LC9 Range Report - Page 2

LC9 Range Report

This is a discussion on LC9 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did you try 124 gr ammo? Maybe the 115 stuff is too light to reliably cycle the slide on the LC9. Smaller pistols are often ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Did you try 124 gr ammo? Maybe the 115 stuff is too light to reliably cycle the slide on the LC9. Smaller pistols are often more sensitive since they have very little "time" to complete the cycle - so any holdup could result in a malfunction. Some small pistols also have stiffer recoil springs (which are not friendly to lighter ammo). It is a credit to a gun company when they can make a small pistol work reliably, due to the numerous and unique challenges in doing so.

Ok so I'm thinking 9 may be the better idea. Atleast the range has several I can test out. So I don't have to buy one just to try it out.
    On a side note the local gun shop here in town, seems to be doing very well. They opened like a year ago, the first time I was in there wasn't anyone but me. Now they are hopping all the time and planning on moving to another building. Out of their current small store front guy says he sells about 30 guns a day and 3 silencers. That's a darn good revenue stream, tho now he's talking about expanding alot. Hope he doesn't mess up the good thing he's got going.. Course if he does I will have a very nice range right here in town only a mile from my house.
    G20 / G29

The S&W Bodyguard 380 is a nice little gun. I highly recommend finding one to try for your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by adclose View Post
    I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I had a LC9 on order from my local dealer for my wife.

So as the rest of the story goes something like this. We get the gun, look feel size everything is spot on for my wife. So when she goes to the gun shop to pickup the gun and fill out the paper work, she calls and asks if she needs to get some ammo, I said ya get a couple of boxes as we don't have another 9mm. So she comes home happy as can be with her new gun and the ammo. I precede to do an initial cleaning to insure everything is in good working order before our first range day with the new gun. We go to the range and she sets up with the gun and starts firing. halfway through the first mag, she as a failure to fire, so we cycle the slide and go on, well this starts happening a lot in fact I only used about half of the ammo in each box my wife purchased, with about 1.5 FTF's per clip, from 2 seperate boxes (both the same lot of 115 fmj's from Fiocchi). I was more than a little annoyed by this. In addition when it did fire I noticed the wife was really afraid of the recoil after a few rounds.

At this point I'm thinking that I'm going to just return the gun and get the wife a 380. Not a good start with the new gun. So before i decide to take the gun back I go and buy 2 more boxes of ammo some Remington and some Winchester, and head back to the range just to verify that it is the gun and not the ammo. This time not a single FTF, so I am thrilled by that. In fact I used it in my first IDPA match and placed 7 of 20. So I think I ended up with a good BUG, out of the deal but I'm still on the hunt for a gun for the wife, which i'm pretty sure is now down to just 380's....

Side not to all you IDPA guys, I did my first one this past week and had a great time, enjoyed it a lot more than just bullseye shooting. I seemed to have taken to it pretty well as I was shooting a new gun, in a new competition and still placing 7th out of 20 people. I'm going to have to make that part of my practice schedule.
    So, what ammo were you using initially? Have no issues with mine.

2 seperate boxes both the same lot of 115 fmj's from Fiocchi, these where the ones that failed
    G20 / G29

Not sure how you feel about revolvers. I just bought a Ruger SP101 with the 2 inch barrel. I think it is one of the best firearms I have ever owned or shot. I highly recommend it.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "In addition when it did fire I noticed the wife was really afraid of the recoil after a few rounds."

Small guns and small calibers do not equal light recoil. Most pocket guns are not pleasant to shoot in extended sessions.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by jedwil View Post
    So, what ammo were you using initially? Have no issues with mine.
    Ditto, I have tried about five types of ammo and havent had one issue yet

I've only had one malfunction that was with Sellier and Bellott. I have 500 rounds now through my LC9 including S&B, MFS, Przvi Parzivan which were all 115 gr, 124 gr Blazer and 115 gr Blazer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links