CCW reliability is No.1. What are the other requirements that are paramount for you?

This is a discussion on CCW reliability is No.1. What are the other requirements that are paramount for you? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would rank my accuracy (within normal SD ranges) and reliability as equals atop my list. If it goes bang every time, and you miss, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CCW reliability is No.1. What are the other requirements that are paramount for you?

I would rank my accuracy (within normal SD ranges) and reliability as equals atop my list. If it goes bang every time, and you miss, the reliability does you no good. My carry guns have to have both.

Most of the other factors can be practiced and or improved, but are also essential -

This one relates as much to the holster system and clothing as it does the weapon, but ease of deployment. Generally, when I buy a carry weapon, I already have a couple of ideas of which holster system would best work.

Next for me is the manual of arms. Comfort with the operation of the handgun is essential.

Sights are also on my list. The sights that come on a gun won't stop me from buying it, but available of replacement will. All of my carry guns have tritium night sights, and are generally in the Novak style.

Caliber would be next. I prefer a .45ACP, but also carry 9mm and .40S&W. I don't carry a .380 as a primary, but will occasionally use it as a BUG or spot defense weapon.

Size and weight are also factors to consider, but are generally addressed with holster selection. A good holster can make a heavy gun comfortable to carry. My frame and lifestyle lend themselves well to both IWB and shoulder holster carry, but not pocket or OWB.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    1. Reliability
    2. Caliber
    3. Accuracy

All of the rest is a give and take with the number of guns that I have.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Reliability
    Fit to my hand
    Caliber
    Accuracy

I agree on hand fitment. Becoming proficient with you carry piece is a big part of the puzzle.

If the piece is too small, too large, too heavy, or if you feel the sights are inadequate, it may hinder your ability to become proficient with it's operation. In turn, your confidence level will take a hit. This is when the Piece starts getting left at home. NOT a good thing..!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

capacity and reliability of the ammo I use.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Not many would disagree that Firearm reliability should be the pinnacle of all factors that form our decision to carry a weapon that one day may have to be used to save our six. I don't know about y'all, but above everything else, it is No.1 thing that gives me the most comfort and confidence about carrying my CCW.

What are the mandatory factors or requirements that you place after reliability, in choosing your CCW?

Is it Weight, Capacity, Size, Caliber, Barrel Length, SA, DA, DAO, Grip Angle, with or w/o Safety, Adjustable Sights,...etc..,etc ? Does it have to be a tack driver out to 25 yards, or superb or adequate COM accuracy out to 21 feet..?

My personal preference for my primary CCW is as follows:
    1- Reliability
    2- Caliber (45ACP)
    3- Size (the thinner, the better)
    4- Weight (the lighter, the better)
    5- Superb accuracy out to 21 feet

Capacity, or lack thereof, has never been a deal breaker for me.

Do you dispute that Reliability should be the No.1 requirement?

What are your requirements??
    That I can get the thing out from concealment, fire on target with multiple shots and do it QUICK.

Reliability
    ease of carry
    accuracy
    caliber
    capasity
    mitchellh likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Good question and good answers. Obviously everyone has sort of a different order/set of requirements, though we are all in the same basic league.

IMHO, ultimately we need to be confident and satisfied with our choice of weapon and our ability to use it under pressure.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    1. reliability
    2. comfort - not carry comfort, but comfort that it will handle anything I need it too. (usually 10mm)
    3. accuracy
    4. carry comfort
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Reliability, everything else is the reason my wife says I have too many guns.

Reliability
    Carry comfort
    accuracy
    capacity

gig
    I find this discussion rather interesting, if not intriguing.......
    If "reliability" is truely the No. 1 concern; then why is not all other discussion centered around revolvers?
    What am I missing here? Are not revolvers (as a group) more reliable than semi-auto's?

Hello, gig.

You pose a very good question. Allow me tor answer it this way.

Revolvers have a perception to be more reliable than a semi-automatic pistol, but they are not 100% fail proof. Anything mechanical will eventually fail. If you factor in human error and gross maintenance negligence, revolvers will be susceptible to failure, too. The platform that has a greater propensity for failure is usually traced back to design flaws, misuse and neglect.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    All three are necessary:
    1. reliability
    2. shot placement I can achieve with it at combat distances, speeds, and positions.
    3. concealability
    Result: My primary carry gun is a Glock 26, I carry an LCP when only deep concealment works.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I usually carry a trusty old M36 in .38 Special....for me reliability, accuracy to 7 yards is most important....but I have been rethinking caliber...and I am going back to the .41 mag....a little less concealable...however....a little more formidable horse power...
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links