revolver type trigger but one of the smoothest made. This is an expensive gun, but everything about it is quality. Accuracy is fantastic. I did a defensive pistol class recently and out of about fifteen people I was the only one with a subcompact. We did a drill where we shot at a target, and kept moving back two paces, with people dropping out as they missed. They let us go back until only two people were left standing. Each time I was one of the 2, with this micro gun.

I'm also small and my concealment needs are pretty high. This works for me.

#6 ·
aweome i didnt know the pm9 came with the thumb safethy do you know about the new cm9, the pm9 more money conscious twin is it available with the thumb safety? Does it preform to the pm9 standards? I am trying to find info about the cm9 but cant really find it. And with all this gun search I am getting them all confused:confused:

#7 ·
Firstly, I don't think you'll find much dimensional differences between a pistol chambered for 9mm over one chambered for .40S&W. For example a PM9 and PM40 aren't any different dimensionally.

I think most people have a different reason for preferring one over the other. Maybe they feel the .40S&W is a more effective self defense round. Or maybe one doesn't like the recoil of the .40S&W and opts for the 9mm. ...something like that.

But to answer your question, my wife carries a PM9. She like it for it's size and concealability factor. She doesn't like the trigger or how tight the gun is. When she shoots a 2 day tactical course that PM9 really chews her hand up. Just from the recoil of such a light 9mm and going over manual of arms, press checks, malfunction clearing, etc. But she deals with it for small, slim, light factor.

As far as a manual safety is concerned...that's never been a problem for her. Keeping your finger off the bang switch solves that issue...it's just a matter of training and being serious when handling weapons. That PM9 has a very long and heavy trigger...you'd really have to muck up to have an ND, in my opinion. That said, they do make PM9's with manual safeties.

Here's a couple of resources that let's you easily compare the dimensions of different small guns...

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf
http://www.mouseguns.com/CompactCompare.pdf

#8 ·
The Kahr series of handguns excel at this, very thing. The Walther PPS is also a very good choice. I love the feel of a Kahr P9. But if you want tine then a Kahr PM9 or CM9 would be a good choice. In todays double action handguns, a manula safety really arent necessary, but if you have to have one the PM9 is available with one. A good holster would be enough to protect you from a ND. Now if you are looking for a little more capacity, which would help with recoil due to weight, the HK P2000SK would be a good wone to look at or the CZ Rami.

Kahr PM9 w/ External Safety & LCI - Style # PM9193, Kahr Arms Pistols

CZ Mod 2075 Rami 01752 9mm 3" 14rd : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Heckler & Koch HK P2000 SK V3 9mm (233926) : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

#9 ·
My bf always says that with the dao a thumb safety is un needed; however, never carrying a cc before i think its more of a personally security issue for myself to have the thumb safety I am sure after I get used to carrying I might feel differently. I am very serious with cc and have been shooting hand guns for a long time but really would like something easily concealable, slim, and a reliable gun.

#11 ·
Sara, you say you have been shooting for some time. What have you shot? Have you shot a DA gun? I ask because I myself do not like the long hard pull, I've tried different guns and just gave up. Other can and do shoot them very accurately. If you have not shot one I would try one before I bought.

#12 ·
Personally, I LIKE having a manual safety on my carry guns, DAO or not, Not because it's needed to carry the weapon safely, but, because I can flip it on in the event of a struggle over the weapon and buy myself a few seconds to take down someone who somehow manages to get the gun away from me. My 1911? safety on of course it's cocked and locked, my Bersa Thunder 40 ultra compact pro, an Thuner .380 deluxe, safety off unless needed.

#13 ·
The Ruger LC9 is probably your best option if your wanting a manual safety. I won't carry a pistol with a manual safety and I won't buy another one.

#15 ·
I'm not a fan of safeties on defensive firearms. This past duck season, I probably missed about 5 ducks when I forgot to take the safety off my shotgun. Hunting isn't a life or death situation, but all kinds of things can happen when you become excited or nervous. :)

Reactions: oneshot
#16 ·
The safety isn't needed, but the LC9 does have a manual safety. I felt the same way you did when I started to carry. I wanted to keep it on safe, and then everything changed when I purchased a revolver and really felt how long a DA trigger pull is. My LC9 feels even longer, and I feel very comfortable leaving the safety off when holstered.

