Snubbie grip question

Snubbie grip question

This is a discussion on Snubbie grip question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a new S&W 642 that is probably going to end up as my main carry once I've got all the details worked out... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snubbie grip question

Snubbie grip question

I've got a new S&W 642 that is probably going to end up as my main carry once I've got all the details worked out...

My question: What are the best possible grips I can put on this thing? The stock ones are pretty nice, but I would like to put ones on that allow maximum shock absorption (to allow the hottest loads I can get away with), while not changing the overall size/concealability/speed of draw factors. (Meaning no Hogue monogrip, way too fat and sticky).

Some of the Pachmayr ones look nice, anyone have a recommendation?
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

You might want to look at the Crimson Trace LG-405 laser grip. It was designed with a recoil-absorbing pocket on the backstrap. It does make a difference compared to the standard grip in terms of felt recoil, plus you have the added benefit of the laser sights, if that appeals to you.

Administrator
    The Pachmayr "Decelerator" grips have about the best recoil absorption level to date.

http://www.pachmayr.com/revolver-grip-details.php

thanks, those are both interesting... but one other thing, I would like to find ones they came as high as the top of the backstrap (or is that wishful thinking?)
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

I have a crimson trace laser on my smith 442, and some wood grips on my 642. The Ct grips do absorb recoil, but are a little longer than the stock grips. You can still pocket carry with it though. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    IMHO, you won't find what you described. Anything that absorbs more recoil will have a larger footprint than the OEM grips. The pachmyr and hogue do a great job on the recoil but they're definitely larger. the Crimson trace LG-403 is about the same size and may help a bit with recoil do to the extra material over the back strap (higher up) but I've never fired one with this grip and it doesn't look like enough material to make a real difference. Also, that grip is very narrow with hard sides and I didn't like the feel of it at all!!

If you want lower felt recoil you need to go Hogue or Pachmry, if you want the best of all worlds the OEM's a almost impossible to beat. If you want pretty go wood.

It really is about that simple.
    Gideon

I have the LG-105 grips on my j-frames because I primarily pocket carry and they are smaller than the 305 and 405.

The wifes 642 has the CT grips. Even without the laser they are a good grip. My Mod 60 stock grips shoot better. I think the Mod 60 grips are dirt cheap. Might even be made by Uncle Mike's.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Have a hydra port job done for a different way of solving shock absorpsion
    It will make a very major difference
    Last edited by danlct; April 7th, 2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by danlct View Post
    Does that rob power? Where's a good place to have that done? How much does that typically cost?

Quote Originally Posted by danlct View Post
    I'd be wary of porting any gun that may need to be fired from retention, or inside a pocket.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    There is no grip that will absorb felt recoil or make the j frame easier to shoot with hot loads since the problem is that you are firing a .38 special + P cartridge from a 1.875" barrel and an aluminum alloy frame that only weighs 15oz. It's called physics.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I'd be wary of porting any gun that may need to be fired from retention, or inside a pocket.
    bet that could hurt. being able to fire from inside something is one of those unique hammerless features it would be a shame to loose.

Altamont wood boot grips

I use Altamont dymondwood boot grips on my model 642, as shown below. I like these because of their short length for easy concealment, the finger grooves to lock into my hand, and the durability and looks of the dymondwood.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I do like the Pachmayr Gripper grips but they do affect concealment factor. I decided on the S&W full size synthetic grips from the S&W online store. They conceal better and do increase control and help with the recoil. Not as much as the Pachmayers but still helps alot. Either one might suit you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links