CCW reliability is No.1. What are the other requirements that are paramount for you?

This is a discussion on CCW reliability is No.1. What are the other requirements that are paramount for you? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1- Reliability all the rest are of equal value. Some times one jumps out and waves a hand. And says it should be number 2. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CCW reliability is No.1. What are the other requirements that are paramount for you?

1- Reliability all the rest are of equal value.
    Some times one jumps out and waves a hand. And says it should be number 2. So I carefully listen to the reasons and evaluate all arguments, and make a decision from there. I therefore own 3 ccw's.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    1-Reliable
    2-Accurate
    3-Proven modern military or police caliber
    4-Concealable (This one is a bit vague since it is made up of my three C's , Can I get to it/Concealable/Comfort.)
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

1. Reliability
    2. Action, has to be DA/SA with decocker or hammer action DAO
    3. Accuracy
    4. Ammo Availability
    5. Ergonomics

As with the OP, handgun reliability has to be the #1, 2, and 3 consideration. For me, #4 is accuracy with speed at SD ranges. #5 is caliber--to me, bigger is better (I prefer 45 acp). Weapon capacity, width, length, or weight are pretty much secondary factors in my carry decision.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

For me

1) Reliability
    2) My natural ability with the weapon

The second encompases fit in hand, sights that set up easily for my eye, and my ability to easily and naturally be accurate with the weapon. It's a gun that intuitively fits me and I find easy to perform very well with. Size and weight don't really matter unless circumstances dictate a particular mode of carry. I have found with the proper belt and a variety of holsters I can conceal even large heavy pistols.

Guns that fit these requirements for me are the Ruger P95, XD40sc, S&W 442, Ruger SP101. These four guns are like extensions of my hand and I am able to meet most modes of carry with one or more of these.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

cj
    The top trio for me (has to have all 3, or I'm unlikely to really carry it...and yes, I've got a few of them):
    Reliability, size/weight, caliber (.380 or larger...prefer 9mm or larger)

Next is my ability to shoot it acceptably (so ergonomics, accuracy, etc.)
    Then ammunition cost/availability

Cool

Reliability - job one go bang each and every time.

Caliber- usually as large as I can conceal well.

Combat accurracy- every handgun I own Browning, Glock, Ruger , S&W and even the Diamondback BUG fits this requirement.

Ammo Capacity- never less than 5 with a reload and that's .357.

I like .45 ACP and carry that round every chance I get in a G-21. In the hotter summer months a G-23. If I am lonley for a .45 in the heat of summer then my G-36.

Good article by the OP.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    1) reliability
    2) Usability (Open Carry, Conceal Carry, Target Gun, 3-Gun capable or 'competition' even only in stock class)
    3.) Ergos- it has to fit my hand to do all the things listed above very well^^)
    4.) Capacity- more than 10 rounds
    My answer The M&P40
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I'm with Old School. Reliability and as large as I can get away with carrying. I particularly don't like smaller and lighter because I don't care for the handling characteristics or the practical accuracy of the stunted ones. They are only for BUG use in my view, not for primary carry.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Not many would disagree that Firearm reliability should be the pinnacle of all factors that form our decision to carry a weapon that one day may have to be used to save our six. I don't know about y'all, but above everything else, it is No.1 thing that gives me the most comfort and confidence about carrying my CCW.

What are the mandatory factors or requirements that you place after reliability, in choosing your CCW?

Is it Weight, Capacity, Size, Caliber, Barrel Length, SA, DA, DAO, Grip Angle, with or w/o Safety, Adjustable Sights,...etc..,etc ? Does it have to be a tack driver out to 25 yards, or superb or adequate COM accuracy out to 21 feet..?

My personal preference for my primary CCW is as follows:
    1- Reliability
    2- Caliber (45ACP)
    3- Size (the thinner, the better)
    4- Weight (the lighter, the better)
    5- Superb accuracy out to 21 feet

Capacity, or lack thereof, has never been a deal breaker for me.

Do you dispute that Reliability should be the No.1 requirement?

What are your requirements??
    Reliability, weight, and size. Caliber doesn't matter. Anything 38 and above will be effective with proper and repeated shot placement. Accuracy is not even a requirement for me because you wont be aiming so anything you train with and become proficient with will suffice. Most weapons are way more accurate than most shooters, practice brings that up to par.

Well heck, let me be the first to disagree. But let me first qualify by saying my disagreement isn't with the above posts terms of priorities, it's the numerical value of importance.

So here's my way of choosing.
    Reliability is important. But if the trigger sucks, it cancels the whole deal.
    If the reliability is there, and the trigger is excellent, but the sights are not for me, it cancels the deal.
    If reliability, trigger and sights are perfect for my uses and likes, but the ergos don't do it for me, it cancels the deal.

Now, most of these things can be changed or fixed to make the weapon the ultimate for me. But I cannot really label reliability as the most important if everything else makes it impossible to hit with. For me, everything must be number 1, there are no 2,3, ect.

Just wanted to add something different from my perspective on the issue.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I’m also going to disagree with the priorities.

My priorities.

1. Bullet Performance.
    2. Reliability.

The above is why I carry a revolver.

Bullet performance. In the following ND, this poor man should NOT have the wounds he has. The majority of his leg should be missing if the high priced SD ammo had performed as advertised.

My story -the leg wounds

Chris

Well, I am relatively new to CCing. So my priorities are probably a little different than an experienced carrier and shooter. These were the priorities that lead me to purchase my first, and currently, only handgun.

1) Reliablity. This is a self defense weapon, so I wanted one that always went bang.
    2) Size, but not necessarily weight. I wanted a gun that I could shoot reliably and that I wouldn't fumble with. This meant a full size grip and a decent barrel length so that I could get my sights on target a little easier.
    3) Safety features. Since I am kinda a newb, I wanted a gun that had lots of built in features. Not to rely on them, but to have comfort that they are there.
    4) Accuracy.
    5) Caliber (although I only have 1 caliber at the moment)
    6) Weight

Purchased an XD .40 4" for EDC and have been happy with it, ever since. I still wouldn't have purchased a different gun if I could go back and do it over again.

VIP Member
    I am going to change up the priorities a bit here.

1. Safety - not an external safety, but general safety. If the gun can go off from movement or bumping, then it is a non-starter for me for CCW. Fortunately there are not many that fall in this category any more.
    2. Reliability
    3. Accuracy
    4. Concealability of both the gun and reloads.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Very interesting commentary, folks.

Just a reminder to all. ..

The parameters and rank of importance in *Choosing a primary CCW* does not necessarily coincide with the same ideology used when *Purchasing a handgun with the intent that it will become your primary CCW*.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links