I would not suggest a P290. Even my husband who loves Sig, said this is one that he does not like. The trigger pull on the P290 did not feel smooth, doesn't have a clean break, and felt very heavy.

You should be able to pick up a LC9 for around $400. It has the safety you want, it's definitely slim enough. A couple downsides are the magazine disconnect safety (I personally like this feature, and it's because I'm small and worry about being over-taken), the loaded chamber indicator, and it's only 7+1.

#17 ·
The new Kimber Solo Carry is very compact (2.7" barrel), light (17oz), chambered in 9mm, it has an ambidextrous manual safety and a capacity of 6+1. I think it fits your criteria perfectly.

#19 ·
DA revolver safe?

Have you shot or dry fired a DA revolver such as Smith or Ruger the DA mode? If so, did you feel safe with it? If not, try it for yourself and see. This system has generally considered to be a very safe design for over a hundred years. Has any LE agency transitioned from a DA revolver to a semi-auto because the DA revolver was considered an unsafe design?

After the above experience, shoot or at least dry fire a Kahr and see how similar the trigger pull is to the DA revolver. The Kahr will be closer to the DA revolver than a Glock, Springfield XD, or other brand's similar system.

As has been pointed out already by others, a manual safety can be a double edged sword. I takes several K repetitions for the release/return to truly become automatic - done without consciously thinking. Just please don't kid yourself that you are that committed unless you truly are. Too many LEO's forgetting to instantly release the "safety" on DA/SA style semi's is why many agencies stopped referring to it as a "safety", termed it a "de-cocker", and carried the gun in the fire position. Also some manufacturers offered the option of a de-cocker return spring which automatically reset the lever to the fire position after de-cocking.

There are pros and cons to every system and the issue can be overly thought to the point you can't make a decision.

#20 ·
If you want small, you may want to consider a 1911 platform: single stack mags, single action trigger, and a manual safety. Springfield, Kimber, Colt, and etc. One drawback though: priice!

#22 ·
Hi Sara, WHile a few here are not fans of the Taurus PT709 Slim, I really like it and its my wifes primary carry piece with a crimson trace laser on it.
It has been very reliable, never a failure of any kind and shoots very very well. She, like you was after a small, thin gun, with a manual safety, but was wanting a 9mm and not a .380. Good luck.

#23 ·
I was going to advise you to get a PT709 and shoot 200 rounds. If you don't have one FTF or FTE, then you have a good one. Keep it. If you do have a FTF or FTE, get rid of it... quickly.

#24 ·
Couldnt agree more deaf dave.... there is a lot of bad press on the 709 it sounds like it is justifiable.... I always wonder if limp wristing is the majority of the problem in FTE's with that gun, but I cant speak for how other shooters hold their guns. Mine has a lot of rounds through it and it shoots great!

#25 ·
I've nopt shot the LC9 yet, nor has my wife.

I do know that she can't reach the mag release button without twisting her hand around.

Something she has no problem with my RAMI or her Glock 19.

#30 ·
Did you feel comfortable with the revolver? If you did, a DAO pistol without a safety is really no different. I have pistols with and without safeties, but I never use them. If you have to deal with a safety, it is just one more thing to slow you down when you really need the gun NOW.

Give the Keltec PF-9 a good look. It has no safety, but does have a fairly long trigger pull like a revolver.

#28 ·
Sara as a person that sells guns on a daily basis the BEST advice I could give you is to find one that fits your hand and feels good to you. If the gun doesnt feel good you arent going to want to shoot it to practice and then won't want to carry it. Now with that being said with you looking for one that does have a manual saftey on it your options would be the Kimber Solo Carry, the Ruger LC9, the Taurus 709 Slim, the Kahr PM9 193, as well as a slew of others. Of all of these the one I perfer is the Kahr mostly because I carry a CW9 everywhere I go.
The Taurus is an excellent option and imho better than the Ruger LC9 based off again of how it feels in my hand. With all the options you have avalible to you, you really can't go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.