LC9 Range Report

This is a discussion on LC9 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I had a LC9 on order from my local dealer for my wife. So as the rest ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LC9 Range Report

LC9 Range Report

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I had a LC9 on order from my local dealer for my wife.

So as the rest of the story goes something like this. We get the gun, look feel size everything is spot on for my wife. So when she goes to the gun shop to pickup the gun and fill out the paper work, she calls and asks if she needs to get some ammo, I said ya get a couple of boxes as we don't have another 9mm. So she comes home happy as can be with her new gun and the ammo. I precede to do an initial cleaning to insure everything is in good working order before our first range day with the new gun. We go to the range and she sets up with the gun and starts firing. halfway through the first mag, she as a failure to fire, so we cycle the slide and go on, well this starts happening a lot in fact I only used about half of the ammo in each box my wife purchased, with about 1.5 FTF's per clip, from 2 seperate boxes (both the same lot of 115 fmj's from Fiocchi). I was more than a little annoyed by this. In addition when it did fire I noticed the wife was really afraid of the recoil after a few rounds.

At this point I'm thinking that I'm going to just return the gun and get the wife a 380. Not a good start with the new gun. So before i decide to take the gun back I go and buy 2 more boxes of ammo some Remington and some Winchester, and head back to the range just to verify that it is the gun and not the ammo. This time not a single FTF, so I am thrilled by that. In fact I used it in my first IDPA match and placed 7 of 20. So I think I ended up with a good BUG, out of the deal but I'm still on the hunt for a gun for the wife, which i'm pretty sure is now down to just 380's....

Side not to all you IDPA guys, I did my first one this past week and had a great time, enjoyed it a lot more than just bullseye shooting. I seemed to have taken to it pretty well as I was shooting a new gun, in a new competition and still placing 7th out of 20 people. I'm going to have to make that part of my practice schedule.
    G20 / G29

2. Remove Ads

Competition

Once you start competing you will be ruined. I started shooting USPSA a few years ago and now own all sorts of extra guns and gear.

Sounds like you had good first day of comp shooting

I have not had good results with Fiocchi either, FWIW.

If the Mrs. didn't like the recoil of the 9mm Luger, I would think she would absolutely hate a .380, at least in the small guns. I think they "bite" a lot more personally. You might get her to try a SR9C. Or....the Kahr CW9 is almost exactly the same weight and thickness as the LC9, but the bore axis is a tad lower so should be slightly less brisk.

How was the accuracy? Did you shoot it at 20 to 25 yards?

GM
    So let me see if I can get this straight; you got your wife a 9mm gun that had a lot of ammo related problems. You got a different brand of ammo and then it runs flawless. Now you like the gun very much so you decide to keep it for yourself and get your wife a .380. Very neat; is it not?

Concerning the recoil; Fiocchi can sometimes run a little hotter than other standard pressure ammo.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    You should buy your wife a compact 9mm instead of a 380. A larger sized 9mm will handle recoil better and she will love it. Perhaps a Ruger SR9 Compact, Glock 19, HK USP Compact, Walther P99AS Compact or a Springfield XDM Compact.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Just never let her know what your up to. I almost got caught once and had to use that " why honey I would never look " WHEW.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

If it were me, I would look for a range that she can try the wepon out befor buying. (Unless you want to have a few more extra back-ups.) Let her try a few and decide for herself what she likes and is comfortable with.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

there is a range near by that rents several different 9mm is different sizes and makes so that may be what I do. the more I look at the 380's they all seem very small so I'm not sure they will help with the recoil at all. May have to go the other way and get a heaver 9mm.

At least 9mm ammo is cheap compared to the 10mm im used to paying for.
    G20 / G29

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I agree. I had a .380 Bersa and returned it. The recoil is too snappy. I could not hit anything with it. I would suggest staying with the 9mm, maybe a Glock 26, or a small J frame in .38 special or .327 fed magnum. The .327 will also handle .32, and .32 magnum.

nice....

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I would agree with what others have said about .380. The guns are even smaller and the cartridge makes for uncomfortable recoil for novices in my experience. In stead of going smaller, perhaps you should think bigger. The Kahr CW9 is larger, but still small enough to hide in a purse or carry in a holster. My wife has one and she has no trouble with the recoil or operating the pistol.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Quote Originally Posted by adclose View Post
    there is a range near by that rents several different 9mm is different sizes and makes so that may be what I do. the more I look at the 380's they all seem very small so I'm not sure they will help with the recoil at all. May have to go the other way and get a heaver 9mm.

At least 9mm ammo is cheap compared to the 10mm im used to paying for.
    The recoil on the 380 is not bad at all, I am using buffalo bore full power loads in my p3at: The Keltec P3AT and Buffalo Bore "+p" 90 Grain JHP... why I don't pocket carry much

I don't think the recoil on the .380 is that bad, my LCP "snaps" up a little but doesn't recoil hard to hurt your hand. On the other hand my airweight .38 is absolutely painful to shoot but hey if you want to expand your collection just keep buying ones for her to try out its not a bad scam at all to sneak a few in the house!

I have to agree on the recoil of the airweight. Every time I am in a gunstore and they push the airweight snubbie for a woman i cringe. It was to painful to shoot a whole box, half was all I wanted to shoot. On the other hand my PM9 I can shoot all day.

On normal loads the LC9 is no very bad with re-coil.
    Some new ones need a good cleaning, that may account for any FTE's.
    Love mine.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links