Please, Explain Glock Plugs

This is a discussion on Please, Explain Glock Plugs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see "plugs" for most all Glock pistols. They fill a void in the rear portion of the grip behind the magazine. My questions are: ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Please, Explain Glock Plugs

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

I see "plugs" for most all Glock pistols. They fill a void in the rear portion of the grip behind the magazine.

My questions are:

1.) what purpose do they serve?
    2.) Why is there a void behind the magazine in the first place?
    3.) Why is the plug not included with the pistol?
    4.) One website says it's to keep dirt out - thus question #2.

I've made and effort to post this without sounding ignorant or snotty but it still looks like I am being a butt hole but please understand, I am not. I'm just curious of the purpose of the void and subsiquent (optional) part to cover it.

TIA!

Diddle

I have a GLOCK with the void, never got a plug. Honestly I do not know what the void is for I do not know what the plug is for, I never understood why I would want to get the plug so I never did.

Have not had any real dirt issues to change my mind...

I think after a few years somone made a plug that fit the void and started selling them, people bought them so they kept selling them...

I was told by a cop that the space is there it allow a lanyard loop for Military/LE use. Also to quickly dump out water in case it was submerged. Take it for what it's worth.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    If I am not mistaken the void that the plug fills is also where a shoulder stock attachment inserts?

I have a plug for all my Glocks. It keeps the dust out. While the dust may not affect pistol operation, neither will dirt affect operation of my shoes. But I like them clean too.

to use/add this feature if you want - GLOCK

VIP Member
    One must remember that the Glock was designed as a combat handgun. It was meant to go through the mud and crud. The void in the rear of the grip is to give the various particles from normal firing, as well as the mud and crud, somewhere to go. Most of us will never have any real need for that, but it is nice that it is there.

As for the purpose of the plug? I guess it looks cool to some. If a heavy, metal plug is used, it can change the overall balance of the handgun. This last could be good or bad.

To each, their own, I guess.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    This last is just an after thought on the part of Glock. It was never a part of the original designs. Blame the lawyers.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Administrator
    You need to buy the plug without knowing why you are actually buying the plug in order to hide the void that serves no absolute known specific purpose for existing.

I hope that clears things up for you.

One explanation for the void is to save weight and, I've read, to allow a finger to be inserted so as to remove a mag which has become stuck during combat conditions.

I use the void to hold my cyanide pill. If I miss the after a reload. I will pop the plug and swallow the pill to save myself of the embarrassment of missing my mark with all 20 rounds.
    GunnyBunny likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    Man, I sure hope that they keep this an aftermarket option. It is bad enough having to take the S&W lock flags out, I don't need more work on Glocks.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

1. Cosmetic and or weight balance.
    2. Provide place for dirt to clear, allow frame to flex (as Glock as intended with the polymer frame).
    3. See #2
    4. See #1

Glock Certified Armorer

VIP Member
    I attended my first GSSF Glock Sport Shooting Foundation match in Olympia Washington many years ago and noticed I was pretty much the only attendee without a plug in my Glock.

It turns out they were marketed by Taylor Freelance and were called the Seattle Slug. At that time they were made in brass only and did affect the balance of the pistol. They were later made in aluminum, and that's what I have in all my Glocks.

From my experience, they do act as a mini mag funnel and do aid in a faster reload.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Senior Moderator
    I hate a hole in my gun...so I put a plastic plug in it.

I feel sooooo much better about it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Several of my Glocks have plugs, and couple do not...not a big deal either way. I see it as a mag guide, and perhaps a 'finishing' look, but who would notice?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links