My choice is narrowed down to two

This is a discussion on My choice is narrowed down to two within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the 1911 bug. I will scratch that itch later this summer. My two choices to cure that itch are the Springfield Armory Loaded ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My choice is narrowed down to two

My choice is narrowed down to two

I have the 1911 bug. I will scratch that itch later this summer. My two choices to cure that itch are the Springfield Armory Loaded Champion( 4 inch barrel) or the Colt combat commander. Owners of one or both feel free to weigh in. Feel free to comment.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know the differences between the Colt Combat Commander and just a regular Commander are, but I have the regular Commander and love it. Once it gets cold enough outside to wear a coat it's all I'll carry, no questions asked. Probably the pistol I'm most accurate with too. Never had a single malfunction or any problems whatsoever.

Back when I was looking at getting a 1911 I was choosing between brands, mostly between Springfield and Colt rather than others. Springfields are great, but in the end I decided to go ahead and spring the extra cash for a Colt. The name carries a lot of respect, and they hold on to their value strongly because of it.

Oh yes...my Commander and I get along quite well. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I would opt for the Springfield. That name also carries a lot of respect as does the CS if you have a problem and they hold their value well too.......and it is less out of pocket.JMO and YMMV

Both would serve you well. Looking for a Commander sized gun, I ended up with an STI Ranger and am quite happy with it.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I would also check out what Kimber has to offer.

I have had both, and my thoughts are they are equal in build and function , however, might as well get the original, the rampant pony! I too have developed the bug, and that will be my choice.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'm looking to add another pony to the 1911 stable sometime this year when the right deal comes along. I've always had good luck with all Colt products I've had, automatic or revolver. I'll go with Colt again.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Go Colt in my opinion. They were the original.

I believe either would be a good choice. SA Champions can be hard to find. I think the commander size feels the best in hand. Not on your list but I just traded my Kimber 4" SIS for the new S&W "E" series 1911 commander sized bobtail. A great decision. Flawless out of box for first 150 rounds, 50 white box roundnose, 50 handloaded roundnose, and 50 handloaded JHP. Excellent trigger, accuracy, and looks great. S&W cs only second to SA IMO.

They both make a mighty fine .45 for me it would
    Have to come down to price.

sgb
    I'd go with the Colt Commander over the Springfield Champion. The combat commander is steel framed, if you want a lighter weight gun go with the Commander ................... personally I like this Wiley Clapp Commander.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

CMR
    I had feed problems with my Champion. Sent it back a few times and the problem was never corrected.
    So with that, I tend to stray away from Springfield's.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

I would go for the Colt. But both guns are great carry guns.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    I owned a Springfield Loaded Champion. Shot like a dream out of the box, except, for the fact it would not feed JHP ammo. A trip back to the factory resolved that issue. If your purchasing new, the Springer will have a Lifetime Warranty for the original owner, so any problems will be covered.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Tough call, either would make a fine weapon.
    Which one seems to be calling your name a little louder?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links