CCW reliability is No.1. What are the other requirements that are paramount for you?

This is a discussion on CCW reliability is No.1. What are the other requirements that are paramount for you? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1. Reliability: It must always go bang when it's loaded and I pull the trigger, and it must never go bang unless I pull the ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CCW reliability is No.1. What are the other requirements that are paramount for you?

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    1. Reliability: It must always go bang when it's loaded and I pull the trigger, and it must never go bang unless I pull the trigger.
    2. Ergonomics: How thin it is and how much it weighs plays into this, but it's not the only factor. I can really only tell this when I pick a gun up. Can I grip it well, and does it point naturally, aligning the sights without me looking?
    3. Shootability: Does the combination of caliber and ergonomics make practice tolerable?
    4. Power: Is it in a caliber considered suitable for self-defense?
    5. Cost: Is it affordable, and could I afford to replace it should it be confiscated as the result of a defensive shooting?
    Hakkaa päälle!

2. Remove Ads

gig
    I am still finding the answers of various members most interesting in this thread. I still wonder if we are being completely honest with ourselves (myself included) in our responses; but as yet I think I have failed to make my point.

Take for example post #61, SamRudolph, I am in no way picking on you; but using your response as only an example because it is the closest.
    The list is:
    1. Reliability
    2. Ergonomics
    3. Shootability
    4. Power
    5. Cost

Now I ask: do most of us seek out a group of the most reliable pistols (go bang everytime the trigger is pulled) and then choose from that list on the basis of the next 2-5 reasons?
    Or do we in reality find a group of pistols that meet the last 4 criteria and then pick the most reliable from that group?

I mean when does cost over ride reliability and if it does; then has not cost become more important than reliability?
    If there is a handgun out there that goes bang everytime the trigger is pulled; but yet is affordable, I want to know the make and model.

Quote Originally Posted by gig View Post
    I am still finding the answers of various members most interesting in this thread. I still wonder if we are being completely honest with ourselves (myself included) in our responses; but as yet I think I have failed to make my point.

Take for example post #61, SamRudolph, I am in no way picking on you; but using your response as only an example because it is the closest.
    The list is:
    1. Reliability
    2. Ergonomics
    3. Shootability
    4. Power
    5. Cost

Now I ask: do most of us seek out a group of the most reliable pistols (go bang everytime the trigger is pulled) and then choose from that list on the basis of the next 2-5 reasons?
    Or do we in reality find a group of pistols that meet the last 4 criteria and then pick the most reliable from that group?

I mean when does cost over ride reliability and if it does; then has not cost become more important than reliability?
    If there is a handgun out there that goes bang everytime the trigger is pulled; but yet is affordable, I want to know the make and model.
    I have a S&W Sigma 9mm, $300 nib, It has a terrible trigger, but it goes bang every time it's pulled. It's not my favorite pistol, but they are cheap and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    I have a S&W Sigma 9mm, $300 nib, It has a terrible trigger, but it goes bang every time it's pulled. It's not my favorite pistol, but they are cheap and reliable.
    Great point.

Looks good, feels good, shoots good, trigger's good, weight's good, conceals good and capacity's good won't do you Any Good, if it ain't reliable.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links