Keep my kahr??

Keep my kahr??

This is a discussion on Keep my kahr?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I've had two lock open after first round nose. Now about 400 rounds through. I'm not so sure I made a wise choice here. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep my kahr??

Keep my kahr??

Well I've had two lock open after first round nose. Now about 400 rounds through. I'm not so sure I made a wise choice here. I mean it's great that it's such a thin pistol but as most of you know, it's a sensitive gun that you have to be absolutely sure you have the right ammo for. I'm thinking that maybe I should get something in sub compact that runs on anything you feed it. Glock 26 or SA XD "3 inch. Also I'm experienced only about 4 months and this just seems like a high maintenance high brow gun with a lot of kick and my wife hates it. Your thoughts??

What model is it and how long have you had it? I bought a PM9 about a month ago and put about 500 rounds through it with not one problem. If you contact Kahr, I would bet that they will make it right. They seem very concerned about their products and reputation.

And my PM9 will take any ammo that I buy without blinking.
    Tom

"A free people ought... to be armed... "
    George Washington, 1790

NRA Endowment Member, CCRKBA Life Member, JPFO Life Member, GOA Life Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation Life Member

Sorry it's a PM9

My MK9, PM9 and P380 will also accept any ammunition. If the Kahr is locking back after the first round, there is either a problem with the gun or you are accidentally hitting the slide release, which forces a lock back. If you're sure that it's not you, I would send the gun back to Kahr and have them look at it. They have very good customer service.

I would just call Kahr up and get it fixed. A PM9 is one of the best pistols out there. Read on this forum all the praise that it gets. You just got a bad one. I am sure that they will make it right. Even if you don't want to keep it, get it fixed by the factory and then you can sell it with a clear conscience .
    Tom

"A free people ought... to be armed... "
    George Washington, 1790

NRA Endowment Member, CCRKBA Life Member, JPFO Life Member, GOA Life Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation Life Member

GM
    Yep, the MK9 and the PM9 are excellent firearms; IMO you did make a wise choice getting a PM9 . I should call Kahr and tell them what is going on; Kahr's CS is very good.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    IMHO, the PM9, due to it's small size and weight, is meant more for the experienced owner. It isn't a fun range gun but rather dedicated to CC use. Small and light usually equals less pleasure and can be problematic, just because it's small and light. No redundency built in. It sounds like you don't like the gun. Perhaps the larger Kahr, a P9 or K9 would suit you better. The K9 is rock solid, but because it is all stainless, it is heavier. Even your wife may enjoy shooting the heavier pistol... a big reduction in recoil going from a PM9 to a K9.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomInJax View Post
    What model is it and how long have you had it? I bought a PM9 about a month ago and put about 500 rounds through it with not one problem. If you contact Kahr, I would bet that they will make it right. They seem very concerned about their products and reputation.

And my PM9 will take any ammo that I buy without blinking.
    Same here, another 50 through today - no issues since round 1. Not that it helps the original poster, but just further confirmation that is can be a great shooter - I actually enjoy shooting mine, it's a fun gun to shoot. So far I've run about 4 different kinds of ammo through it, right now I'm on the Remington UMC mega pack. :)

As mentioned, it's either your thumb hitting the slide release/lock lever or something is wrong with the gun.

I hope you get it straightened out and end up enjoying the firearm!

P7
    If the problem is not caused by your thumb hitting the slide stop, you might have an out-of-spec slide stop. You might go over to kahrtalk.com and do a search for "slidestop." The slide locking open on a partially full magazine is a well known issue. There is a small internal nub on the slide stop that hits the metal protrusion on the magazine follower to lock the slide open on an empty magazine. If this nub is too long it may be hitting the ogive of bullets in the magazine and raising it. You can make this determination by removing the slide and inserting a loaded magazine. If the slide stop nub hits the bullet, you've got a problem. In this case, you may be able to fix it yourself by SLIGHTLY filing down the small nub on the slide stop so that it clears the bullets. If you take too much off the nub, it won't lock the slide back when the magazine is empty. Detailed instructions are available at kahrtalk.com. You could also explain the situation to Jay or Ian at Kahr customer service and they may send you a new slidestop. The PM9 is a very reliable pistol. Don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by P7 View Post
    In this case, you may be able to fix it yourself by SLIGHTLY filing down the small nub on the slide stop so that it clears the bullets. If you take too much off the nub, it won't lock the slide back when the magazine is empty. Detailed instructions are available at kahrtalk.com. You could also explain the situation to Jay or Ian at Kahr customer service and they may send you a new slidestop. The PM9 is a very reliable pistol. Don't give up.
    - I agree with this. I would send the gun in, but it doesn't hurt to ask for a new slidestop if you want to test that out. They should be able to send you one quickly instead of you filling out all the paper work to ship the firearm.

Well the round clears the slide stop. The guy at Kahr said: "Try different ammo, try different ammo, try different ammo" I got the feeling he has said this before! which got me thinking why??? why should I have to search for the right ammo? why bother? he thought maybe I'm limp wristing, could be hitting my hand, I will admit it's taking time to get used to it as I have med/large hands. So one more trip to the range. Thanks for your help.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    The Kahr PM9 is a very nice pistol and I agree that with these small 9's that the tolerances are very tight. If you go to the Kahr forum you can read that some other users also experience this same problem. I hope this helps. God Bless

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    While I don't have a PM9 I do have a CM9 (same pistol, just made more cheaply) and the CW9 (larger). None of mine are sensitive to the ammo used. I use 115gr, 124gr and 147gr loads in mine and they all function 100%. You might call up Kahr.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    While I don't have a PM9 I do have a CM9 (same pistol, just made more cheaply) and the CW9 (larger). None of mine are sensitive to the ammo used. I use 115gr, 124gr and 147gr loads in mine and they all function 100%. You might call up Kahr.
    how is the new CM9? any pictures you could post.

PM9 is a great carry gun but i would choose something different for a female with little experience. it does kick a bit but not nearly as bad as other pistols i have shot in the same or smaller caliber.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links