Rollo Talks Sp-101 Grips

This is a discussion on Rollo Talks Sp-101 Grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jackmi Rollo - Thanks for the great review. Your review included the Badger boot grip. Could you please comment/review the Badger full ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Rollo Talks Sp-101 Grips

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmi View Post
    Rollo - Thanks for the great review. Your review included the Badger boot grip. Could you please comment/review the Badger full grip using the 4 criteria? Thanks!
    I wish I could but I do not own the full grip. From looking at the two however I would guess that controlability would go up a notch (the increased length would provide a more secure grip) and concealability would go down a notch as the increased length would likely print a bit more. Comfort may gain .5-1 point as well from the increased length. That's just my guess though.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think you need to get a grip!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I think you need to get a grip!

ba dum dum
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Wow Rollo! Great review! I agree with your assessments as well. I tried a set of the Badgers and they are great grips but they just didn't work for me. I stuck with the factory grips and like them the best. Now I just have to sell the Badgers and find a set of fancy schmancy inserts then I'm good to go. I also enjoyed your 3 months with the sp101 review!

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    My choice are shown below . For me they are the best combat grip though not the most pleasing to the eye.Attachment 24309

Click to enlarge.
    Actually it was a picture you posted some time ago that inspired me to try the Pachmyr compacs on my SP101. I find they soak up recoil better than the originals I was using and fit my hand just as well. As an added plus I do think they are pleasing to the eye.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Actually it was a picture you posted some time ago that inspired me to try the Pachmyr compacs on my SP101. I find they soak up recoil better than the originals I was using and fit my hand just as well. As an added plus I do think they are pleasing to the eye.
    I am glad the photo was inspiring to you to try the grip and wind up liking them.You are correct sir they are pleasing to the eye especially in a functional way and the perfect grip for me. I really like their look from the right side .

photo.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    Thanks for the review.
    I have the black badger boot grips on my SP, and mine developed a chip in the back, near the backstrap, after just one range session.
    The chipped out section is very small, and Jim Badger offered to replace them, but I might just leave them on, since the replacements might just do the same...
    I will just sand them lightly, and call it good.
    I love the way they feel, conceal, and look.
    I would like the pachmayer too, but am worried that so many say that they do not fit properly..
    How many have found pachs that DID fit?
    Will post pics... if I can ever get my photos to a hosting site.

I wanted to get some crimson trace grips for my sp101, checked out one at the local GS, and found that I didn't like the way the gun pointed with 'em. Would've never thought of that. Factory grips conceal great, wouldn't consider any others.

VIP Member
    Rollo, great review. I've got the Hogue grips on my SP101 right now. I'm surprised you find them grabby. I typically use nothing but a t-shirt to cover the gun and haven't found them grabby, at all. One trick I learned long ago was to wipe down new rubber grips (Hogue, Pachmyr, etc...) with alcohol, let them dry and sit for a few minutes, then rub them down with your hands. Repeat a second time if needed. This has always taken off any tacky, sticky, grabby feel to my grips.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by wheelyfun101 View Post
    Thanks for the review.
    I have the black badger boot grips on my SP, and mine developed a chip in the back, near the backstrap, after just one range session.
    The chipped out section is very small, and Jim Badger offered to replace them, but I might just leave them on, since the replacements might just do the same...
    I will just sand them lightly, and call it good.
    I love the way they feel, conceal, and look.
    I would like the pachmayer too, but am worried that so many say that they do not fit properly..
    How many have found pachs that DID fit?
    Will post pics... if I can ever get my photos to a hosting site.
    I actually developed the same chip in mine. I never bothered to contact Jim though. I filled in the chip with some clear nail polish which seems to have worked pretty well,

I wish someone would make some wood grips for the SP101 that look like old S&W square butt grips. I wonder if there's a custom grip maker that would either make some or modify a set of Smith grips to fir the SP101. To me, that would give the SP101 a classic revolver look. Any suggestions on someone to contact?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I wish someone would make some wood grips for the SP101 that look like old S&W square butt grips. I wonder if there's a custom grip maker that would either make some or modify a set of Smith grips to fir the SP101. To me, that would give the SP101 a classic revolver look. Any suggestions on someone to contact?
    Why not just buy a S&W for your next wheel gun?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Great report Rollo!

To date, I've left my SP-101's stock, but I've been really drooling over those Secret Service grips for a while now. May have to spring for a pair.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Very good review Rollo. Well done.

I personally like the stock grips the best. I like the way they look and I like the way they feel. They have the added benefit of not costing anything extra too!
    Bark'n likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I hear ya Mike, I haven't had any troubles keeping the stock grips.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links