I can't decide! Glock gen4 or XDM??

This is a discussion on I can't decide! Glock gen4 or XDM?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about buying a hand gun soon and i cannot decide if i like the glock 17, 22, or 23 gen4 or if ...

View Poll Results: Which one would you chose

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • glock 17

24 15.89%
  • glock 22

10 6.62%
  • glock 23

35 23.18%
  • xdm

51 33.77%
  • other (explain)

31 20.53%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I can't decide! Glock gen4 or XDM??

I can't decide! Glock gen4 or XDM??

I've been thinking about buying a hand gun soon and i cannot decide if i like the glock 17, 22, or 23 gen4 or if i should save for an xdm 9mm. What would you chose? If glock which one and why.

2. Remove Ads

I don't think you could go wrong with either. I would go to the range and see which one you shoot better.

I'd go with the Glock, but I'd get a Gen3 G17. While most of the gen4 Glocks work great, some get finicky about lower powered ammunition(read--inexpensive plinkin' ammo).

The Glock 17 because I see no reason to move up to a .40; 9mm will do just fine, especially for a new shooter.

As for why not the XDm--as a former XDm owner, I see absolutely nothing that the XDm offers for the extra $150+ they are priced at.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

If trigger reset is an important factor go with the gen 4 glock. I learned this past weekend that my XDm has a longer trigger reset distance than the gen 4 glocks.

Otherwise both are great and reliable guns.

I went XDM, absolutely love the gun. I got the 9mm compact version and it shoots oh so sweet. Easy to field strip and I like the added grip safety myself. 19 round mags when you want them buy I prefer it with the 13 round mags with Pearce grip extensions. I have nothing remotely negative to say about this gun, it's a true performer.

I was going to get a Glock 19 until I held an XD, then an XDM.

I made the right choice for myself and my needs, XDM all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree cuda. I'm having a hard time justifying the extra cost of the xdm but it does feel good in my hand. The glock gen 4 seems to fit my hand better than the previous generations. I am normally a 1911 guy but i've been thinking about a glock i just can't seem to figure out which one I want.

I voted Glock 23. All I can say is, its simply just a awesome firearm.
    Generation 4 Glock 23
    Son, if you want something in this life you have to work for it,
    now quiet! there about to announce the lottery numbers........ Homar Simpson

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    At this level of quality, it really boils down to personal preference. I go with Glocks because they work better for me.

I'll elaborate.

I've liked the XD series pistols since their introduction (as the HS2000). I've been buying them and selling them off and on since. I buy them because I like how they feel, but for the life of me I can't shoot one as well as I shoot a Glock. I also have a problem with the slide stop. No matter how much I practice, I can't keep from touching that thing and preventing the slide from locking back on the last round. Its the only pistol I can think of that I have this problem with... but it happens on both the XD and XDM series pistols for me. I realize this is not an issue for most owners of this handgun, I'm just cursed with goofy thumbs.

I've also been shooting Glocks for many years, since their introduction back in the 80's (I just dated myself). While the grip angle was somewhat unconventional I quickly took to it and now a Glock feels almost as good to me as a 1911.

In terms of reliability I've found both to be exceptionally reliable guns.

So, I would say go play with both and see which one fits you better. How a gun fits your hand and how well you shoot it is the most critical element. Everything else is ancillary. Don't let us tell you want works best for you. Just rest assured both are solid pistols.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

I like the feel / shooting of the Glock better than the XD / XDM.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

@Military arms please see PM I sent
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Personally, for me, it's a G19/9mm, hence my choice of "Other"...Glock goes bang every time and is an easy weapon to run/clean. (9mm allows me to have enough stopping power for a "carry" weapon, yet the cost of 9mm ammo allows me to train regularly without worrying too much about cost of ammo... Go with a Gen 3 if you can find one... JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I have an XDM 4.5 in 9mm and it does not get any better than that. I like the extra safety in the handle like a 1911. You'll need a good grip to be able to shoot it. I like Glocks also, I am buying a G19 G4 and G26 soon. Between the 2, without a doubt the XDM. Once you hold it in your hands there is no comparison.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    you can't go wrong with what fits you best. So I will say that I picked the M&P40 because it fit my needs the best. Target, Conceal/Open Carry, great feel. IF you want a 40 cal I would suggest the M&P40 compact if a 9mm then the M&P9 compact, both of which will accept the full size Mags and a grip x-grip which converts a conceal carry gun into a home defense/target/Open carry.

if you can handle a full size version glock then you COULD handle a full size M&P which smith and wesson has an awesome carry and range kit. I think their website is being worked on right now but check them out I found them for $525 with three mags, a holster, a mag carrier, and speed loader. Check out some videos

YouTube - Glock vs M&P
    YouTube - M&P Review 1
    YouTube - M&P Review 2
    YouTube - M&P vs XD
    YouTube - M&P Torture testing
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I haven't looked at the M&P yet. Plan on stopping in at my favorite gun shop tomorrow to play with a few things.

I completely forgot about the G19. It's the same as the G23 except 9mm correct? I've never been a huge fan of the 9mm round since i'm so use to .40 and .45 but with the economy the way it is the ammo price of 9mm is appealing. Some say it doesn't have the stopping power of the .40 and .45 and you are probably right but who said anything about pulling the trigger just once?

The XD just never seemed to fit my hand right but the full size XDM feels like a dream. I have only held a gen4 glock once and it was a new G23 i was looking at buying some time ago so i've forgotten what they feel like.

Maybe I can convince my wife to let me buy both the glock and xdm and not divorce me...

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    I haven't looked at the M&P yet. Plan on stopping in at my favorite gun shop tomorrow to play with a few things.

I completely forgot about the G19. It's the same as the G23 except 9mm correct? I've never been a huge fan of the 9mm round since i'm so use to .40 and .45 but with the economy the way it is the ammo price of 9mm is appealing. Some say it doesn't have the stopping power of the .40 and .45 and you are probably right but who said anything about pulling the trigger just once?

The XD just never seemed to fit my hand right but the full size XDM feels like a dream. I have only held a gen4 glock once and it was a new G23 i was looking at buying some time ago so i've forgotten what they feel like.

Maybe I can convince my wife to let me buy both the glock and xdm and not divorce me...
    Honestly, If you can shoot accurate with a 9mm and place two 9mm hollowpoint rounds into a scumbags chest or more, i say you have nothing to worry about, ever seen what a 9mm hollowpoint does to a geleton head? You should see the exit of it...
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links