Converting a Glock 19

Converting a Glock 19

This is a discussion on Converting a Glock 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that the Glock 19 can't be converted by simply changing out the barrel like it can in a Glock 23. I'm wondering if ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joker1

Thread: Converting a Glock 19

Converting a Glock 19

I know that the Glock 19 can't be converted by simply changing out the barrel like it can in a Glock 23. I'm wondering if it were possible to convert a Glock 19 to a Glock 23 or Glock 32.

Could you buy a Glock 23 or 32 slide with a barrel and spring and just slide it on a Glock 19 frame since the Glock 19, 23 and 32 all have the same size frame?

Since the ejection pin is attached to the frame, would the Glock 19 pin be able to eject a .40 or .357 casing reliably?

Would the Glock 23 pin be able to eject the 9mm shell and the .357 shell reliably?

I hate to sound like a smart ass, but leave the 19 alone it's perfect the way it is. If you want a bigger caliber gun save up and buy it. I have no expertise at "converting/butchering" pistols so I can't say it is or isn't possible.
    Old School likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I hate to sound like a smart ass, but leave the 19 alone it's perfect the way it is. If you want a bigger caliber gun save up and buy it. I have no expertise at "converting/butchering" pistols so I can't say it is or isn't possible.
    My thoughts as well.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I agree. I'm sure it can be done, but with buying parts and piecing it all together you might be better off just buying either a used or a new one if you get a good deal on the caliber you want. I understand people going from a .40 to a 9mm due to ammo prices, but going up on a 9mm frame not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post

The ejectors in the Glock pistols can be changed. They are not integral with the frames. It's recommended by Glock that the correct ejector be used with the corresponding caliber. The 40S&W and 357SIG are the same ejector. Many folks here claim they have had no issues with ejectors when swapping calibers by changing the upper components. Personally, I see no need in possibly compromising the Glock reliability even if I'm creating a hybrid of sorts. As far as using a 9mm frame and buying a complete upper in 40S&W, that's going to cost you especially sticking with OEM parts. Over the years, and upgrades, Glock has ended up making things a bit more confusing than they used to be on the parts swaps. These days the different calibers require a variety of different parts especially in the uppers. The 4th gen Glock pistols are something I haven' really gotten into yet, so I'm assuming and talking about the 3rd generation pistols and previous. To my thinking, "simply changing out" any parts in the Glock pistols may only seem simple in theory, but might be far from simple in integrity and reliability. Granted things may work okay with a part swap. Being totally confident in your pistol and it just simply working are two different ways of looking at things. The list of totally compatible or interchangeable parts for the Glock pistols is rather extensive now. I have to keep several charts and parts listings and read the fine print just to attempt to keep them all straight. Some parts are only compatible within a certain serial number range as well. The Glock parts swap or compatibility with parts deal comes up often here and has for quite some time. The answers used to be simple as long as the question was clear and specific. Over the years, things have become more complicated. A quick answer now involves more research as to whether you can or can't use this part in that and then there may be a few 'ifs' and 'buts' after that. In the end (just like when you're at the range)......safety is the bottom line.

Sponsored Links