Please, Explain Glock Plugs - Page 2

Please, Explain Glock Plugs

This is a discussion on Please, Explain Glock Plugs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's there to expose obsessive-compulsive n'er-do-wells....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Please, Explain Glock Plugs

It's there to expose obsessive-compulsive n'er-do-wells.

It's there to generate THIS question on a gun forum....Ya dun good!!!! BTW, I have the plug in both my G26 and G19.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have no idea what the reason is for the void there, but there is a reason for Glock to have it there so im not pluging mine. If they felt like it needed to be closed they would have capped it at the factory. Just the way I look at it.
    Generation 4 Glock 23
    Son, if you want something in this life you have to work for it,
    now quiet! there about to announce the lottery numbers........ Homar Simpson

Senior Moderator
    The cap does have a purpose...I keep a 100 bill in mine for emergencies.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

When you mold plastic you can't make the wall thickness too great or the plastic will shrink and distort as it cools.

So my quess is that since there is no functional need to fill the space between the magazine well and the back of the grip, Glock just left it open so that each wall of plastic would be thin enough not to distort when the plastic left the mold. You will find this kind of engineering design choice made on many molded plastic objects. It's a common reason you find ribs used to strengthen plastic walls rather than to just mold thicker walls.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The cap does have a purpose...I keep a 100 bill in mine for emergencies.
    That sounds like a potentially great idea to me. I have a plug in my G27 because the edge of the void was a little sharp and would occasionally dig into the palm of my hand. My only concern would be the possibility of it igniting? I can't remember if its sealed or not.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

As far as I know it is purely cosmetic and an easy way to part with a few $$ for no gain although the metal plugs serve a purpose. I've also seen magwells that attach through the hump to give the magazine a HUGE funnel and it also acts as a pistol weight.

BTW I had Robar reshape the grip on my G21 to fit my hand and it doesn't have a hump anymore. I understand it's a DIY project now if you want to tackle it. You fill the void with polymer and reshape to taste. YMMV
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

The plug is just another after market tinker-with-it-till-it-feels-like-its-mine attachment.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

The best idea is to roll your CCW up stick it in the void; then use the cap to keep it there. Then if a leo ask you for your CCW it is handy!

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Several of my Glocks have plugs, and couple do not...not a big deal either way. I see it as a mag guide, and perhaps a 'finishing' look, but who would notice?
    I find it rather handy that way also.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    When you mold plastic you can't make the wall thickness too great or the plastic will shrink and distort as it cools.

So my quess is that since there is no functional need to fill the space between the magazine well and the back of the grip, Glock just left it open so that each wall of plastic would be thin enough not to distort when the plastic left the mold. You will find this kind of engineering design choice made on many molded plastic objects. It's a common reason you find ribs used to strengthen plastic walls rather than to just mold thicker walls.
    Being a mechanical designer, I tend to agree this is most likely the reason. I am sure it is a manufacturing neccessity of some sort. Either they needed access to the area at the top of the hole in the grip or as mcfmb stated it's to maintain common wall thickness, save material cost.

I do however remember reading a post somewhere where someone was examining a used glock a friend bought and found that the previous owner had filled the cavity with lead shot. I can see where this might help reduce recoil in a subcompact for competition use.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    The best idea is to roll your CCW up stick it in the void; then use the cap to keep it there. Then if a leo ask you for your CCW it is handy!
    Sure except you better explain VERY clearly why your pulling your gun on a LEO!

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Sure except you better explain VERY clearly why your pulling your gun on a LEO!
    I think that would be a Darwin test.

Distinguished Member
    Good read, sure clears up that question

It got me a thinking about making a lip gloss attachment for the Glock, you know, catering to the growing female customer base.....
    Richocet Red, Plus P Pink, Cross Draw Coral
    garyacman likes this.

From Glockworld.com

#24 - WHY IS THERE A HOLE AT THE BASE OF THE BACKSTRAP / GRIP?
    This is the hole through which a lanyard or rope is attached in order to secure the firearm to its owner? The lanyard hole in Glocks originated as part of a combat or military requirement. This requirement was dropped with the introduction of the subcompacts (Glock 26/27s have no lanyard hole).

Lanyards were originally used to prevent U.S. Cavalry officers from losing their sidearms (revolvers), while mounted on their chargers (horses). The lanyard would attach securely from the sidearm to the officer's epaulets or saddle.

Some SWAT team officers run a bungie cord though the lanyard hole in their autopistols and attach it to their tac vest. Until recently, the U.S. Army was requiring MPs to use lanyards on their M1911A1s.

Some shooters used a lanyard (a length of bootlace tied through the hole in the frame and around their belt, with the slack tucked into my waistband) while engaged in hunting or hiking and other strenuous movement or exercises.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links