How much does weight factor into your EDC.

This is a discussion on How much does weight factor into your EDC. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Up untill recently I had never considered weight. I carry appendix IWB and never really thought about it. A few weeks ago I came up ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How much does weight factor into your EDC.

Up untill recently I had never considered weight. I carry appendix IWB and never really thought about it. A few weeks ago I came up with some back pain and now I notice the weight. I wonder how many of you take it into consideration. I still carry my 26 from time to time but more often than not my 642 and PF9 are getting the nod. Im not sure if its the barrel of the 26 pressing against a nerve or if its actually weight. I notice the issue with my 3913 as well. I have thought of changing positions but I hug too many folks and bump into too many folks to carry at 4:00. I shoot the 642 and the PF9 as well as if not better than the 26 so I guess I really shouldnt care.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Good gunbelt + good holster = no problem.

My EDC went from a Glock 27 to a Kahr MK9 to a Kahr PM9. Thinner and lighter is always much more comfortable for me to carry.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Good gunbelt + good holster = no problem.
    Good information! Oh, and I'll take all of those heavy guns, just to save your pain!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    A lot, if I didn't weigh so much, I'd carry a bigger gun.

VIP Member
    Yes, it’s a personal thing and it does factor in with me. Even my stainless 640 snub becomes less tolerable in the 116-118 degree summers. When I can justify it, I may opt for an older Smith-49 loaded with 110-grains for the warmer periods.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I notice when I carry my Glock 23 for a while and switch down to the 27, that the 27 is noticibily lighter. However, the 23 is by no means too heavy to carry. A 642 would be a dream to carry, but I feel more comfortable w/ my variety of Glocks. To each his own.
    Old School likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

i carry a ruger p95 (club) and i almost forget it's there, it just depends on how you carry

Weight is not as big a problem for me as position of carry. For the last 3 weeks I have even been trying the "New York Reload", carrying my SP101 strongside and my LCR weakside. However, I think either one of these is qualified as a lighter gun.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I don't mind the weight of the gun, but my weight does play an important role in EDC. If I am a bit overweight, concealing a larger weapon is a hassle. Therefore, I try to stay in shape all the time.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Walther PPS. That comes light. The only thing lighter I've found is my Fiveseven. That, however, is a bit large for comfortable carry.

A good belt makes all of the difference in the world. A good belt is expensive, but will almost make you forget that you are carrying sometimes

sgb
    Even with spinal stenosis I carry a 5" 3lb 1911.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I usually carry my glock 36 around 4oclock with a spare mag at 8oclock and it is not a bad setup. I do have a pretty bad lower back and that setup can cause additional pain some days. If I am having a really bad back day I will carry my LCR or on occasion my CW9. I am hoping to pick up either a P380 or LCP soon to have a pocket carry option for sever back pain days.

I carry a 5" Gov't Model 1911 in an IBW in street clothing...and could not agree more how important a great gun belt is!! The only time I carry smaller is when jogging, or wearing real light clothing...then I carry a J frame or a .380...not for the weight factor per se, though I can secure the lighter weapons easier with less "bounce" in a belly band while I am running...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links