Please, Explain Glock Plugs

This is a discussion on Please, Explain Glock Plugs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of plugs extend out a bit and can act as a help in seating the magazine. As to void at the rear of the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Please, Explain Glock Plugs

Thumbs down

Some of plugs extend out a bit and can act as a help in seating the magazine.
    As to void at the rear of the grip? I had a partner that put 2 or 3 skoal bandits in there.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    to use/add this feature if you want - GLOCK
    Thanks very much. That pretty much explains it. And I thank each of you for your comments! Interesting thread...

D~
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I used to have a plug in my Glock as I had bought into that "dust in the trigger group" business.

Found out that the void behind the mag comes in real handy in removing a stuck magazine quickly in the event of a failure, as it gives you some room for your thumb on the back of the mag.

I removed the plug immediately, as it is my carry piece, and don't want any complications in the unlikely event of an emergency.

Just stick your thumb in there and wrap your index finger around the front of the mag, you'll see what mean...

Additionally, there will never be a problem with dust in there as long as you clean it periodically, as you well should.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    The best idea is to roll your CCW up stick it in the void; then use the cap to keep it there. Then if a leo ask you for your CCW it is handy!
    Truth be told I carry my CCW sash and CCW Badge inside. It is amazing what you can fit inside.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    HK, you should cram a spring up in there and use a plug to hold it in, in the event of an emergency you can then just pull the plug and your sash will be in your hand ready to go to work
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

The reason for the void (not the hole for the lanyard) is for manufacturing reasons since Glock frames are injection molded. I doubt it's even possible to injection mold it without having the cavity, and even if they did, there might be a void in it that could cause a weakness. When injection molding, you want to keep the thickness as uniform as possible.

I'm kind of surprised that no one on this learned site knows the other real reason for the void (other than the lanyard reason).

According to several Glock engineers I have personally met and spoken to:

Since the Glock factory mags have a plastic or polymer sleeve, and the particular type of polymer that Glock uses in it's design will absorb water under the correct conditions and under prolonged exposure to moisture, the void is there so that one may insert the thumb of the non-shooting hand into the void and pull the magazine out of the gun when the polymer has absorbed enough moisture to swell slightly and keep the mag from dropping free. This why Glock continues to have the void in the design and why they recommend not using a plug. The void actually is there for a reason, and it isn't a byproduct of the design or injection molding process.

And as was mentioned above in another post, the Glock was designed as a fighting hand gun. So it is known or expected that it may get dirty. If a mag is inserted that has dirt or other substances on it, that could also cause it to not drop free during a reload and may require the operator to have to "rip" the mag out of the gun to complete the reload.

Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    The reason for the void (not the hole for the lanyard) is for manufacturing reasons since Glock frames are injection molded. I doubt it's even possible to injection mold it without having the cavity, and even if they did, there might be a void in it that could cause a weakness. When injection molding, you want to keep the thickness as uniform as possible.
    I do not believe this is accurate as the XD, XDm, M&P, Kahr and every other polymer framed pistol out there is also injection molded obviously, and few if any of them have this void.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

There used to be a company that made a shoulder stock that attached in that void. The plug is supposed to keep dirt out of the grip.

I don't have an XD, but from what I can see on pictures, it looks like the area where the void is on the glock is, would have been smaller on the XD. In other words the thickness would be more uniform on the XD than a glock, unless Glock changes the shape of the grip.
    More on injection molding here:
    Geometrical possibilities
    The most commonly used plastic molding process, injection molding, is used to create a large variety of products with different shapes and sizes. Most importantly, they can create products with complex geometry that many other processes cannot. There are a few precautions when designing something that will be made using this process to reduce the risk of weak spots. First, streamline your product or keep the thickness relatively uniform.
    Injection molding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I hate a hole in my gun...so I put a plastic plug in it.

I feel sooooo much better about it.
    Me as well.

From what I read it was there because that is just part of the manufacturing process.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that no one on this learned site knows the other real reason for the void (other than the lanyard reason).

I guess my post was too long to read. I have to learn to be more concise... =]

[QUOTE=TN_Mike;1907813]I'm kind of surprised that no one on this learned site knows the other real reason for the void (other than the lanyard reason).

According to several Glock engineers I have personally met and spoken to:

Since the Glock factory mags have a plastic or polymer sleeve, and the particular type of polymer that Glock uses in it's design will absorb water under the correct conditions and under prolonged exposure to moisture, the void is there so that one may insert the thumb of the non-shooting hand into the void and pull the magazine out of the gun when the polymer has absorbed enough moisture to swell slightly and keep the mag from dropping free. This why Glock continues to have the void in the design and why they recommend not using a plug. The void actually is there for a reason, and it isn't a byproduct of the design or injection molding process.

And as was mentioned above in another post, the Glock was designed as a fighting hand gun. So it is known or expected that it may get dirty. If a mag is inserted that has dirt or other substances on it, that could also cause it to not drop free during a reload and may require the operator to have to "rip" the mag out of the gun to complete the reload.

QUOTE]

Partially correct.
    The original Glock mags were NFML (Non/Not Fully Metal Lined) and NDF (Non/Not Drop Free), as opposed to the current (and for quite some time)
    FML (Fully Metal Lined) and DF (Drop Free) mags.
    The original mags were designed that way so they would not be easily disengaged/lost in a combat situation. Even when empty, these mags would not DF when the mag release was depressed, but had to be manually removed. These older NFML mags would actually expand slightly (due to the lack of the current full metal lining) when fully loaded, causing them to be seated even more firmly when inserted (dirt and/or moisture would add to this condition). The purpose of the space behind the mag (where the "plug" that was referred to is placed) was so that the thumb could be inserted to grip the back of the mag while the forefinger gripped the front lip of the mag, and the mag quickly ripped out in the event of a malfunction/mag change.

I haven't heard that moisture would significantly effect the current FML/DF mags, and have never experienced any moisture problems with them,but I'm not an engineer. Still, the reason for the space remains the same - Providing the ability to firmly grab and remove the mag in the event that it becomes stuck and does not DF.

Quote Originally Posted by ooxlinusxoo View Post
    I guess my post was too long to read. I have to learn to be more concise... =]
    Nope, not too long. I just missed it. Sorry!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Never paid much attention to the void; but, I think I am going to get a lanyard.

VIP Member
    Wow three pages on Glock plugs! You guys are really starting to compete with watching the grass grow!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links