CCW reliability is No.1. What are the other requirements that are paramount for you?

This is a discussion on CCW reliability is No.1. What are the other requirements that are paramount for you? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not many would disagree that Firearm reliability should be the pinnacle of all factors that form our decision to carry a weapon that one day ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CCW reliability is No.1. What are the other requirements that are paramount for you?

CCW reliability is No.1. What are the other requirements that are paramount for you?

Not many would disagree that Firearm reliability should be the pinnacle of all factors that form our decision to carry a weapon that one day may have to be used to save our six. I don't know about y'all, but above everything else, it is No.1 thing that gives me the most comfort and confidence about carrying my CCW.

What are the mandatory factors or requirements that you place after reliability, in choosing your CCW?

Is it Weight, Capacity, Size, Caliber, Barrel Length, SA, DA, DAO, Grip Angle, with or w/o Safety, Adjustable Sights,...etc..,etc ? Does it have to be a tack driver out to 25 yards, or superb or adequate COM accuracy out to 21 feet..?

My personal preference for my primary CCW is as follows:
    1- Reliability
    2- Caliber (45ACP)
    3- Size (the thinner, the better)
    4- Weight (the lighter, the better)
    5- Superb accuracy out to 21 feet

Capacity, or lack thereof, has never been a deal breaker for me.

Do you dispute that Reliability should be the No.1 requirement?

What are your requirements??
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

2. Remove Ads

1. Reliability - Undoubtedly the most important.
    2. Size - Thinner and smaller is better
    3. Weight - If it's not lighter than a Glock 19, I haven't been motivated to carry it.
    4. Crimson Trace Laser - I like to have a laser on all my carry guns. IMO, an important tool to have in your toolbox if you ever need it.

1. Reliability
    2. Accuracy at typical combat distance
    3. Concealable
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    For numero uno, reliability is paramount.

Number two is caliber. And capacity. And ergonomics.

Number three is weight.

See how silly this is? You have to total the entire gestalt and make a decision that works for your scenario.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

1. Reliability - most important.
    2. Size - the smaller and lighter the better for me
    3. Ergonomics - If it fits my hand I will shoot it better
    4 - My ability to shoot it accurately.

Caliber has not been a big issue for me. I own and from time to time carry 9mm, .40, .357 or .38, i will take a hit with a .38 or .380 over a bunch of misses with a .45 any day.
    oneshot likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

1. Reliablity
    2. Accuracy
    3. Concealabilty
    4. Weight
    5. Shininess/cool factor
    WHEC724 likes this.

I don't dispute any points bought up. Something that I can carry comfortable and coceal easy ranks just as high as anything brought up. I usually carry a S&W Mod 60 or a 1911. Both are easy to carry and have enough power. Everything else seems toeither be guns that I carry for a couple of weeks and put back in the safe, or something like the G22 that I only carry in a high risk area (and for some reason usually what I pick to carry on vacation) or as BU like the LCP. I would not carry any gun that was not accurate or reliable, but that's a given. I would not carry a high dollar gun into a high risk area if I had a viable alternative. Thats what Glocks are for.
    SpringerXD likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

So far, Great input from all. Thanks for participating and sharing your thoughts.!

@ shockwave: I agree that it takes multiple subjective and objective factors when choosing a primary CCW. But the rank of importance of the requirements, or factors, are what determines our ability to choose our carry weapons. Agree?

Or when choosing a CCW, do you just walk into the LGS and purchase the first handgun you see..?

I carry different in the summer as oppossed to the winter. In the summer i tend to carry a thinner lighter pistol and heaver in the fall
    winter time. But all have to be reliable and accurate.

As a close corollary to your No. 2 (caliber), I would add availability of ammunition. 10mm or .357 Sig may be your idea of the best fight stopper since the M60, but if you're in East Jibrooney and the local gun shop or Wal-Mart doesn't stock it, what are your options? Just something else to consider in the grand scheme of things.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

#1. Reliability
    #2. Accuracy
    #3. hmmmm Doesn't really matter after that to me. Whether it's a .380 or my .44 Mag.

Reliability and accuracy are the only things I concern myself over. The rest is just gravy.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

1. Reliability
    2. Concealability
    3. Capacity
    4. Caliber
    5. Attractiveness (to me)
    6. Cost
    7. Availability of ammo
    20. Holster availability (I make my own) ;)

Caliber and capacity are inversely intertwined for me, with regards to concealability. If I'm going for a small gun, I'd rather have 10-12 rounds of 9mm than 6 rounds of .45. If I'm carrying a full size gun, I might as well carry a larger caliber. But I prefer 10+ round capacity.

@ gasmitty: Very good point. Storing ammo for handguns that fire a-typical ammo, or wildcat loads, is something one should strongly consider before embarking on a trip, ..especially to E. Jibrooney.

1. Reliability
    2. Concealability
    3. Accuracy
    After that, as much power as I can pack into the above requirements. Up until now that has been my PM9 with 6+1 and a spare mag of 7. However, taking all the above into account, I'm starting to lean towards my 642 over the 9. It's actually a lot more accurate than I thought it could be, and even though it's just 5 shots, it is 5 for sure. It's invisible in appendix carry under a t-shirt. Draw from there is fast. And then two speedloaders fit in the front pocket comfortably enough to forget them, bringing total rounds to 15. There's also a strictly emotional component at work, which isn't as dumb as it sounds. I feel a level of comfort with and flat-out attraction to this gun. Bottom line, that makes me want to train more.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

@ red13: I agree. Concealing a short barreled handgun via AIWB carry is an effortless task. It's my No.1 method of carry.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links