I just can't stomach DA/SA on a carry gun. - Page 2

I just can't stomach DA/SA on a carry gun.

This is a discussion on I just can't stomach DA/SA on a carry gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the many years I carried a SIG P-220, it never bothered me as there was no other option available to me. In fact, I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I just can't stomach DA/SA on a carry gun.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    For the many years I carried a SIG P-220, it never bothered me as there was no other option available to me. In fact, I prefered the extra safety of that long trigger pull first shot because pointing guns at people can be a very unforgiving business.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My 24/7 is Da/Sa, and I love it. But, it's also striker fire; I don't have a hammer to worry about.

Distinguished Member
    Revolving, can you expand on the da/sa and striker fire - i.e. what kind of gun is that?

(trying to learn here, no snickering)

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I personally prefer a DA/SA, while DAO follows second. I detest a SAO, I have almost no feeling in my hands so SAO triggers are usually too light for me to even feel. Why do I prefer DA/SA then, easy, training. Shot DA/SA since I was 6 till I was 21, never tried anything else really till I got in the military. After my hands went numb I just couldn't get comfortable with SAO, heck I actually try and increase trigger pull so I can feel the dang thing.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Some people just aren't coordinated enough to be able to master a simple machine. I've seen it in apprentice tool and die makers. Some of them pick it up and it is natural to them, others stumble around like a bull in a china shop and never do get good at it. You have to have some aptitude for it. I've instructed many people over the years and seen the same principal in the handling of weapons. Some people don't have the skills to be very adept at gun handling, others take to it like a duck on water.

The problem is, that if one gets discouraged,then they tend to ignore trying to get better. They drop it and move on to something else. Rather than practice to the point of becoming proficient, they go to something easier. Its the very reason that we have double action only guns...for the masses that for one reason or another don't have the time,the skills or the aptitude to get any better with a particular platform.

Back in the day, before the general dumbing of America took place and people actually tried to excel at things, when trophy's were awarded for being the best, not just given out to anyone that showed up, there were only a couple of platforms. It wasn't until the early 80's that we even had such as thing as a double action only handgun, even the revolvers could have the hammer moved back for a nice crisp single shot break. Peoeple didn't complain or whine about the way a gun was, they just adapted and learned to use it.

Now,there are lots of platforms available. The key is to pick one and become as good with it as you can be...so that if they day comes that you must fire it to save the lives of yourself or your loved ones, you'll be the one left standing..not some inbred thug that was convinced that scaring someone enough to make them give up was the right thing to do.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I know what you mean Lyndo. In my police career, in the mid-70's officers were authorized to begin carrying semi-autos, but no 1911's. The brass just couldn't get their brains around "cocked and locked." The options were; Browning Hi Powers, S&W mod. 39, or the "new" mod. 59, "Wonder Nine." Both of those platforms were of course DA/SA. I owned a 1911, but couldn't carry it on duty, so I began training with what I could carry, a mod. 59. After 30+ years, shooting that platform is natural for me. In the 90's, I upgraded to a S&W 4006 for duty use and more recently a mod. 457 for retired carry. Those too, are DA/SA.

When I carry my 1911 (a newer one than I had in 1970) I find that I tend to fumble with the thumb safety. No matter how much I practice and drill, I'm afraid that in a SHTF moment, I might fumble when it counts.

I found a platform that I am very comfortable with and recently bought a Springfield XD, which I am training with and feel very confident in carrying. I like the grip safety, accuracy, ease of operation and reliability. My 457 is seeing less and less use.

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

I kept my expert qualification up in a DA/SA while still on active duty but it was not particularly comfortable to me
    I could probably spend more time trying to master it I was just stating my preference. I'm looking at the DAK models I really wanted the classic SIG system.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

GrandBob I agree with the majority of your points. I have chosen my system and I was looking to try something else. One thing that is not a fair comparison; all the shots are fired from the same trigger unless the user chooses to cock the hammer. I have no issue with revolvers but continue to screw up the transition on the DA/SA semis and that is why I can't bring myself to carry one.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

I can't make the DA/SA change worth a darn either. Give me my 1911, or if I have to have a Sig then make it DAK. Their DAK triggers are rather smooth and light for a DA trigger.

I grew up shooting my dad's old 1911 and Hi-power when I turned 21 I bought a Beretta 92 and had a hard
    time getting used to that first long pull but with practice it got a whole lot better.

Beretta Cougar, if you dont' cock it, first shot is DA, all the rest are SA. So, it's only getting past that first shot.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    Some people just aren't coordinated enough to be able to master a simple machine. I've seen it in apprentice tool and die makers. Some of them pick it up and it is natural to them, others stumble around like a bull in a china shop and never do get good at it. You have to have some aptitude for it. I've instructed many people over the years and seen the same principal in the handling of weapons. Some people don't have the skills to be very adept at gun handling, others take to it like a duck on water.

The problem is, that if one gets discouraged,then they tend to ignore trying to get better. They drop it and move on to something else. Rather than practice to the point of becoming proficient, they go to something easier. Its the very reason that we have double action only guns...for the masses that for one reason or another don't have the time,the skills or the aptitude to get any better with a particular platform.

Back in the day, before the general dumbing of America took place and people actually tried to excel at things, when trophy's were awarded for being the best, not just given out to anyone that showed up, there were only a couple of platforms. It wasn't until the early 80's that we even had such as thing as a double action only handgun, even the revolvers could have the hammer moved back for a nice crisp single shot break. Peoeple didn't complain or whine about the way a gun was, they just adapted and learned to use it.

Now,there are lots of platforms available. The key is to pick one and become as good with it as you can be...so that if they day comes that you must fire it to save the lives of yourself or your loved ones, you'll be the one left standing..not some inbred thug that was convinced that scaring someone enough to make them give up was the right thing to do.
    Well said.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I would make two points - first, you have to practice the DA/SA transition before it becomes natural to you. Second, the DA trigger pull on a DA/SA Sig is so smooth that it isn't that hard to hit your target with the Sig while firing DA.
    Very true in my opinion. I have gone all Glock now but I do miss my Sigs. I will be getting a 1911 when I have the cash.

"Back in the day, before the general dumbing of America took place..."

GrandBob talks sensibly. This is a huge phenomenon of our nation at this time in our history; akin to the frog boiling himself because the water temperature was raised incrementally.

"Rather than practice to the point of becoming proficient, they go to something easier."

Some of the best shooters on our Forum shoot DAO automatics and can make them "walk and talk" however the design is for the masses and represents a compromise born out of excessive dithering. No thinking person would want a double-action-only trigger on a rifle or shotgun so why embrace it for the handgun?

I like designs that give the option of using the trigger to only disengage a sear rather than some awkward trigger that only fires after moving through some long and relatively heavy arc that completes some cocking function which is suppose to somehow be "safer." DA/SA automatics and double action revolvers with hammer spurs offer choices.

Just a though.

Only my view.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Kinda like DA/SA. I never had an issue, and, guns like the cz-75 give you the option of even cocked and locked.
    This.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links